Progressive style springs, what why do they go in?

fireman_343

Quick question for anyone that knows.... I was about to put the springs in today and I seen that they were progressive springs. I can't remember what way they go into the forks. Do the tighter closer together springs go on the top or bottom? If I remember right, I think they go on the top, but wanted to double check before I button it all up.

Thanks.

Here are the new springs...

DSC00652.jpg

And the bottom spring is the stock one!

DSC00654.jpg

Edited by fireman_343

These are going into my NSR/NSF race bike.

I thought you didn't need the tube with the other springs? The other springs are HRC Hard springs, the bottom one is stock.

The "tube" is a spacer that's used to adjust the preload on a bike that doesnt have adjustable preload.

If you dont have that adjustment, your preload is going to be whatever it is.

I'm not sure if HRC sent him shorter tubes, but I'm going to contact them and find out if I can get some.

Tell what OD and ID as well as length you want the tubes to be and I'll whip some up. Won't cost ya shit:D

The spacer needs to be long enough to get the proper preload.

You'll have to install the springs with a longer than needed spacer, check your front sag, then adjust the length of the spacer.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy - just make sure its one piece. PVC pipe will work if you've got nothing else.

Well, I wonder if HRC has the proper preload adjusters for sale?? I know racetech ships ya springs with a long piece of conduit to cut down as spacers.... I guess I've got to do the same thing. Thanks guys!

You said you already had preload adjustment on the suspension. I seriously doubt that there is more than one available for that fork.

It would be good to know how much to start with, but as long as those springs are, combined with the fact that they're progressive, means you'll either have to get some data from someone that knows that set up or prepare for some trial and error work.

For what its worth, I'm not a big fan of progressive springs on a race bike. Most bikes are set up with a straight rate spring, making your set up and adjustments much easier.

Progressive Springs

Street Fork Spring

Installation Instructions

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/forkSprings/3055.pdf

see step 3: Install your new fork springs into the forks. Mechanically, it makes no difference which way the springs are installed. Some manuals will state; install the spring with the close wound end towards the bottom. This is done because sometimes there will be less spring noise. The springs will perform exactly the same regardless of which direction they are placed...

Calculating pre-load is in the pdf also. It says motorcycle listed on the enclosed chart? I don't see a chart. And gives detailed instructions for calculating your own pre-load.

Thanks everyone... I'm trying to work out a deal now with a guy out in Cali to make me a set of custom springs for these forks. I guess he does a lot of them for us NSR racers, and they are not progressive! I kinda wish that there was someone local that could hook me up with some sweet springs! Damn Cali has all the cool shops!

So, looks like I'll have these HRC springs up for sale soon!

Edited by fireman_343

Thanks everyone... I'm trying to work out a deal now with a guy out in Cali to make me a set of custom springs for these forks. I guess he does a lot of them for us NSR racers, and they are not progressive! I kinda wish that there was someone local that could hook me up with some sweet springs! Damn Cali has all the cool shops!

I'm now taking in free spring donations...if ur interested :D

I'm going to assume that you've tried all the standard channels for springs for that bike? I think the stock spring was a 4.0, how much do you weigh?

I'm 155lbs, and I have a XR100 motor in the bike, might add a few extra pounds with the bigger 4 stroke in there.

And I was told that the only place I can get springs for this bike was thru HRC... I have now found a place in Cali that can custom cut springs and what not for around $140.

I might go that route.

I'm 155lbs, and I have a XR100 motor in the bike, might add a few extra pounds with the bigger 4 stroke in there.

And I was told that the only place I can get springs for this bike was thru HRC... I have now found a place in Cali that can custom cut springs and what not for around $140.

I might go that route.

If you know the weight difference, you may be able to find a set of race tech springs cheaper than the $140.00