Need opinions: corvair

wnaplay1647545503

Whats your opinion on the old corvairs? I have always wanted to do a project corvair but havent found any that I liked within my price range until now. Theres a link to what I might be going for. Any like them or not? I know people said they were prone to catching fire.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3F_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Dcorvair%26sz%3Dall&w=410&h=147&imgurl=www.hackersparadise.biz%2Fimages%2FCustomers1%2F66Corvair2.JPG&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackersparadise.biz%2Fsubpage.html20.html&size=26.1kB&name=66Corvair2.JPG&p=corvair&type=jpeg&no=3&tt=54,250&oid=439c33bbb75ea81e&ei=ISO-8859-1

The oddball air pressure only applies to the first generation cars, up until 64 or 65. It was something that GM came up with to combat the tendency of the rear swing arms to tuck under in sustained hard turns.

BTW Nader was a dingbat, at the time he wrote "Unsafe at Any Speed" he owned a Mercedes that used the EXACT same type of rear swing arm suspension, but was even more prone to tucking due to its higher center of gravity. VW used the same thing, Pontiac was exploring it for use in the Tempest, and most live axles used thin leaf springs that wrapped over in hard corners, causing the inner tire to rise suddenly.

• 2 weeks later...
What year is it? I had a '63 and a '64. I never heard of anyone having a fire incident. The ones you have to be careful with are the pre '64's, in '64 they added a transverse leaf spring that greatly stabilized the body roll and tendency to tuck the axles. A big thing with them is to make sure you have all the tin in place on the engine(same with VW's), otherwise you will have overheating problems. Also carry atleast one spare fan belt, they do not like the 90 degree twist they have to make and like to jump off. The pre '65's tend to rust out in the "eyebrow" above the headlights, about 75% of the pre '65's will have this problem. Get on a good VW parts site and buy a carb synchronizer...you're gonna need it. Not only will the two sides run differently, a lean condition will cause them to overheat bad. Someday I'm gonna buy another one, that was my first car and it was a blast. If you can't find a shop manual for it let me know, I have mine stashed here someplace and I could photcopy some pages for you, or make pdf's. Good Luck.

Whats your opinion on the old corvairs?

Different in the way of older classic cars. Wouldn't be my first choice thanks to rear engine mount etc.. But I give you props for going and being different than the norm. :thumbup: A nice bigger cube small block can be finessed in there, just takes a bit of Mr.Welder and some time.