03-04 Cobra or 06 daytona Charger?

Guest dsm8u

Im going to be buying a new car here real soon,and im kinda stuck between the 2.The charger would be the go man go daytona.i realy like the chargers but my Fav car is the cobra.kinda stuck here.What are some of your guys thoughts on the 2.Please help me out.i have drove the daytona chargers before,My mom and dad have a 2007 fully loaded lime green charger.But i never drove a 03-04 cobra before.What would be my best investment.

The Cobra is the way to go. Comfortable and a good daily.

All stock motor:

500+ with a pullied/ported blower.

700+ with a big bore blower (this is not advised on a stock motor, but can be done).

800hp/ 900 ft lbs with spray.

1000+ with any turbo kit.

These cars make power, easy power. The main thing to watch out for is the piston to wall clearance. That tends to be the fatal flaw (especially to cylinder #7). Make sure to do proper cooling mods and you should be all set. Only other real downfall is the IRS. A simple post on SVTP usually takes care of that if you are up for the swap to SRA.

Cobra = faster

Charger = nicer, especially for daily driver duties

I would suggest deciding which aspect is more important. If it were me, I'd go with the Charger, as I can't stand the feel of driving a mustang (with the exception of the '05+ mustang, I finally got to drive one and actually kind of liked it).

I think it depends on what you are looking for. The faster and more than likely cheaper of the 2 would be the Cobra. Tons of aftermarket will help you spend your extra money very quickly.

If you are looking for a daily driver, I would go with the Charger. It does have some aftermarket support, but of course not as much as a Cobra would. I have seen some pretty good numbers out of the Chargers when you slap on a supercharger.

come join the cobra family.

like Hal said, you should lurk around svtperformance.com---you will find tons of stock/lightly/heavily modified cobras on sale there. most of these cars are being sold by owners who are established on the site, and their history is documented. not too long ago, one owner tried to sell one that had been in a big accident, and he didn't disclose that---he got called on it, and owned bigtime. google "leowned".

these cars make great power very easily, and the blower whine is contagious. i've been a bit lucky and haven't broken a thing yet, but have well over 500rwhp on the stock clutch, rear end, etc. i even have the stock headers and cats on my car. 450rwhp is literally an intake, catback, pulley and tune.

the only thing that kills these cars is the shitty piston to cylinder wall clearance--its very tight, and there's no coolant outlet at the rear of the driver's side (pistons #7,#8) cylinder head, unless you do a cooling modification. this does not become a problem unless 1) you are running BIG boost, or 2) you do bonzai 140+ mph freeway runs back-to-back. on modularfords.com they have a thread titled "who's blown a motor, under what circumstances", the biggest things that lead to death of the stock shortblock are people running 20+lbs of boost, people running 'canned' or 'mail in' tunes without dyno tuning to check a/f ratios, and last, but not least, people doing several back-to-back highway rolls up to and beyond 140mph. these blowers make tons of heat, and doing back-to-back high speed runs will expand pistons #7 and/or #8 due to the poor cooling there, and your motor is fried.

my car has the $150 cooling mod, that removes a freeze plug from the rear of the driver's side head, and routes that coolant back to the radiator to help cool that head. unfortunately, its pretty much necessary to remove the blower to do this mod.

if going 140+mph routinely is your goal, than pull the motor, go 20 thousandths over, and get aftermarket pistons. the stock manley connecting rods, block, and stock crank are proven beyond 800rwhp. many people have done this before going aggressive with boost, and have had NO problems with big boost/turbos

to make a long story short, go with the cobra, easy, big power, with a HUGE aftermarket.

kirk

If it is going to be a weekend car. If you have to have a cobra. Get a 99 or 01 and then build it to your liking. There's is no need to get the 03,04 one and then have to replace the pistons. Most people change to a different power adder also. This is a cheaper way and can have alot more money for mods. It would be even cheaper to start with agt and build it. My gt makes more power than alot of cobras.

If it is going to be a weekend car. If you have to have a cobra. Get a 99 or 01 and then build it to your liking. There's is no need to get the 03,04 one and then have to replace the pistons. Most people change to a different power adder also. This is a cheaper way and can have alot more money for mods. It would be even cheaper to start with agt and build it. My gt makes more power than alot of cobras.

there is some truth to this, but if you want around 500-550rwhp, even 600rwhp, this can be had easily and be dead reliable, as long as you don't severely beat on the car. i drive my car pretty hard, but avoid stupid things, and i've been just fine