Rental Review: Grand Prix GXP

Mr. Jones

Took my car in for service today, and thanks to some ahole who couldn't return my usual rental on time, I got stuck with a pontiac rental car from budget. Turned out to be a Grand Prix GXP. Before I drove it I was like hrmm maybe this wont' be soo bad.

As soon as I went to get in I knocked my head on the pillar, WTF wheres the head room ? As expected there is nothing but plastic everywhere. The climated control looks like recycled plastic coupled with 80's parts. Even the wheel itself is clad in 1/2 plastic.

After adjusting and getting 1/2 comfortable, I start it and damn, it does sound rather good. Especially for stock exhaust! WTF 4 speed auto ??

Cars have had 5 speed autos since the 90's..anyway.. on with the driving.

As expected the car torque steers and fights like a demon in this weather. The traction control is lazy and weights until your wheel has made few rotations of slippage before it bothers to do anything which is then harsh.

Suffers from most of the FWD symptoms which are made worse by the massive engine/tranny combo up front. Slides through corners noseheavy, then traction control bucks wildly on and off. Punching it while rolling with t/c on will allows the wheeel to jerk violently enough to drag the car out of your lane before it will correct anything.

Braking is good, but the tires blow and ABS kicks on continuously. Suspension is WAYYY too soft and has that typical front end jump and dip as you brake/ accelerate ect. I just wont' feel safe driving this thing aggesively at all..especially in bad weather.

I will admit my driving style may contribute to some of the bad habits the car has already. I am used to powering through corners nearly WOT, and the car doing the rest.

Once at highway speeds the car feels pretty strong when it has traction and this is likely the car's strongpoint. On a bright, hot sunny day with traction this car probably goes like MAD on in a straight line, but seemingly blows at nearly everything else.

Pro's

1. Fast in a straight line in the right conditions

2. Sounds Great

3. Cool HUD

4. Factory Remote Start!

Con's

FWD

Traction and handling problems galore

Shitty Traction Control

Super cheap 80's interior

Poor head clearance, rear is just shit.

late 06 to 07 they were supposed to combat the torque steer problems but im not sure exactly what they did. I noticed the difference in the 06 and 07 impalas but still was not great. Im with you tho for 30k you have a bunch other options that are much better.

Sorry this thread was intended for use by those with cars that have more than 200hp.

ewww how orginal. You still didn't answer the question.

oh and why am I not surprized your car is back in for service again. I may only have 165 hp but the only thing its ever been in at the dealership was for the first few free oilchanges. so thanks for playing. should have kept the kia bet it wasn't in the shop as much as the audi. :)

ewww how orginal. You still didn't answer the question.

oh and why am I not surprized your car is back in for service again. I may only have 165 hp but the only thing its ever been in at the dealership was for the first few free oilchanges. so thanks for playing. should have kept the kia bet it wasn't in the shop as much as the audi. :)

Your right, it wasn't but its all covered under warranty and I get a free car to drive while Its in service. The quality and driving experience make up for any service issues I have encountered. Next year, I'll buy another Audi as I enjoyed this one soo much.

Sorry for offering my opinion.

I'll just keep it to myself from now on.

:)

that would be preferable :)

as far as the handling, I think they handle well... but if you're used to AWD, then you probably don't really know how to handle a FWD car with power (no offense)

As far as traction control... dude, it's raining, it's a V8, turn the freaking TC off if you're going to get on it...not rocket science.

that would be preferable :)

as far as the handling, I think they handle well... but if you're used to AWD, then you probably don't really know how to handle a FWD car with power (no offense)

As far as traction control... dude, it's raining, it's a V8, turn the freaking TC off if you're going to get on it...not rocket science.

Then it just slides off the road = no good

:)

Guest 78novaman

Jones review:

Mustang Cobra

Looks like ass

interior is ass

OMG SHITTY HANDLING

Everytime I try to full throttle out of a corner the rear of the car tries to slide around the front. When I drive my audi [the three days of the month it's not at the dealer getting fixed] I have no trouble with full throttle everywhere-even on oil slicked waterlogged roads!

