Does Mazda code their keys? Keys lost

Science Abuse

As most of us know, our keys are not unique. Manufacturers have a series of tumblers that they cycle through. Some where, some one has keys that will work on your car.

I'm hoping that Mazda keeps track of their tumbler codes, because we are currently without keys for an 04 Mazda 6. I'm praying to the gods that we can call them, give them the VIN, and they'll be able to go back on their records and send us a key.

Are my hopes foolish?

If so, what happens to a car who's keys are gone, new ignition? :(

We'll be calling them in the morning, but if anyone knows this answer now it'll help us sleep. ;)

Call the dealership and ask them what information you need to bring to them, and they can cut a key for you on the spot.

+1, might not be cheap though. And I *think* the keys have computer chips in them, at least my 06 mazda does.

The VIN should work. I hear on my car at least there's a code on the key mazda tells you to write somewhere safe and they can do it from that or the VIN.

+1, when i bought my car in one of the bags came a little metal tag on a keychain, it has some security code on it that you can reference in you lose your keys, they said to store it somewhere safe out of the car, but I bought mine new so most people might never get that from a used car.

Bring the title, to prove its yours. I went through this once with an ex that lost the keys to her jeep. The dealer didn't charge me any extra over making any other copy, but that key didn't have any kind of chips or programming or any of that.

Thanks for the good news and tips guys. It's a bit steep, but that's the price ya pay I guess.

I don't "think" the keys have a chip, where is the chip in yours? The only experience I've had with chipped keys was GM. Those had them conspicuously displayed in the shank of the key.

Like everyone said, you should be able to give them the VIN and prove the ownership of the car (title or memo title) and they can cut you a new one. I am pretty sure you key will have a chip in it. I would say atleast 95% of all new cars out there are going to have a chip in the key. It may be expensive, but you got to pay to play.