Can I get a general consesus on what's right here please....

Bam

Who Should Pay The Ticket?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Pay The Ticket?

• Driver = Ex GF
    • Car Owner = Me
    • Split the ticket between both of us.

EDIT: Thanks to SpaceGhost for adding a poll, PLEASE vote guys!

Yesterday I lent my car to my EX-girlfriend because her car had a check engine light and I knew it needed front brake pads, no problem, being the nice guy I am I told her I'd replace the front pads and check out the engine light.

She calls me at like 5pm last night and tells me that SHE got a ticket in MY CAR, for window tint and no front plate The window tint was just a warning, but the cop wrote a $100 ticket for no front plate. Ok that sucks but my car wasn't drilled when I bought it new for a front plate so I never put one on, she knew this and I've had this car for damn near 2 years, of which we dated for most of it.

Anyways, she said "It's your car, you gotta pay it" I said, who's name is on the ticket? Of course its hers, but she's bitching and complaining and moaning. She had the audacity to come in my work last night and bitch me out in front of my employees/customers and take her car back, before I had worked on it.

Fuck, I wrote a godamn book..

CLIFFNOTES... Ex girlfried borrowed my car so I could fix her car, she got a $100 ticket for no front plate while driving my car and is insisting I pay it...who should pay it?

I feel bad for her, but at the same time I don't. She knew she was driving my car, and SHE got the ticket.

If she knows that your car had no front plate and willingly drove it, then I would say she's responsible for whatever happens while she's driving it. It could've just as easily happened while you were driving, but it didn't so she is at fault.

I think you should have to pay the ticket, you are fixing her car for her, but its not her fault that you havent put the plates on. Think of it this way, if she had gotten in an accident would you expect that she pay your deductible for your insurance? Because I would and she wouldn't have to by law, but its the right thing to do because it was her fault, its her fault she pays, this is the same situation but reversed, its your fault you dont have the front plate, you know its an Ohio law, you pay the ticket. At least that's how I think of it.

I think you should have to pay the ticket, you are fixing her car for her, but its not her fault that you havent put the plates on. Think of it this way, if she had gotten in an accident would you expect that she pay your deductible for your insurance? Because I would and she wouldn't have to by law, but its the right thing to do because it was her fault, its her fault she pays, this is the same situation but reversed, its your fault you dont have the front plate, you know its an Ohio law, you pay the ticket. At least that's how I think of it.

You are never driving my car again... :)

I don't want to split it, I was being a nice guy and fixing HER car for FREE, it needs a front brake job, that DEFINTELY costs more than $100 at a shop. I gave her the ultimatum....pay the ticket and I'll fix your car like I said I would. Or, make me pay the ticket, never talk to me again, and get RAPED paying hundreds of dollars to get your own damn car fixed.

I think my solution is fair.

My defense on the front plate thing is she drove somewhere that I NEVER HAVE, and she knows the cops are DICKS, as in, they WILL right you a ticket for 27 in a 25, because she got one there a few years ago, so yeah, they have nothing better to do than nitpick.

Make her pay it with 4 blowjobs just for her being a dick to you at work. Oh she must swallow.

Yeah I said it. =(

Nah, she never was very good at it...another reason I'm not with her anymore...;)

Fuck her. Stop talking to her. It's not like you'll be the one getting in trouble if it isn't paid.

That's what I'm worried about though. The ticket is obviously in her name, but I would think that my car info/plate info/insurance info is on record for this, and I'm worried it might follow my car rather than her as the driver...

That's what I'm worried about though. The ticket is obviously in her name, but I would think that my car info/plate info/insurance info is on record for this, and I'm worried it might follow my car rather than her as the driver...

Nope when they issue a warrant, it will be for her, she signed the ticket and it is her address on file. If someone gets a ticket in your car, your insurance does not go up the person caught does. If it followed the car, everyone would just get new plates or buy a new car instead of paying the ticket...

Adding poll at the top for mike.

Nah, she never was very good at it...another reason I'm not with her anymore...;)

They have books at the public library for "self study" on this subject. :D

Check out a few for your new girlfriend :p:p:p

They have books at the public library for "self study" on this subject. :D

Check out a few for your new girlfriend :p:p:p

Haha, she never was very interested either, sucked. But the new girl is teh shit, seriously this girl can ROCK my world, thank god I dumped the old bitch, I knew something wasn't right, lol.

you f'ed up by not putting the plates on

+1

You're the one that offered to investigate her engine light and brake issue, so loaning your car without having it "legal" is on you. You're responsible for having your car properly licensed to be driven on the street, so I wouldn't think she would need to do a walk-around on your car before driving off to make sure she's not going to get pulled over for your decision not to mount a plate on the front bumper.

Key statements:

-You offered to do the work, she didn’t ask you to. I’m betting that you offered up your car too.

-The violation is a result of your negligence and not hers.

Just because you were doing a good deed, doesn’t mitigate the fact that it is ultimately you who did not make the car road worthy. It would be courteous of her to pay the ticket since you were doing her a favor but that is her option not yours.

Man up and pay the ticket... Honestly, you would do a disservice to your masculinity by making her do so.

She has no problem putting this on you. If you haven't finished her car, don't. If you have done the work and she is still insisting, it's time to break tie's anyway. You were helping her out and she comes to you again to take care of the ticket. Your car or not. She dated you. Every cars guys girl knows the things on the car that you worry about with the cops (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore; she knew when she took the car what she was driving. Her problem ultimately, either way. If you pay, are you going to look at her the same or help her in the future? Probably not.

Yeah, it's only $100. Is it worth the trouble either way? $100 or not, she seems like a bit of a mooch. Why loose anymore time or $ with this girl? What do you get out of it?

This is easy: if you offered something illegal to her and she openly knows it but still accepts it, than obviously the fault is on her. If it were me and I ended up paying the ticket, I wouldn't fix her car.

I think you should pay it. None of those violation were her fault. And you should still fix her car for causing her all the trouble.......

The ticket is for DRIVING without a front plate. Now, it may just be me, but Matt wasn't the one driving.