any thoughts/comments on dodge srt-4 neon

Rustlestiltskin

I was just curious about these cars and since i'll be finally done w/ school in the spring that I wanted to do some research on them. if you guys have any comments/reviews on them that would be great. Also, if you know of any car forums or message boards specifically for srt-4's then that would be great as well.

thanks for the help guys

Paul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are cheap and fast little cars. I have own a few regular Neons before and they were very dependable DDs. Problem is they get really pulled into the ricer crowd. Keep in mind, since you will be buying a used turbo sports compact car, it is will have been beat like a dog.

SRTforums and TurboDodge are good sources of info on them.

the earlier year ones were 1 wheel peel. I know they changed that but something to keep in mind. I've seen many a quick skittles but its still fwd. For the same money you can get allot of other cars including wrx's.

Aftering driving my monte with mods and having no traction in the rain or winter ehh I'm good plus tq steer. As a non modded daily with a little bit of unf cool But as something your giong to take a long way I would avoid fwd. Unless all you ever want to do is roll race and you have a daily.

I had a 04 srt4, 507whp, ran 11.1, I liked it. Nothing wrong with FWD if you have the right tires under it. Hell I held off many-a cars, Sprayed Vettes, Z06's, Stangs, Vipers, Viper Trucks, you name it. But wait......its still a neon right guys..... :D

I had a 04 srt4, 507whp, ran 11.1, I liked it. Nothing wrong with FWD if you have the right tires under it. Hell I held off many-a cars, Sprayed Vettes, Z06's, Stangs, Vipers, Viper Trucks, you name it. But wait......its still a neon right guys..... :D

that is correct... at the end of the day, no matter how fast it is, it's still a neon :D

I have one and I would recommend it.

An SRT-4 came in 5th overall in the One Lap of America. Only being beaten by a 996 TT, Hennessey Viper, Supra and a GTR. On it's way to 5th it beat M3, M6, Z06 Corvette, GT, WTI, WRX, etc.

But around here you'll get bashed regardless.

Doesn't matter if there are a few manual transmission SRT-4's in Ohio running high 10's. Many running low 11's. Winning track events. Doesn't matter here, you will get bashed.

It doesn't help when a few SRT-4 owners are childish assholes who give all SRT-4 owners a bad name.

Granted, you got to pay to play.

coming from a former neon owner. Dont buy a neon. I would put my money in something else. if you like the 4 cylinder engine get a DSM. cant beat their mods for the price and if you never really worked on a car before you will get your chance.

+1 spend as much money on the car + mods as you would on an srt and be in the 10s

The drivetrain is shit, they make good power for a fairly decent price. i had an 04. i liked it but 11 transsmission failures later, not fond of the drivetrain at all. the motor on the other hand, is a beast. sprayed, overboosted, and many high rpm pulls. motor never had a single issue, never lost power, nada. it did eat spark plugs within about 6000 miles.

go for it, i might buy another one as a project in a few years if that means anything.

I say no... FWD FTL as said above, and those things crumple like tinfoil in an impact.

im sure it was probably designed that way so the car will take the brute of the impact instead of shoving the steering wheel into your chest.

does it make it easier to total the car? absolutely

does it make it easier to save your life? bet your ass it does

The drivetrain is shit, they make good power for a fairly decent price. i had an 04. i liked it but 11 transsmission failures later, not fond of the drivetrain at all. the motor on the other hand, is a beast. sprayed, overboosted, and many high rpm pulls. motor never had a single issue, never lost power, nada. it did eat spark plugs within about 6000 miles.

go for it, i might buy another one as a project in a few years if that means anything.

WTF did you do to ruin 11 tranny's?? I beat the shit outta mine, power-shifted it, came outta the hole off the 2-step at 6K on 26" slicks, and had one of the most heavy duty clutches in it and I had not one problem with my 04'....I say buy one dude, they are overall nice cars that can obviously compete, and still be there running in the morning when you wake up.

Anthony

something was majorly fucked from the factory, they replaced it 2 and rebuilt it another 6 times under warrenty, and i had it out 3 times to toss a used one in after that. theyd last like 3 weeks then something would gernade. its not normal lol. but if you go on srtforums you can see all the issues from 03 to now regarding that gearbox. and then i have heard plenty of stories like yours anthony. its a toss up if you get a good one or not..

yea i agree, i tell people about the issues i had to kinda show the extreme shit side of them, but overall i really do like em. hell id still have mine if it wasnt for the tranny issues.

And these car crash hella well. look at crash photos and examine the cockpit. i remember threads of these kids losing them at over 120 mph and walking away from them... numerous times.

Ehh, have a buddy from PA with a modded one.

With full bolt-on's, big IC, and stock turbo maxed out + some other goodies, it was alright on the highway once you got past the turbo lag. Handled well for a FWD. BAD torque steer.

Would I own one?? Hell no. It is still a Neon, it is still FWD. I mean really, a Neon is one of the crapiest econo-boxes made in recent years. Take that, make it handle better and give it a bunch of power.