The new JJ Abrhams movie..

DeathSandwich

It's Project Cloverfield

So what is CLOVERFIELD? Well, word from inside the company is that CLOVERFIELD is a giant monster movie, featuring something that's being referred to internally as "The Parasite," and we’re going to see a trailer for it very soon that’s been designed and shot even as we speak. I’m not sure if it’s going to be attached to TRANSFORMERS or if we’ll see it later in the summer, but it’s definitely coming soon. And the end of it should feature one of those iconic images that makes people talk about a trailer for months.

And what makes this different than any other giant monster movie? Well, as I understand it, most of the film is going to be shot using home video cameras, as if from the point of view of real people who are experiencing an attack on New York. It’s designed as a fairly small picture, all things considered, and right now, they’re working to make sure the script is going to deliver some wild thrills (like an earthquake that levels Manhattan or an oil tanker flipping over by the Statue of Liberty), but that it’s not suddenly going to turn into a giant $150 million movie. It’s a tricky balance, and if they pull off everything they’re trying to do, CLOVERFIELD could be something really groovy. Not a man in suit in sight.

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

UPDATE! A few details I want to clarify about this. JJ Abrams is not directing the film... he's too busy with prep for STAR TREK. It's just something he's overseeing. And as far as the script goes, I fully expect Herc to pitch a little green tent when he learns that it's Drew Goddard of BUFFY/ANGEL/ALIAS/LOST fame who is writing the film.

I think I poked a hornet’s nest last week when I revealed a first few details about the top-secret CLOVERFIELD, which is the film that caused Latino Review to get confused about whether or not Abrams was directing STAR TREK. It’s not their fault, frankly, because things have been airtight on this one so far. I’m not even 100% sure who’s directing it. All I know is that the film shot a trailer before there’s been a frame of real film shot, and we’re going to see that trailer soon. If I were betting, I’d say it will be in front of TRANSFORMERS, which sounds like the best place for it to play.

It’s funny... I’m getting letters now from other webmasters saying that they’re getting yelled at for publishing anything about this film. Yet so far, I haven’t heard one word back from Bad Robot or Paramount, and we’re the one place these stories have been breaking. We were the ones who first told you that it’s a giant monster movie featuring something that’s being called “The Parasite” at the moment. We’re the ones who told you that Drew Godard is writing the film. We brought you the first descriptions of the teaser trailer that will be attached to the prints of TRANSFORMERS everyone will be seeing next week.

And now... now we can tell you who is directing the film. It’s amazing to me how secretive this one is. Personally, I think it sounds great, and all the stuff I’ve heard about the script and the designs for the monster and the work they’ve been doing on the Paramount lot and over at the offices on Cloverfield (the reason for the fake title, no doubt) makes me think this is going to be one groovy movie.

Matt Reeves, a writer on FELICITY, whose only feature film so far is THE PALLBEARER with David Schwimmer and Gwenyth Paltrow, is the man who will be calling the shots onset. There are a lot of Bad Robot alumni involved in this one, but Reeves is the guy I’m most interested in at the moment. He’s directed episodes of shows like FELICITY, CONVICTION, HOMICIDE, and RELATIVITY, and he was the guy who directed the pilot for MIRACLES in 2003. I love the notion of a giant monster movie that’s all being shot from the POV of handheld video cameras, like a real event unfolding, and I wish him well with this one.

Now I just need to see that teaser finally. Remember... when you see it, there’s no title on it yet. That’s because the film doesn’t have a name at the moment, or if it does, that’s been kept completely hush-hush. For now, CLOVERFIELD is just what they’re calling it to help confuse the issue. I’m itching for someone over there to finally break their silence and speak up, ‘cause I’d love to know more. For now, here’s the tip I got today:

CLOVERFIELD, the hush hush sci-fi flick, is being directed by Matt Reeves. Matt Reeves, if you recall was creator of Felicity and screenwriter of such films as The Yards and Under Siege 2. One of the producers on this flick is Bryan Burk, a producer on LOST and Abrams' upcoming STAR TREK film.

Let's back up kids....

there's a new star trek coming out?!

back to the original topic. I saw the trailor for this movie (as im sure you guys have aswell) and it did look badass. Though you couldn't tell if it was aliens, or a natural disaster or what. Definitly looks interesting.