Print Service and Firewall Issue

TTQ B4U

Okay, so I finally got my wireless print server up and running but one issue.

My company laptop has to run Black Ice Firewall in the background in order for our VPN to allow a connection. However, Black Ice seems to cause my laptop to drop the connection to the Print Server.

Is there a way around this?

If I shut down Black Ice, the print server comes online within a few seconds. I'm not familiar with Black Ice nor is there a way I can seem to access it except through ctrl/alt/Delete or through services.msc in the run prompt?

So in essence, I can print while not on the VPN, but if I'm online in MSOutlook working in email I can't effectively print right then and there. Kinda of a bummer, but I'm closer to being fully running.

Any insight appreciated.

If your VPN is up it binds itself to all networks ports in order to maintain a secure connection.

You should be able to enter the exception into black ice but I don't know how, come on black ice as an enterprise solution?

You can open ports from the user interface. Right click on the product icon in the task tray and choose Advanced Firewall Settings, there are separate tabs for IP addresses & ports.

Both an IP address & a Port tab whose fields are blank when no changes have been made.

Select the Port tab

To Add an entry for a Port, click on Add

Enter the name, such as HTTP or DHCP

Enter port number

Enter the Type: UDP or TCP

Choose: Accept or Reject

Click on OK

Note that when doing a range of addresses or ports, one lists them with a - and no spaces between the IPs. For example: 111.222.111.222-222.111.222.111

I can't see any icon or access point to balck ice...not in systems tray. I've looked around my programs directory, but can't see it there either......and yes, Panasonic uses black ice on it's remote laptops as the firewall. now I also show windows firewall active through the control panel of XP, but I don't think that's it as my other two PC's use it too and it's fine on them.

I know it's black ice as I can shut it down and boom, the server is active again. VPN cuts out within 1-2 minutes though if black ice is shut down.

If your VPN is up it binds itself to all networks ports in order to maintain a secure connection.

You should be able to enter the exception into black ice but I don't know how, come on black ice as an enterprise solution?

You can open ports from the user interface. Right click on the product icon in the task tray and choose Advanced Firewall Settings, there are separate tabs for IP addresses & ports.

Both an IP address & a Port tab whose fields are blank when no changes have been made.

Select the Port tab

Enter port number

Click on OK

Note that when doing a range of addresses or ports, one lists them with a - and no spaces between the IPs. For example: 111.222.111.222-222.111.222.111

Select the Port tab

Enter port number

Click on OK

x2