Cost building a 4.6 and what hp potential

BDHG940

car is a 99 cobra with a novi 2k. Looking into building a motor and trying to find out what all I would be getting myself into. I really have no idea on what the hp potential is and right now its all stock internals(440rwhp). If anyone can let me know some details if you have experience and hp, let me know. I havent done anything with the car in a long time and debating on what to do. I am looking to stay PUMP GAS, what can I expect

check these guys out... http://www.dssracing.com/modular%20engines.htm back when I was doing 4.6 stuff these guys had some pretty good motors. Course that was 2 or more years ago. Rob http://www.LaSotaRacing.com would be a great person to talk to if you don't know him thru here already.

It depends on the 4.6 you're talking about. The 03-04 based 4.6 for the Cobra has the good rods, and the pistons just have too close of a piston to wall clearance. I may be selling my motor (most likely longblock, possibly just short) this winter. If you're looking for something soon, Modular Mustang Racing is going to be your best bet. Building a motor is going to cost you, and you'll need to decide what kind of setup you want. FI vs NA (personally I would do FI on a 4.6), etc...

I'm partial to the Windsor block. Upwards of 408 cubic inches can be obtained from this beast. If you check out some NMRA cars, they're normally running the Windsor, but you also have the 331, 347ci crowd aswell. N/A a windsor is usually good for upwards of the 470 RWHP mark, and not to mention parts readily availible, cheaper, and not to mention it has push rods :D