1st time boat winterizing question

wnaplay1647545503

I have owned boats for many years now and I have had similar boat to the one I have now. However that boat was worth a helluva alot more and I never did a single maintenance service to it myself. My last boat was just a pontoon and the outboard was easy to winterize. Now I have another i/o and I plan on winterizing it myself this week. I know about fogging the engine. I plan on flushing the thing this week, however my question is inregards to the antifreeze you add. Where do you add it? And how much? I also plan on putting the batteries on charge indoors. Filling the fuel tank and adding stabil. I am going to remove my cushions and pull out everything thats not bolted down. I am planning on storing outside all winter and will have my full cover on and plan on covering that with a solid plastic tarp. I will change the oil in the spring. Anything I am forgetting? Any extra steps I should do I havent mentioned? Thanks

I use a pair of ear muffs, sump pump, and a giant plastic round container. I put 3 gallons of coolant in the container, attach a little piece of hose to the pump and drop it into the coolant. ON the other end of the hose are the ear muffs, I start the pump, and then start the boat and let it run either until I am out of coolant or I see green out of the exhaust. about 30 seconds is what it took me this year to do it, just make sure towards the end you are spraying the fogging oil in the carb.

I use a pair of ear muffs, sump pump, and a giant plastic round container. I put 3 gallons of coolant in the container, attach a little piece of hose to the pump and drop it into the coolant. ON the other end of the hose are the ear muffs, I start the pump, and then start the boat and let it run either until I am out of coolant or I see green out of the exhaust. about 30 seconds is what it took me this year to do it, just make sure towards the end you are spraying the fogging oil in the carb.

Your thermostat opens in 30 seconds?

And thats about it...

I dont fog them though. No need around here.

I would say you will be alright leaving your cushions in the boat if your covering it twice. I have a full Sunbrella on mine and I will also tarp it. Really though in reality I only tarp it to protect the cover.

Oh yeah. And the 30 second thing...I dont know about that.

WNAPLAY- Not sure what year your boat is, but.... http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=884715001&ivar=images/COMMON/1719.png&inbr=11667&bnbr=170&bdesc=Thermostat+and+Housing

Every "production" Mercruiser (aside from the Mercury Racing blower motors) I have ever seen has a thermostat. Running it until antifreeze comes out the exhaust only works on closed coolant engines, such as the old 470 4 Cylinder.

I ran the engine for about 10 mins and shut off for 10. I hooked up a pump into a 5 gal bucket filled with antifreeze and attached to my earmuffs. Wrapped the entire outdrive up in a bag to collect any lost antifreeze from the earmuffs. Fired up the engine and started the pump. Ran for about a min but the fluid coming out did not look like antifreeze.

Guest 614Streets
Dont forget to winterize the trailer , put it up on 4 habor frieght jackstands and get the tires off the ground and silicone then wrap the tires in black trash bags. Did you change the outdrive oil? Might want to spray some silicone on the bellows. You could try the windshield washer fluid and NOT rely on any corrosion prohibitors found in antifrezee. Depending on the brand of windshield washer fluid and its chemical make up that shit might eat seals and gaskets up too, never know.

Guest 614Streets
What about using the pink antifreeze they use in potable water tanks? Would this work or be harmful? Its only $3 a gallon. However it proabably does not have any rust/corrosion inhibitors.

Jason you can come out today and hang up some insulation in my basement or go help keith put his engine on a stand and I will pay you 699cents and then you can afford the right stuff. :)

Guest 614Streets
You should have asked earlier in the day.:D Its not that I'm cheap...... well yes it is. I just dont want to spend more than I have to. I consider this research.

Call me in the spring , we can magnaflux her down and do more research. :D