Best Deal on a New Yamaha!

12oclocker

I'm eyeballing the new WR250X, anyone know which Yamaha dealers are the easiest to talk down in price, I want to get the out the door price as low as I can possibly get them down too. I will be paying cash and not financing anything. Looking to buy from somewhere near the dayton area. If anyone works at any dealerships or anything or have some good info, let me know! Thanks guys!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from Competition, but Im sure you already knew that. You might get a good deal at Southside even tho their service/parts sucks ass, but worth a try on their sales dept. I have always heard good things about Joes. Try calling KC and see if he can get you the hook up at Clinton County motosports. he knows the owner or something like that

Guarantee Southside will beat HNW and any CBus dealers.

If you think the service dept. sucks, talk to Nutter. They have turned it around a bit over there.

If you go to Southside, ask for Timmy and tell him you talked to a guy who said they'd be the cheapest around. Tell him you don't want to go dealer to dealer and want the rock bottom price.

They don't play BS games like telling you there is freight, prep and set-up like a lot of dealers do. There's no such thing as prep and freight or set-up...

PM me and I will give you my info and you can tell Tim I sent you.

If they're talking about the one that I'm thinking of called Southside Yamaha(/Suzuki/Honda) off of S Dixie in Dayton, then that's the place I got my CBR. Great price after a few days of talking with them. I never made it to HNW to compare, I only know it was a lot better than my call to Competition, and it was a lot better than my visit to Middletown.

That place may be a bit hard to pin down because it's called Southside on Google Maps and such, but their website is stil yamahaoftroy.com....

Edit: fusion beat me to it...

What dealership are you talking about when you say "southside". and freight is a real charge, HNW we use a company that builds, stores and brings our bikes to our shop. the problem is most dealers try to make money off of this, We do not.

Actually, it's a "legal" charge, but in reality, the dealer cost and holdback are to be used for those charges. What you pay Custom Assembly to build the bikes is like $30-$50 each. Freight is rolled into the dealer cost amount.

Dealers charge freight, prep and related legally under law, but it is somewhat a bogus charge. If they charged $50 for prep and related, that would be fine, but many dealers tell their customers that it is $150 plus for such "fees". That's BS. I understand it is a business, but when someone tells another fellow rider that those charges are NOT required and can be removed and a dealer salesman states they are legit, you're right in a sense, but you making it sound like it is a needed charge is stretching it a bit.

I think it gets really grey especially when a dealer tells a kid that they can beat a deal only to add on hundreds of dollars more to essentially get it closer to what true dealer cost is makes it a complete smoke and mirrors trick.

When I was calling around to buy a new Ninja 250 for the wife, 3 dealers told me it was $300 something for freight and set up/prep...its all BS.

I worked at a Polaris dealer and we never charged for any of that crap. the only added fee we charged was title fee and taxes. They were believers in not screwing people like other dealerships do with their added fees

When I was calling around to buy a new Ninja 250 for the wife, 3 dealers told me it was $300 something for freight and set up/prep...its all BS.

I worked at a Polaris dealer and we never charged for any of that crap. the only added fee we charged was title fee and taxes. They were believers in not screwing people like other dealerships do with their added fees

Yeah, $300 is a typical amount they try and get. Again, the bikes come VERY much ready to go and take less than an hour to assemble. If a shop does the assembly themselves and do not use Custom Assembly, they have a guy they pay an hourly wage and not per unit assembled. He usually does odd jobs and not just assembly...

Again, Custom Assembly charges $30-$50 per unit and the fact that they pick up and store to a degree is covered. Also, some dealers try and recoup flooring costs because they either bought poorly or are slow at moving units.

Watch the "sales pitch" and make sure you ask for an OUT THE DOOR price. Tell them you want a break down as to EACH charge. Unit price, fees, title, tax, and related. If they quote you $5k on a unit and you know your tax % and the fact they cannot charge over a certain dollar amount (tax and title fees according to Ohio law) then the rest of the amount is freight and prep or whatever they call it.

Again, it is an attempt to recover from the "sale price" they quote you to get you to come to them and beat another dealer price. Meaning, they may beat another low price from a dealer by $300, but charge you $300 in freight and prep. That's not a deal...

I think making money is fine and something that dealers need to do. After all, the % of margin is low anyways. However, trying to bait a buyer in with a low price and simply adding charges on top is somewhat deceptive and wrong.

Yeah, $300 is a typical amount they try and get. Again, the bikes come VERY much ready to go and take less than an hour to assemble. If a shop does the assembly themselves and do not use Custom Assembly, they have a guy they pay an hourly wage and not per unit assembled. He usually does odd jobs and not just assembly...

Again, Custom Assembly charges $30-$50 per unit and the fact that they pick up and store to a degree is covered. Also, some dealers try and recoup flooring costs because they either bought poorly or are slow at moving units.

Watch the "sales pitch" and make sure you ask for an OUT THE DOOR price. Tell them you want a break down as to EACH charge. Unit price, fees, title, tax, and related. If they quote you $5k on a unit and you know your tax % and the fact they cannot charge over a certain dollar amount (tax and title fees according to Ohio law) then the rest of the amount is freight and prep or whatever they call it.

Again, it is an attempt to recover from the "sale price" they quote you to get you to come to them and beat another dealer price. Meaning, they may beat another low price from a dealer by $300, but charge you $300 in freight and prep. That's not a deal...