You are nothing more than a snobby VW driver. You need a raise so you can afford the E-class benz you deserve.

Jones review:

Mustang Cobra

Looks like ass

interior is ass

OMG SHITTY HANDLING

Everytime I try to full throttle out of a corner the rear of the car tries to slide around the front. When I drive my audi [the three days of the month it's not at the dealer getting fixed] I have no trouble with full throttle everywhere-even on oil slicked waterlogged roads!

You are nothing more than a snobby VW driver. You need a raise so you can afford the E-class benz you deserve.

Pleeeassseee

Go out to google and search for grand prix GXP review.

I did, I found that everyone thinks the car is a mis-built piece of garbage.

From edmunds to individual review sites. Its not just my opinion, but rathe that of just about anyone who has driven in.

To quote edmunds and others

" The V8 power is nice, but with its crude interior, vague steering and massive torque steer the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP is never much fun."

"the Grand Prix's interior appears to have been designed by two or three individuals who were completely oblivious to one another, resulting in a jumble of uncoordinated materials and textures. And what's with the cramped rear seat? I had trouble squeezing through the narrow door openings, and once back there, my head hit the ceiling and my knees hit the seat backs."

"The GXP also comes equipped with standard traction control and stability control, which should help enhance tractability in crummy weather. They don't do much, however, to offset that annoying head-wagging sensation when you put your foot into the V-8."

Well, let's see, I won't be offended as I'm sure you've not been to the track with a GXP, a CTS-V and a ZO6, where I have. In 2005 Bondurant ran all three and a large number of us W-Body owners were graced with learning to drive all three. First hand and being shown by their pro-drivers how to really 'drive' these great cars. All three are great cars and represent a pretty good example of how GM can dish out a FWD performance sedan, an awesome coupe and essentially a dressed up 4dr Vette all of which can perform very well for the money they cost.

Is the GXP the best sport sedan out there....no, of course not, but is it a great value for what it offers. I say you bet, but YMWV. I would love to have had a GTO, but with two kids and needing an auto for many reasons, there wasn't much else to look at that offered V8 power and fun. Everyone has TL's and G35's, but there aren't that many V8 Grand Prix's floating around Cbus. She does sound sexy doesn't she :D

Many may not like FWD, but when driven properly, the engineering behind the GXP, can make it very enjoyable. I'm not much of a fan of Edmund's reviews, nor many magazine reviews really, but first hand tests like this, put things in what I consider a real world perspective.

FWD vs AWD vs RWD

In all fairness, you're right on the some points of the interior and design. The dash....no where near as nice as my previous 03 Accord with Navi....but then, I wanted a V8 and made some comprimises. I drive for fun more than look at the dash. Seat wise, if anyone has been in a CTS-V....the seats are the same and with a very nice touch of leather and suede.

Keep in mind, everything about the car is a "filler" and as much as GM was going to do just before the release of the G8. In some cases, there are slight bummers.....sure, I'd love to have more than a 4spd tranny...but then, she pulls 13.8's all day when launched properly and do that in just two gears. Who knows, I may have all six in the G8 next year.....depends on what my mood is as to what I will buy.

Torque Steer....not bad at all in warm weather. Sure, all that power below 55 degrees....and 1st and part of 2nd gear are useless for stoplight races....but care must be taken with RWD cars in these temps too. She's loads of fun and will put a OMFG look on the faces of many Mustang GT owners on Sawmill Road as my FWD grocery getter stays right there with them and better in some cases.

The idea of the Traction control is to leave a little slip....if it kicked in ASAP, that would suck and not get you very far....especially in snow. You're coming from AWD, so I sense, you're a little spoiled on traction.

When driving her hard, you need to shut off T/C. Even with it off, if you've not flashed the PCM with of the two very well done reprograms out there, you'll fight Torque Management which many confuse with T/C. It's a protection for the tranny. Not one I like, but then, I have a re-flash. You have to be careful though as in cool weather like this on the freeway at 70mph, she'll break loose if you are in 2nd and hit the gas too hard. You have to squeeze into the power. Nice thing is I rarely "punch her" or need to go WOT to make a move.

