Thinking of selling my Lawncare business , couple of questions.

lawnman

I am thinking of selling my lawncare business.

I have a couple of questions. When someone tries to get a loan from a bank to buy a small business, what does the bank look at ? What if any kind of paperwork would have to be filed with any government offices?

I will give some back ground of my Lawncare business.

My uncle started it in 1965 , I bought him out and took over of the business in 1990. My lawncare co. is more of a maintenance co. . Weekly mowings , mulching etc, trimming shrubs , snow removal etc. I have free reign in 90% of my yards. So whenever I think something needs to be done , it gets done.

I am the owner / sole proprietor .

Thanks for any info.

If I do decide to sell it, where should I advertise it ?

The hard thing about selling a business like a lawn care company is that fact that there is no gaurantee that the customers will stay with the new owner...obviously Im sure that the new owner will not do things quite as good as you did. Therefore it makes it hard to put a price on the actual accounts...Atleast that is my experience

The hard thing about selling a business like a lawn care company is that fact that there is no gaurantee that the customers will stay with the new owner...obviously Im sure that the new owner will not do things quite as good as you did. Therefore it makes it hard to put a price on the actual accounts...Atleast that is my experience

Maybe he has service contracts. That could potentially lure a buyer.

True. One of my employees or one of ex employee { started his own hardscapes business } wants to buy it. Now I have to decide if I will sell it.

That looks good to the banks. If it is someone that already works in the business that makes the transition much easier.

Maybe he has service contracts. That could potentially lure a buyer.

contracts are only for a season...not very luring...if you end up selling any equipment let me know. I just had a $500 brand new chain saw stolen from me...