N E One Live in the sticks...internet options.

Akula

I have 3 computers that need to get to the net. I have two laptops that need to surf at the same time. Today I have road runner but I am moving out beyond the reach of cable and dsl. I have thought about Hughes but they say VPN will be at 1/2 speed (both my wife and I are tele-commuters). So I thought about EVDO (I already have one for my laptop), but EVDO is not unlimited data and I have a PC and a MAC. What to do what to do.

My company makes a wireless AP that I can plug a USB EVDO card into and make a persistant connection but I am pretty sure I will go over limit.

Anyone have a suggestion? I can get IDSL but 144K for $120/month seems a bit crazy.

Anyone use Hughes with a VPN device?

Have the company buy you a card for your PC that runs from your cell plan. We use Cingular and speeds are right on for those that use them. Not sure if you're allowed, but you might be able to slide in the use of a second card on your plan too and have your wife get the hook up from it. I do that and no one knows/cares.

I have 3 computers that need to get to the net. I have two laptops that need to surf at the same time. Today I have road runner but I am moving out beyond the reach of cable and dsl. I have thought about Hughes but they say VPN will be at 1/2 speed (both my wife and I are tele-commuters). So I thought about EVDO (I already have one for my laptop), but EVDO is not unlimited data and I have a PC and a MAC. What to do what to do.

My company makes a wireless AP that I can plug a USB EVDO card into and make a persistant connection but I am pretty sure I will go over limit.

Anyone have a suggestion? I can get IDSL but 144K for $120/month seems a bit crazy.

all sateleite is plagged by extreme latency. If you can get a TRUE EVDO connection I know with sprint i pay 35$ a month and I got unlimited Teathering. And I've used it quite a bit when i was in the hospital getting my surgery.

you have a pm

If DSL and Cable are not available then go with wireless broadband, if you can. Verizon has unlimited wireless for $60 a month. One of my coworkers uses it at work to play WoW.

I personally would never get satellite!

Correction Verizon Wireless has Unlimited* <-- the asterisk is important to note here, data.

I have EVDO for my laptop since I travel all around, but my wife has 2 computers and I have 1. Anyone know of an EVDO Rev-a router that works with Verizon?

Anyone here have WIMAX?

Negatory ghostrider.

The only things I have ever seen in use have been the Kyrocera routers and they seemed to be quite happy.

Do you have success with EVDO from your laptop w/ VPN ?

Nortel ?Cisco ?

We have a whole host of people have have issues with EVDO + VPN. But I'm guessing like its working well for you.

:0

My VPN is working fine. My client based VPN is really L3 agnostic and isn't Nortel or Cisco. Also, I have a remote access point that builds a VPN tunnel back to my HQ office and announces my corporate SSIDs (one of our really cool remote access solutions).

We are building a opensource code that can plug a USB EVDO device in and announce an SSID on our AP70.