for those who say you cant ride in the rain

kawi kid

That's what it looked like at Indy gp this year. It's Incredible the weather that they raced in....not just rode in , but raced. On the last day, Sunday, conditions were at the worst. So, it's for sure possible, but the tires become even more crucial. Mind over matter helps also.

There's a little more to it than that. :D

However, a good set of rain tires on the track can be a lot of fun

Hey Todd you been on Nelson when the pond is there just over the Cross over road out of the kink into 12?

Rain tires make rain riding a lot more relaxing.. Aint nothing like knee down in a down hill off camber chicane or WOT on the banking in the tri-oval at Nashville in the rain...

I had lost all confidence in street tires in the rain at Mid OH when I lost the front dang near vertical in the keyhole. Never touched the brakes, was on positive throttle but neutral, 25 mph, hanging off the bike, and still front said buh bye.

Hey Todd you been on Nelson when the pond is there just over the Cross over road out of the kink into 12?

Rain tires make rain riding a lot more relaxing.. Aint nothing like knee down in a down hill off camber chicane or WOT on the banking in the tri-oval at Nashville in the rain...

I had lost all confidence in street tires in the rain at Mid OH when I lost the front dang near vertical in the keyhole. Never touched the brakes, was on positive throttle but neutral, 25 mph, hanging off the bike, and still front said buh bye.

I've raced Nelson plenty of times in the rain, and the entrance to 12 is my FAVORITE place to pass - wet or dry, but especially in the rain.

Street tires suck at the track - period. You should know better :D

There's a little more to it than that. :D

However, a good set of rain tires on the track can be a lot of fun

ok well maybe but thats the basic jist of it. slow is smooth and smooth is fast...

why were you vertical in the keyhole...? There is a dip in the middle of the keyhole as you bring the bike back in for the second apex, i lost my front as well same conditions as you (+throttle hanging off etc). Brand new rear PP and a end of two season old front PP. Im not saying it wasn't something i did, but i could be the tire age and condition as well.

Street tires in the rain on a track anywhere isn't good. Also, you don't have to touch the brakes to load the front. I suspect you loaded the front with even a little off the throttle. Riders do it w/o knowing...

How do you hang off a bike at 25mph?

Street tires in the rain on a track anywhere isn't good. Also, you don't have to touch the brakes to load the front. I suspect you loaded the front with even a little off the throttle. Riders do it w/o knowing...

How do you hang off a bike at 25mph?

Same as you do other way but with the bike near vertical.. I know I didn't roll off the gas as that was one thing I made sure I didn't do.

The only thing I can think of was oil. The CLASS day was right after Vintage days and there was oil spills all day. One they shut the track down for 30 minutes to clean up. A guy left a oil trail from T1 to the back straight.

I was in the middle of the concrete in the Keyhole (didn't want to try and hold tight as if I missed the seam change in the rain I was sure of to put me down), and lost the front just as it really starts to drop downhill when the front just exit stage left.

Of course, I know you lean off a degree at slower speeds, but I see a picture in my mind of a guy leaned WAY off his bike while it is straight up and down. Like the video games at Dave and Busters...:D

That is precisely what I was doing LOL. I remember sliding on my rear off into the grass just going WTH... Got up picked the bike off then rode back in the grass pretty much the whole way to the pits.

I've raced Nelson plenty of times in the rain, and the entrance to 12 is my FAVORITE place to pass - wet or dry, but especially in the rain.

Street tires suck at the track - period. You should know better :D

Well I had just wadded my 01 at Putnam 3 weeks before and was at my dad's Christmas Day present school CLASS at mid OH on my new 03 1k...

I have never been on the track with streets since then.. Though I did run Nahshville drying with the DOTs as I didn't want to destroy my rains first day on them.

Well I had just wadded my 01 at Putnam 3 weeks before and was at my dad's Christmas Day present school CLASS at mid OH on my new 03 1k...

I have never been on the track with streets since then.. Though I did run Nahshville drying with the DOTs as I didn't want to destroy my rains first day on them.

DOT's are way different than a street tire.

But you already knew that....:cool:

Should have been in Indy this year for the GP race... massive rain + 70mph wind.

I was in the Stands in T7 at the top. With one leg wrapped under the seat in front, and an umbrella over my back leaning against the railing...

When the whole thing would move it was :eek:

DOT's are way different than a street tire.

But you already knew that....:cool:

Yeah DOTs should have less grip in the wet without silica.. But since there wasn't any standing water to tread they did fine. And Nashville has a lot of grip in the wet. Not like our Ice rinks we have up here.

Still that puddle at Nelson after the crossover road was nasty... I remember in the 20 lap race after about 6-7 laps of getting hit with a few gallons in the chest I got in front of 3rd or 4th so I had clean track..