Braking is awesome. Not sure what you did to kick in ABS and hate it so much , but the brakes are 10X what the Comp G's are that's a fact. Keep in mind, she's no lightweight in terms of lbs. Even still, I wouldn't drive aggressively in bad weather...even in an Audi. Not on the street anyway. Stability control is your friend so no worries. I've tried to spin her in the nastiest weather.....zero, none, nadda....she won't period. Safe and straight even with stupid behavior.

Cornering....key there is it's FWD and you have to understand how to enter the curve. With the GXP, it's entering it hard and cranking the wheel later than with RWD. The car will go where she's pointed, but you can't power into the curve. Turn hard, force the rear to break loose and then power out. See the above artical. It does take getting used to. Remember, she's wearing two sizes larger rubber on the front. 255/45R18 fronts and 225/50R18 rears makes for good grip and the fact that they are staggered like that reduces TS and understeer gobs over it's sibling Chevy SS's.

On the highway, there's no doubt she's an LSX under the hood. Where the S/C breathren, even with a pulley upgrade, loose steam without a cam, the LS4 pulls strong and like a true LSX on the highway. Cruise on the highway at 72mph and she'll run at 28-32mpg too.

Rear headroom does suck, but then, my kids in their car seats don't care. She's about as safe if not safer than most rides out there and that's tops on my list.

Thanks for the review, but don't hate until you drive one for more than a day. She's a lot of value for what she offers. Any doubts and I'll be happy to take you for a ride.

Pleeeassseee

Go out to google and search for grand prix GXP review.

I did, I found that everyone thinks the car is a mis-built piece of garbage.

From edmunds to individual review sites. Its not just my opinion, but rathe that of just about anyone who has driven in.

To quote edmunds and others

" The V8 power is nice, but with its crude interior, vague steering and massive torque steer the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP is never much fun."

"the Grand Prix's interior appears to have been designed by two or three individuals who were completely oblivious to one another, resulting in a jumble of uncoordinated materials and textures. And what's with the cramped rear seat? I had trouble squeezing through the narrow door openings, and once back there, my head hit the ceiling and my knees hit the seat backs."

"The GXP also comes equipped with standard traction control and stability control, which should help enhance tractability in crummy weather. They don't do much, however, to offset that annoying head-wagging sensation when you put your foot into the V-8."

Perhaps you need to adapt your driving habits to the car you drive....if i had an AWD car i bet i could be WOT all the time too, but as soon as you get rwd or fwd you have to use a "go slow to go fast". You need a little more finess when it comes to cars that are not AWD. If you jump on me for already knowing this, then it sure dosen;t show in your writing.

Well, let's see, I won't be offended as I'm sure you've not been to the track with a GXP, a CTS-V and a ZO6, where I have. In 2005 Bondurant ran all three and a large number of us W-Body owners were graced with learning to drive all three. First hand and being shown by their pro-drivers how to really 'drive' these great cars. All three are great cars and represent a pretty good example of how GM can dish out a FWD performance sedan, an awesome coupe and essentially a dressed up 4dr Vette all of which can perform very well for the money they cost.

Is the GXP the best sport sedan out there....no, of course not, but is it a great value for what it offers. I say you bet, but YMWV. I would love to have had a GTO, but with two kids and needing an auto for many reasons, there wasn't much else to look at that offered V8 power and fun. Everyone has TL's and G35's, but there aren't that many V8 Grand Prix's floating around Cbus. She does sound sexy doesn't she :D

Many may not like FWD, but when driven properly, the engineering behind the GXP, can make it very enjoyable. I'm not much of a fan of Edmund's reviews, nor many magazine reviews really, but first hand tests like this, put things in what I consider a real world perspective.