I think making money is fine and something that dealers need to do. After all, the % of margin is low anyways. However, trying to bait a buyer in with a low price and simply adding charges on top is somewhat deceptive and wrong.

You basically said what I would like to say. I know that there are many dealers in and around columbus that mark there "freight and prep" up to extreme amounts. for example the last dealer that I worked for the salesstaff would mark the freight and prep up to what ever they good get out of the customer. I have personally seen deals with 1800 dollars freight and prep on them, and this dealer did pay for the misleadings. HNW never charged a freight charge and just started charging freight about three months ago. All that said HNW is not trying to mislead, take advantage of are rob anyone

You basically said what I would like to say. I know that there are many dealers in and around columbus that mark there "freight and prep" up to extreme amounts. for example the last dealer that I worked for the salesstaff would mark the freight and prep up to what ever they good get out of the customer. I have personally seen deals with 1800 dollars freight and prep on them, and this dealer did pay for the misleadings. HNW never charged a freight charge and just started charging freight about three months ago. All that said HNW is not trying to mislead, take advantage of are rob anyone

If so, what are the freight, prep and other fees outside tax, title and license fees?

on that bike the freight is 252.00 document fee 175.00 and then 10.50 for a temp tag. thats it besides the tax, all customers also receive a 10% discount on parts and accessories for two years.

$252 is a rip off. Plain and simple. A WR250X is VERY easily only $30 for CA to put together. You're taking and plopping in another $222 extra. $175 Doc fees is close if not the max Ohio allows. That's crap.

Again, you can charge what you want, but the fact remains that a LOT of dealers will charge you straight up and not claim to have lower prices only to inflate on top with extras.

12oclock - call Gus or Tim at Southside. Or, PM me and I will get you three other dealer names and contacts that won't do this.

They won't charge you $427 in overcharged fees and you can get 10% off about anything at any dealership for that amount of time. The 10% is cool - if they didn't charge you the extra amounts they have listed.

Lame.

on that bike the freight is 252.00 document fee 175.00 and then 10.50 for a temp tag. thats it besides the tax, all customers also receive a 10% discount on parts and accessories for two years.

What is "freight" on something more substantial like say a CBR1000 or 600?

$252 is a rip off. Plain and simple. A WR250X is VERY easily only $30 for CA to put together. You're taking and plopping in another $222 extra. $175 Doc fees is close if not the max Ohio allows. That's crap.

$252 is a rip off, I agree. However that is the actual cost we pay to get that unit to us from Yamaha, then have CA build it and get it to us. We are not over charging here, and we always disclose that cost whenever prices are quoted and/or advertised. We absolutely do not try to bait people in with a lower price, only to hit them with addtional charges later.

The frieght charge obviously varies from unit to unit, but is never more than $290, and again, it's never more than our actual cost. We do not charge any type of prep fee however.

The maximum allowed for doc fees in Ohio is $250. We are one of the only dealers around (Columbus) to charge less.

thanks for the info guys, I sent you a PM Lizard 1, when I throw down cash for a bike, I want a sweet deal. I dont mind walking out eithor. They can charge fee's to the other guys that walk in the door determined to buy a bike, but if they want my sale, the're gonna make a little less profit, lol. I don't need the bike, I just want it, so if we come to a sweet deal, I'll buy it, if not, I'll wait or go somewhere else, :D

Or, if you want to do CBus, wait until Iron Pony gets up and running. The programs they are going to be doing with Yamaha bikes will be worth your time. Just not sure when it is going to unfold...

Wait, what? Iron Pony is going to become a dealer?

$252 is a rip off, I agree. However that is the actual cost we pay to get that unit to us from Yamaha, then have CA build it and get it to us. We are not over charging here, and we always disclose that cost whenever prices are quoted and/or advertised. We absolutely do not try to bait people in with a lower price, only to hit them with addtional charges later.

The frieght charge obviously varies from unit to unit, but is never more than $290, and again, it's never more than our actual cost. We do not charge any type of prep fee however.

The maximum allowed for doc fees in Ohio is $250. We are one of the only dealers around (Columbus) to charge less.

Dude, you want me to get exact figures? Yamaha doesn't charge freight. It's rolled into the dealer cost. If you want to test that, let me know. You're better off just being quiet and not getting yourself into a deeper hole...

Now, if you go and advertise your cost MINUS dealer holdback, then you can probably get freight justified, but it isn't listed as a charge to a dealer. You get the unit to you for the amount listed.

Like I stated, CA only charges $30-$50 max for assembly.

The max $250 charge is a law set by the State to make sure dealers are gouging customers. There are a LOT of dealers who charge less, but in CBus, that isn't saying much considering the dealers are pretty bad.

You then go and say you don't charge any prep fee but you say you are recouping the CA charges. They assemble it or "prep" the unit. So, you DO charge the assembly fee by placing it in the "freight" charge.

Wait, what? Iron Pony is going to become a dealer?

It's been covered in another thread and guess who are upset by it? That's right... HNW...

Not sure as to the exacts how they will do things, but I can promise they will have a low stress buying process (think Saturn where you pay what is listed) and they will also have some really cool things to add that other dealers are not doing nor cannot do.

It should be really cool. They also have some really good people in there for the Yamaha side in the likes of Lenny Baker and others who have TONS of experience and also are enthusiasts who aren't playtime riders, but guys who have had pro cards and know a thing or two about bikes.