Rumor has it ... What is the difference?

McGraw

I just picked up a 93 CBR 600 F2 and I love it. I haven't ridden bikes since the school days and the ATV days were over 10 years ago. The previous owner has it geared down 2 teeth in the front and I don't like that. What is the advantage to that?

At the sacrafice of top speed it would increase acceleration as well as make it easier to pull up your front wheel.

i have a 2007 gsxr 1000 and its my first bike...as long as you respect something and have common sense and be responsible i dont see a problem with starting out on a bigger bike

That's a completely idiotic statement. Anyone who would start out on a brand new 1000 is a supreme moron. There is sooo much to learn on a bike for teh long term. This is how kids get killed.

• 2 weeks later...
That's a completely idiotic statement. Anyone who would start out on a brand new 1000 is a supreme moron. There is sooo much to learn on a bike for teh long term. This is how kids get killed.

No, they get killed because they don't respect it and think they can do wheelies after 15 minutes of riding. IF YOU respect it and take it slow there is no reason why you can't start out on a bigger bike. A 600 can get you hurt/killed just as easy as a liter bike man.

All you need to do is pay attention to what is going around you and take the time learning how to ride. Ride within your skill...

Just because they respect the bike doesn't mean it isn't possible for them to accidentally goose the throttle. Inexperienced riders tend to have less skill with percise throttle manipulation than experienced riders, and while you can get killed rather easily on a 600, the room for error is larger. Dumping the clutch on a litre bike will get you in alot more trouble than dumping the clutch on a 600.

"dumping the clutch" on any new sport bike will have your ass in a world of hurt before you even know wtf happened if you dont have the MUSCLE MEMORY to realize wtf your doing. riding a bike fast is nothing but reflex after reflex, you dont have time to sit and think of what to do next, and this is how newbs and squids end up smeared along side the road. Start on a 250-500cc or 99-down 600 ss, put in a few seasons learning and figureing out the dynamics of what you are doing, and i will put $20 that says you'll be a better rider, in the straights as well as the corners, then any wet behind the ears newb period. well there is that 1% or so of the population that just seem blessed with ability, but i doubt thats anyone on the board.

Take it for what its worth.

Another thing to think about is the weight difference between the different kind of bikes and the liter bikes compared to 600. While on paper the weight doesn't look like much of a difference but to an unexperienced rider every couple pounds make a difference and where the weight is located in the bike. I learned the hard way with a top heavy Harley. It's all not just about the size of the damn engine. Notice the only people saying hey its cool get the big bikes I did it and I'm fine are the people with no experience or did it and are justifying it. I'm not here to cause a pissing match or point fingers but even though I'm not that old I have a few years under my belt of streetbikes and have owned a few, I am still learning everytime I ride. I've been through a very bad accident that was user error and I have also saved myself many times. I am very far from a professional but I encourage everyone that buys a first bike to go small and go cheap. I've been around lots of very modest people that respect their 600s that still go down.

This is all just coming from someone that doesn't wish harm on anyone, and someone who's little brother is about to buy is first street bike and I will beg anyone just the same as I am begging him to start small. What can it hurt. For some of you big bike newbies, not to be an asshole but your time has just yet to come, and your mistakes just haven't been made yet. Just my two cents.