Got myself a Fiero.

Guest evobound

You have yourself a 1985 Fiero GT. Only GT year w/ that body style. That indeed came w/ a 5 speed. Fieros later came with a four speed, which is more desireable. 86-88 GT's look like spaceghost's.

GT's have the V6. They are fun, they weigh a TON, and aren't particularly fast in a straight line, but they make an ok daily. 3800 series motor N/A and SC and the Northstar V8's are popular swaps.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and i can do my best to answer them. I had an 87' GT for about a year, but got bored w/ the automatic.

Actually it appears to be an 86 or later SE V6. The 85s came with a 4 speed and the lower body panels were dark gray not black. The 87+ GTs were the hatchback styles (maybe 88 not sure).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.8's aren't worth even thinking about modding. I suggest an Ecotec.

BTW, I had one of those for a while. I couldn't turn the wheel without smacking my leg, and could barely crawl in and out of it. It was kinda fun to throw around turns, assuming I could get that 2.5 Duke to chug its way up to a high enough speed to be able to conisder a turn to be fun.

Actually it appears to be an 86 or later SE V6. The 85s came with a 4 speed and the lower body panels were dark gray not black. The 87+ GTs were the hatchback styles (maybe 88 not sure).

That may be as well ^. Check the production date on the door frame to find out for sure.

I researched getting one for about 4 years. I always wanted one, but decided to get new cars instead. So I know quite a bit about them for never owning one.

You can put just about any GM engine into a Fiero, and probably all of them have been done before...LS1, LT1, 3.4L OHV, 3.4L DOHC, Quad 4, 3.8L, 3.8L S/C, 4.3L, 3.8L Turbo from a GN, Northstar V8, etc, etc.

The S/C 3.8L is the common "easy" swap and there are a lot of parts out for that engine. I actually really like the 3.4L DOHC swap. It's a unique motor, can rev freely, has a different sound, etc.

P.S. - SpaceGhost...did you used to live on the east side, off of 161? That pic of your Fiero reminds me of the one that used to sit across from my buddy's place.

That may be as well ^. Check the production date on the door frame to find out for sure.

VIN decode says 86 Fiero SE v6, production #6038

- I kind of cheated - I had an 85 Fiero GT - 4spd so I knew the black lower panels made it an SE. I loved mine. It was plenty quick for me at the time, at least 0-30. I think I liked the mid engine layout the best - the sound was good too! I would definitely own another one.

It is funny, it seems that everyone that has owned a Fiero with a V6 would love to have another one whereas most who had one with the "Iron Duke" 4 would never own another.

From what I understand GM made some improvements to the rear suspension in the 87s and 88s that made them extremely capable road course cars.

Someone was saying a Fiero is a "pig" - they weighed 2500-2700 pounds. While this is not light by 2 seater standards compared to most other cars it is low weight.

GM was ahead of the times with the "plastic panels", from what I read the cars had to pass the collision tests without the body panels in place.

From what I understand GM made some improvements to the rear suspension in the 87s and 88s that made them extremely capable road course cars.

Someone was saying a Fiero is a "pig" - they weighed 2500-2700 pounds. While this is not light by 2 seater standards compared to most other cars it is low weight.

GM was ahead of the times with the "plastic panels", from what I read the cars had to pass the collision tests without the body panels in place.

It was the 88GT,

Radically different suspesion ( no longer chevette left overs).

As a result most things about the rear of the car especially are different.

IE: the shock towers are actually different widths and things that might easily squeeze by on a 84-87 might give you more of a headache on the 88.

http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro .Everything you want to know.I bought a brand new 87 GT 5 spd in Dec. 86.I owned it until 2001.It was lowered(Eibach),chipped(Hypertech),16 inch wheels(large at the time) and an 80 shot of nitrous.I think the 3.8 SC is the way to go and get you into the 11's with excellent handling still.I will have another but 3 kids just doesn't work with a 2 seater.

Guest 614Streets
2.8's aren't worth even thinking about modding.

Gm Made a 4 bolt all aluminum bowtie 2.8 block that you can still buy today for about 4000 bucks.......... Single turbo version hit over 1000 hp..........

Still though in todays world there are alot of better choices when it comes to hp per dollor thats for sure.

It was the 88GT,

Radically different suspesion ( no longer chevette left overs).

As a result most things about the rear of the car especially are different.

IE: the shock towers are actually different widths and things that might easily squeeze by on a 84-87 might give you more of a headache on the 88.

It sucks that when they finally got the car right (or started to) in 88, they canned it. :(

Guest evobound
Gm Made a 4 bolt all aluminum bowtie 2.8 block that you can still buy today for about 4000 bucks.......... Single turbo version hit over 1000 hp..........

Still though in todays world there are alot of better choices when it comes to hp per dollor thats for sure.

$4/HP? Sounds pretty good to me :)

Guest 614Streets

It was built by ryan falconer but I have no idea what if any vechicle it was dropped in. http://www.falconerengines.com/_borders/turbo.JPG

But the block is a 2.8 v6 made by gm perferformance parts and it is a priority oil feed 4 bolt splayed main block that weighs 49 lbs.

Anyway IMO its a waste of money to pursue using the hp to dollor scale.

• 2 weeks later...