Rotary news

Mojoe

One of our favorite Japanese Magazines has a 'scoop' on what Mazda will be displaying at the 2007 Tokyo Autoshow, this October 2007. Following on the Nagere, Ryuga, Senku, and Hakaze concepts, this is the 'final' concept Mazda will show in the 'flow' series. Some of these lines have already made it into production cars, like the new Mazda 6, and some minor face lifts in the Mazda 3, and 5. (Also expect to see a face-lifted RX-8 coming this winter). The bigger news, however is just that. Bigger....

Mazda will show off next generation Rotary Engine technology, including a larger rotary, the first time the actual displacement of a 2 rotor engine will have changed since 1974 if it makes production. The last time a production engine increased was with the introduction of the 13b in the RX-4 and REPU in 1974. The engine will also be the first time the other dimensions of the rotor will have changed since the 13a in the 1971. The 13a was the engine that powered the front-wheel-drive Japanese only Luce.

The car shown is said to have clues from the Kabura and Ryuga, as well as other Mazda DNA. It will be the first all new Mazda Rotary Coupe since the third-generation RX-7 launched in 1991. The car is said to have a particularly distinctive exterior design, with lightweight, compact and high-output next generation RENESIS(2) rotary engine. It will epitomize Mazda's spirit of sports car, as the RX-7 won popularity among the customers since its 1978 launch. The last RX-7 model (FD3S) ended a 10 year production run in August 2002, and is sometimes still regarded as the pinnacle of Mazda Engineering and Design.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/94%20RX%207/rx7_2011_c.jpg

Wow, this is exciting! Hopefully they can make the hydrogen technology more viable, maybe make the rotary a name for performance...and reliable power. Maybe different composition seals that are stronger? That's seemingly the only thing that's keeping it back. Hope it will revive the RX-x name in sports cars!

very cool to hear. I've heard that using direct injection on a rotary has yeilded very favorable results for both power and emissions. Perhaps a strong NA rotary (which we all know is strong as a brick) is the future?

I'm definately pumped to hear more.

http://rotarynews.com/images/fullsize/rx7_2011_b.jpg

http://rotarynews.com/images/fullsize/rx7_2011_a.jpg

hmm i dunno. i cant say i like the way it looks but the new engine sounds interesting.

some people are saying it's going to be 1.6(16c) liters producing ~300hp

i personally would like to see a n/a 20b in it