New Car Suggestions....

HotCarl

Im shopping for a new car. Im finally moving out (again) and need to unload the biggest monthly bill I have. My mom likes my car so much she wants to buy it from me so I dont have to worry about selling mine. Starting in January I will be carless. Ive looked at everything from Mustangs to trucks to Civics and just cant decide on what I want.

Must haves:

-Under 10k$ pricetag, or equivalent to 250$/month car payment nothing exceeding. Im sick of paying 400/month for a car.

-drivetrain doesnt matter (fwd/rwd/awd)

-Prefer manual transmission over auto but I will settle depending on the car

-MUST BE DEPENDABLE!!!

-Decent gas mileage (decent being at least 25mpg+)

-mileage not exceeding 50k

I'd like a dependable daily driver with a bit of 'go'. Nothing crazy, i dont plan on racing this thing at all. One of the things I really like about the Jetta is the interior, so something that is put together well would be a big bonus, if the Jetta was just a bit quicker I might consider keeping it. Then again the maintenance on this B is disgustingly expensive. Im so indecisive I've thought about just buying a used Camry and being done with it... and I HATE camry's.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

If you dont mind a rubermaid interior, look for a Grand Prix GTP.

The wifes GT is holding up well, 118k on the clock. GTP nets a little more go where it counts.

(I personally hate FWD and slush box shifting, but the wife cant figure out the clutch concept. Yet she can fly multi engine aircraft.)

If it is your daily that you are not going to race can you afford spending just a bit more? I suggest buying a brand new small 4 banger, like an aveo, or yaris, or fit. Yes they are going to be slow but they will be reliable. I really wish I could afford a 12K car payment because I would so go buy a yaris.

What you think about that?

my last hyundai elantra i beat the shit out of it and it still ran strong as hell when the insurance took it at 77k due to the hail storm. i bought a new one a few months ago, the motor blew out of no where, i was able to get it replaced (labor included) for under 700$. i dont expect any problems from this one ever. you should be able to find an 04-06 for <9k. i actually saw a maroon one at autoville usa at rt3/morse rd looked like an 04 for like 7400. might be worth checking out

I guess do you want a smaller car, same or smaller size?

Lexus IS300

Mazda Protege

Toyota Celica http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/453659516.html

Nissan Sentra SE-R http://columbus.craigslist.org/car/462446913.html

Mazda Millenia

Nissan Maxima/Altima

Acura 3.2 TL

Hyundai Sonata - can be found in a manual

Hell, stick w/ VW if thats treated you well.

Stay away from Audi if your looking for long term reliability, A4's are nice, but it's hard to find a nice one.

I agree w/ Lustalbert, a GTP is a great DD. They are quick, fun to drive, plenty of space inside, reliable, easy to maintain, and they get about 18 mpg city and 30 mpg highway. They do take premium though, and it sounds like you're looking for something a little better on gas. Go test drive various cars and see what you like best.

Must haves like yours make my head hurt.....that covers soooo many cars.

Ha, i know right?

Some really good suggestion's guys. Ive thought about a GTP but didnt really think I could find a good enough car with the mileage I want, for the price I want either. I know they can be modded which is a plus but with mods comes a decrease in reliability of course.

That SE-R sounds just about right though. Not too big/small, reliable not too bad on gas and the price/mileage was good too. I'll have to look into those. Theres a salvage titled one in galloway, maybe I'll test drive it this weekend.

Crossle, good suggestions but most of those are out of my price range, save for the SE-R, Celica and Protege. Id love to pick up a TL but I cant find one for 10k$ without having at least 100k miles.

trowa, I was thinking about picking up a little car like the ones you mentioned. Still a possability but if I do I would deifnitly have to pick up some sort of project, going that slow ALL the time would probably drive me nuts. On the plus side its only a matter of time before gas hits 3.50-4.00$/gallon so it would be nice not to spend so much later on.

If it is your daily that you are not going to race can you afford spending just a bit more? I suggest buying a brand new small 4 banger, like an aveo, or yaris, or fit. Yes they are going to be slow but they will be reliable. I really wish I could afford a 12K car payment because I would so go buy a yaris.

What you think about that?

The fit is a nice little car and for 15K you cant beat it. I will be picking one up next year for the daily.

I have actually heard the fit is surprisingly quick for 109 crank hp.

I bet since it doesn't weigh anything. Power to weight ftw!

Thats always the issue with used hondas, the mileage is always high and if it is a low mileage car they want a small fortune for it.

Look into a 2002-2004 Maxima. They are nice cars inside and out, the 3.5l is pretty powerful and they get around 25 mpg. Its also nice having a vehicle that your friends can sit in comfortably. Nissan's are crazy reliable and the timing chains don't need replaced until close to 200k. I found mine for 8k and I pay just a little under 200.

IS300's are nice but I think it would be difficult to find one w/ that low of miles in your price range. Sentra's aren't bad but not very roomy and under powered. The 3.2 tl's are pretty nice cars.