Rumor has it ... What is the difference?

McGraw

So Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda seem to be the best type of beginner sports bikes with potential. What is the real difference between the R series yamaha's, the CBR honda's and the GSX-R's.

I wanted a GSX-R, but I hear they're just surrounded with a bunch of hype. And buddy of mine recently bought an R6 and I really like it he also has a 05 R1 that's a lot of fun.

Suggestions and opinions please. Plus any facts you can find.

I don't know if there really are any huge differences they all have their pros and cons, in the end it comes down to brand loyalty and what YOU like best.

Sit on all of them and if possible ride each one to see which one you feel most comfortable on. I love my 06 R6 personally but some people don't like it but its what I like so that's all that really matters.

05 kawa 636 FTW....seriously though, I've also sat on all of them when i got my 636 2yrs ago and performance/ comfort wise, the 636 beats them all hands down. all my friends had gsxr's 600's and 750's and id beat the 600's and stay right with the 750's. That was stock before I got the 2brothers underseat exhaust so i dont know howd they match up now, def. better though.

Seriously if you want a "beginner" bike, look for a used sportbike and ride it for at least a year. Look for something like an SV-650 (Suzuki), or an older carbed Ninja 600, carbed R6, or a Honda F3, F4, or F4i. If you buy it right, you will learn a lot on those bikes and be able to sell them without loosing a cent, try that with a new anything.

A good beginner bike: 600cc or less I-4, 1000cc or less v-twin, both carb'd only. Every mfr makes these to this day, and has a past lineup of good bikes. Another good feature of a beginner bike, scratches. That way, you wont feel as bad when you drop it. Buy it cheap, ride it til you're not happy with it, sell it for what you paid, and move on to what you really want. Don't listen to guys who say 'oh a new 600/636/900/etc is a great starter', for too many people it was their first and last bike.'

Fact: way more people die on race replica bikes than on dual-sport bikes. Get something slow to learn on and don't become a statistic.

Luckybusa- Older Kawasaki's has alot of electrical issues...that were always a pain in the ass to work on and pinpoint....

Iceman- I never said they cant wheelie(I said they suck at them)... you know your throttlin the hell out of that(as in not utilizing the rear brake)....NOT riding on the sweet spot(as in balance point)Yamaha's balance points are very small unlike Honda's, Suzuki's and Kawies.That is why I said that

well lets see fuck startin on a small bike am high this is my first bike and glad i did a hayabusa

and for the wheels... mike that i ride with that has the streched 06 r1 with spray use to stunt on his 99, 02 r1's befor he started drag racing his bike there isnt a diff. wheelin any of them if u can ride he got in trouble at trails prostar weekend for wheelin his stretch r1 lounchin it so he rode it all the way down

p.s. he does have a gsxr 1000 to

blckssguy....AGain never said they couldn't. I had a 01 r6 that I only stunted...it was the hardest to stunt compared to other brands is what I was getting at. And yes there is a BIg difference stunting them...just as there is a difference between stunting a liter bike and a 600....

cost wise no, street wise no, efficient maybe. Have you ever ridden a stretched bike on the street? its really not as bad as you think, a 6-8" over arm still handles great, and when you combind it with 1-2" lower and the front strapped at the track, you have a bike that can get out of the hole quite nice.

Seriously if you want a "beginner" bike, look for a used sportbike and ride it for at least a year. Look for something like an SV-650 (Suzuki), or an older carbed Ninja 600, carbed R6, or a Honda F3, F4, or F4i. If you buy it right, you will learn a lot on those bikes and be able to sell them without loosing a cent, try that with a new anything.

I just picked up a 93 CBR 600 F2 and I love it. I haven't ridden bikes since the school days and the ATV days were over 10 years ago. The previous owner has it geared down 2 teeth in the front and I don't like that. What is the advantage to that?