Boat people look here

Sam1647545489

Dr Rick, the mods do not have to be CG approved. Braided steel line is not, how many boats have you seen that on? CG is a guideline. Most people do not know that a boat does not have to be CG approved to be on the water.

I think that some may... you cant just put a regular K&N air filter on a boat and say it is a flame arrestor. But I may be wrong...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that some may... you cant just put a regular K&N air filter on a boat and say it is a flame arrestor. But I may be wrong...

The LS1 powered Malibu boats comes with an open element K&N from the factory (yes, there are LSx and LTx factory boats out there).

The LS1 powered Malibu boats comes with an open element K&N from the factory (yes, there are LSx and LTx factory boats out there).

How are they getting around the flame arrestor requirement? Or is the K&N considered a flame arrestor?

hmmm I can't help. All the boat motors I deal with at work are for offshore power boats. I have one of these in my lab.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6cdgped.jpg

What is that?

How are they getting around the flame arrestor requirement? Or is the K&N considered a flame arrestor?

They must meet state laws. State law does not require you to be coast guard approved. State law says you must have a backfire flame arrestor.

Those Ilmor Viper V10's are kicking some ass now. When they first came out they were the biggest joke in the industry.

I hate the sound of them though.

And, K&N makes a lot of marine flame arrestors, which were on the LS1 and LT1 engines marinized by Indmar.

I went to Ilmors web site.... So it is a built viper engine? They look cool. Plus they have 700 hp on 92 octane gas, not bad! Any clue on cost?

I wonder if you could mount one of those to a Berkly jet drive?

If you want to do something very diferent....

Try and score a set of Mach Z engines. The curent productin units are 4 cycle engines rated at 170 HP ~1 litre displacement.

The older ones that would be easier to find are the Rotax 809 engines. 796cc, found in the Mach Z and Mach Z LT.

http://www.dynoport.com/images/rotax800-table1.gif

With a snowmobile engine, you would lose some of your torque, but you should be able to spin your jets a few RPM higher on the top side.

As far as boost goes, it can and has been done. Arctic cat has a factory 600 with a turbo (although it is 4 stroke)

A 2 cycle would be better off with a centerfrigal type blower, there used to be a kit (now out of production I belive) for the 900cc thundercat tripples.

I will try and find more info on it later, when I am not at work.

Those Ilmor Viper V10's are kicking some ass now. When they first came out they were the biggest joke in the industry.

I hate the sound of them though.

We do those and the two Mercury Marine Racing engines. I have the smaller one with the single blower in my lab.

Sam, that is the most inefficient drivetrain on the water. The cash you will spend to make any real difference would buy you a real boat.

This is why I am goin to wait till this winter and pick up one of the new 20' sea doo speedsters. Twin S/C 215 hp each motor. GPS verified one right off the show room floor to do 75 mph. I am thinking a pulley and few other minor things and it should be close to a 90 mph gps boat. :cool:

This is why I am goin to wait till this winter and pick up one of the new 20' sea doo speedsters. Twin S/C 215 hp each motor. GPS verified one right off the show room floor to do 75 mph. I am thinking a pulley and few other minor things and it should be close to a 90 mph gps boat. :cool:

It will beat you to death. There are a lot of sacrifices to get it there, including a huge fucking pad.

Doug, what do you do?

So we can expect to see a boat for sale in the corral soon?

I've heard rumors those supercharged Sea Doo motors have issues with blowing up. That said, I still want one, and this is the one I want:

http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/SportBoat/Sport/Wake230/

Should have plenty of space, a tower that I REALLY want, ballast tanks...yeah, that will get it done. But at that price, it does have some stiff competition to deal with.

I've heard rumors those supercharged Sea Doo motors have issues with blowing up. That said, I still want one, and this is the one I want:

http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/SportBoat/Sport/Wake230/

Should have plenty of space, a tower that I REALLY want, ballast tanks...yeah, that will get it done. But at that price, it does have some stiff competition to deal with.

:cool:

:cool:

I agree, but don't forget to look at boats from people like:

http://www.malibuboats.com/

http://www.correctcraft.com/

http://www.tige.com/2007/home.html

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Front

All of those companies offer a laundry list of full inboard boats (not inboard/outboard like mine).

And of course you have high HP runabouts from Baja, Four Winns, Sea Ray, and a laundry list of other makers as well to consider. If you are going to dump the coin, I'd give a serious look to some of these other boats as well.

We do those and the two Mercury Marine Racing engines. I have the smaller one with the single blower in my lab.

Do you guys have any experience with the old HP500's? We have a problem with them wiping the #4 exhaust lobe at about 350 hours. Access to a spintron? I am bound and determined it is a harmonics issue.

you can run a dry exhaust, you just have to wrap it and provid ethe proper protection aroudn the hull... its no differnet than making an exhaust exit through a painted fender and protecting the paint. We ran one on our old Waveraider 701 after the Riva cracked... but that was my fault, not a quality issue. We did run the bildge hose into a remote bung about 18in off the main pipe and shaved the nipple off the bow of the hull. So there was a little bit of water running through it, but i still consider it to be dry... the water was only put through it to get it out of the motor and engine compartment... not to cool anything.

Do you guys have any experience with the old HP500's? We have a problem with them wiping the #4 exhaust lobe at about 350 hours. Access to a spintron? I am bound and determined it is a harmonics issue.

I dunno about the HP500s.

I have a SpinTron. PM me for more info. You would have to supply all the parts, a spare head to cut up, and a crankshaft mandrel. It's not cheap.

I dunno about the HP500s.

I have a SpinTron. PM me for more info. You would have to supply all the parts, a spare head to cut up, and a crankshaft mandrel. It's not cheap.

I know that the time is pricy, no CR discounts? ;) ;)

splnsux, that is not dry exhaust if it has water running through it. The closest pipes to dry on the market are made by Stellings, run just shy of 10k per engine. The pipes are water jacketed and water is dumped in (mixed with exhaust) at the end of the tail pipe. The last boat I saw with dry, unjacketed headers was on fire and sinking. The Sorcerer boat ran those dry Stellings, and almost caught on fire.

V8kilr-the best guy to talk to about what your berkley will handle was Don Bowers, at Dons Pump Service here in town. He died a few months ago, the next guy I would call is Dave Lenord, who is somewhere out west, I have his number at the shop, and will write it down tomorrow. Price wise, the Ilmor is a lot cheaper than a 700SCi.

43k for a seadoo..... Friend bought a 24 Outlaw that runs big numbers for 28k yesterday.

43k for a seadoo..... Friend bought a 24 Outlaw that runs big numbers for 28k yesterday.

Spec on it and where he got it. I just went to sizzle today to look at a 24 outlaw. It has the 496 375 hp motor with all options. It is their 35th anniversary edition boat. I was wondering what mph they can get out of those boats. Also what yr did he get.

Spec on it and where he got it. I just went to sizzle today to look at a 24 outlaw. It has the 496 375 hp motor with all options. It is their 35th anniversary edition boat. I was wondering what mph they can get out of those boats. Also what yr did he get.

This was a 92, the second one made, runs over 110, 830hp on just the blower motor, and a little over 1100 with the juice.

The 496's are ok, if you want to keep it 100% stock. Cast everything, crap heads, etc. Find something you like, I will look at it for free if it is local.

That 35th anniversary boat is a 23. They have had it for a couple of years now.