Movie Review: Transformers

CobraKevin

My apologies. I'm over a week late on actually getting to check this film out, but lets see what we got.

Disclaimer: Transformers was slightly before my time, and consequently I did not watch a whole lot as a kid. Therefore, this review is again not focused on historical accuracy.

Summary: Some random highschool kid Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) is on a mission to get his first car and the girl he's set his eyes on. The U.S. government is on a mission to find out who destroyed an army base and who stole vital military information from their system. Turns out, the two missions collide when the car Sam picked (or the car that picked Sam) is actually a friendly robot (Bumblebee), and the mastermind(s) behind the army base attack and the stolen files were evil robots. Earth is caught in the middle of an ancient battle between two types of robots - the noble Autobots and the dreaded Decepticons. Further investigation and provided information from both the Autobots and a secret government agency known as Sector 7 reveals that Sam's ancestor, Captain Archibald Witwicky, made one of the most prized discoveries in human history in the Arctic Circle. Sam is now in the possession of his ancestors glasses, which hold the key to obtaining a relic of unlimited power.

Pros: Unmatched special effects, plenty of comic relief, Megan Fox is ridiculously gorgeous, good storyline (given the nature of the film), and an overall amazing job of resurrecting an 80's childhood favorite into a live-action masterpiece.

Cons: [baseciv] Michael Bay sucks. [/baseciv] Note: I actually like Michael Bays films, but that's about the only gripe I think anyone could have about the movie - not liking someone who was involved in making it.

Conclusion: 5.0/5.0. No question. A film like this had a lot of room for error, but pulled it off flawlessly. Between this and Disturbia, I think Shia LaBeouf is an extremely potential up-and-coming actor, and Tyrese actually didn't suck this time around. For me, I'd say easily one of the Top 25 best movies ever. For Transformer fans, should be an easy Top 10 or maybe even 5. I do have to say, however, I did prefer Live Free or Die Hard. Both are must sees this summer, though. Get up off the computer and go. Now.

-Kevin

Guest baseciv

Gripes about the movie.

Comedic relief was pretty weak for the most part. The use of Frenzy for this in some instances was pretty stupid. (think Jar Jar Binks)

John Turturro's role as a Sector 7 agent. His underwear was ridiculous and unnecessary. I didn't the see the point of trying to further demonstrate to the audience that he was a douchebag by having him wear a ridiculous wifebeater with S7 on it.

How did a car dealership sell Bumblebee (a robot with no title) to Sam? Sam's parents seemed pretty well off, they are going to let him buy a car with no title and drive around with no insurance?

The over the top action scene at the end where Josh Duhamel is sliding on his back firing at Brawl after he jumps off the motorcycle. GAY GAY GAY!

Where Megan Fox hotwires the car? I don't know about you, but it takes a bit more to hot wire a GM vehicle than touching 2 30 inch wires together that just stick out of the dash below the steering column.

civ, seriously, are you complaining about the "unrealism" in a movie about two squads of giant transforming robots trying to take over the planet? i was just wondering.

i agree with you about turturro, though. that was just stupid.

civ, seriously, are you complaining about the "unrealism" in a movie about two squads of giant transforming robots trying to take over the planet? i was just wondering.

I agree with the above. And for the most part, despite our differences in the other thread baseciv, I do agree with a lot of your post. But in the grand scheme, those miniscule issues do not affect the overall quality of the film.

And as for Megan Fox....

http://images.google.com/images?q=Megan+Fox&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

Enjoy!

-Kevin

Guest baseciv

I think that with amount of time put into the actual physics of the robots to make sure they reacted in a lifelike and believable manner, a lot of things were overlooked which took away from the overall believability of the film.

These minor flaws could have been corrected and could have made the difference between a solid movie and an excellent one.

I think that with amount of time put into the actual physics of the robots to make sure they reacted in a lifelike and believable manner, a lot of things were overlooked which took away from the overall believability of the film.

These minor flaws could have been corrected and could have made the difference between a solid movie and an excellent one.

IT'S A FUCKING MOVIE!

seriously dude, how old are you?

Guest baseciv
seriously dude, how old are you?

I am sorry if I think the time and money put into the pre-production of the movie was wasted by a few oversights and mistakes. What does attention to detail have to do with age?

I know you probably sat there in awe in the theater screaming "Mommy, the Transformers are real," and didn't notice the mistakes. It's ok, most people didn't notice them.

Guest baseciv
Not really. I could do it to your honda.

I never said that it wasn't possible on an older honda. On the vehicle in question, she would have had to have bypassed the passlock 2, and THEN touched the wires together. Even then, I have never seen long ass wires like that on a GM vehicle. As far as my honda is concerned, you would have to do a bit more than that to hot wire it.

Guest Removed

for what...to prove that you are a stupid moron.

wow ....just wow.

peel the lower column cover off, pull out the 2 screw's, break steering lock.but then, i could just take the vin#off your car , call honda have the key made, and use my special key fob too disable your alarm.either why, im gone with your car.

Guest baseciv
for what...to prove that you are a stupid moron.

wow ....just wow.

peel the lower column cover off, pull out the 2 screw's, break steering lock.but then, i could just take the vin#off your car , call honda have the key made, and use my special key fob too disable your alarm.either why, im gone with your car.

Yes, I am stupid. You forgot one tiny little detail though, the aftermarket alarm.

Guest Removed
Yes, I am stupid. You forgot one tiny little detail though, the aftermarket alarm.

thats even easyer..hahahaha.....

no factory alarm. cake walk.

and yes, you are very stupid.

kthanksbye

Guest baseciv
thats even easyer..hahahaha.....

no factory alarm. cake walk.

and yes, you are very stupid.

kthanksbye

Well genius, you know where I live, you know what I drive and according to you, you know how to steal my car. Either come and get it or stop running your mouth pussy.

The only part I didn't like was the fight scenes. The camera was a little bit too close to really tell what was going on. Other than that the movie rocked. Civic boy.. hush. Go back to watching the Power Puff Girls.

Guest baseciv
The only part I didn't like was the fight scenes. The camera was a little bit too close to really tell what was going on. Other than that the movie rocked. Civic boy.. hush. Go back to watching the Power Puff Girls.

You mean Michael Bays traditional rapid camera movement took away from the movie for you too? "Hrmmm, I can actually have someone storyboard an intense action scene and film it straight forward, or I can drag the camera behind a car on a string and make people think they are seeing something cool....."

I am more of a Dexters Lab/Johnny Bravo type of guy.