FWD vs AWD vs RWD

In all fairness, you're right on the some points of the interior and design. The dash....no where near as nice as my previous 03 Accord with Navi....but then, I wanted a V8 and made some comprimises. I drive for fun more than look at the dash. Seat wise, if anyone has been in a CTS-V....the seats are the same and with a very nice touch of leather and suede.

Keep in mind, everything about the car is a "filler" and as much as GM was going to do just before the release of the G8. In some cases, there are slight bummers.....sure, I'd love to have more than a 4spd tranny...but then, she pulls 13.8's all day when launched properly and do that in just two gears. Who knows, I may have all six in the G8 next year.....depends on what my mood is as to what I will buy.

Torque Steer....not bad at all in warm weather. Sure, all that power below 55 degrees....and 1st and part of 2nd gear are useless for stoplight races....but care must be taken with RWD cars in these temps too. She's loads of fun and will put a OMFG look on the faces of many Mustang GT owners on Sawmill Road as my FWD grocery getter stays right there with them and better in some cases.

The idea of the Traction control is to leave a little slip....if it kicked in ASAP, that would suck and not get you very far....especially in snow. You're coming from AWD, so I sense, you're a little spoiled on traction.

When driving her hard, you need to shut off T/C. Even with it off, if you've not flashed the PCM with of the two very well done reprograms out there, you'll fight Torque Management which many confuse with T/C. It's a protection for the tranny. Not one I like, but then, I have a re-flash. You have to be careful though as in cool weather like this on the freeway at 70mph, she'll break loose if you are in 2nd and hit the gas too hard. You have to squeeze into the power. Nice thing is I rarely "punch her" or need to go WOT to make a move.

Braking is awesome. Not sure what you did to kick in ABS and hate it so much , but the brakes are 10X what the Comp G's are that's a fact. Keep in mind, she's no lightweight in terms of lbs. Even still, I wouldn't drive aggressively in bad weather...even in an Audi. Not on the street anyway. Stability control is your friend so no worries. I've tried to spin her in the nastiest weather.....zero, none, nadda....she won't period. Safe and straight even with stupid behavior.

Cornering....key there is it's FWD and you have to understand how to enter the curve. With the GXP, it's entering it hard and cranking the wheel later than with RWD. The car will go where she's pointed, but you can't power into the curve. Turn hard, force the rear to break loose and then power out. See the above artical. It does take getting used to. Remember, she's wearing two sizes larger rubber on the front. 255/45R18 fronts and 225/50R18 rears makes for good grip and the fact that they are staggered like that reduces TS and understeer gobs over it's sibling Chevy SS's.

On the highway, there's no doubt she's an LSX under the hood. Where the S/C breathren, even with a pulley upgrade, loose steam without a cam, the LS4 pulls strong and like a true LSX on the highway. Cruise on the highway at 72mph and she'll run at 28-32mpg too.

Rear headroom does suck, but then, my kids in their car seats don't care. She's about as safe if not safer than most rides out there and that's tops on my list.

Thanks for the review, but don't hate until you drive one for more than a day. She's a lot of value for what she offers. Any doubts and I'll be happy to take you for a ride.

Well said.

The car is just such a drastic turn from what I'm used to maybe. Its just not me. I'm very glad you enjoy the car and you no doubt would be far better suited to push it to its limits. To me, the car feels as if there is a dump truck hanging over the front axle. It wants to slide everywhere.

Well optioned we're talking nearly 35K which it does not place very far on a list of cars that you can also buy in that range

335/G35/ Ect.

FWD IS THE DEVIL!

If this car had RWD it would be great. Al hail the G8 when it debuts!

Nice car, just not for me at all.

The up and downside depending on when you look at it.....GM never sells near sticker. My 06 with everything but Navi was close to $33k but I picked it up for just under $27k.

Well said.

Well optioned we're talking nearly 35K which it does not place very far on a list of cars that you can also buy in that range

335/G35/ Ect.

FWD IS THE DEVIL!

If this car had RWD it would be great. Al hail the G8 when it debuts!

Nice car, just not for me at all.