Where to purchase and get tire studs installed?

MrMeanGreen

Be careful with Studs in tires around here. I've had them and unless there's a lot of snow, your ass end will be more squirrelly than without them. Best bet is a good set of performance snow tires.

I ran a nice set on my BMW's in the past and it handled like Velcro on carpet. If it wasn't for my GXP being a lease and the wheel sizes being so odd, I'd get a set for it. Summer tires suck for sure, but I'm too cheap to change them out. Stabilitrak and FWD help, but in more than 6" of snow, I'm benched. :o

Looks like Chris and I were on the same thought when posting our responses :)

The GTP is currently down, so she's with the Firebird which is RWD and a manual during the shitty weather when I have to drive the company car. I'd like to give her every advantage possible, thus the need for studs.

The tires are Blizzaks, so they're quite nice for the snow. But again, every little bit helps.

I can testify to that first hand. My 83 Hurst Olds was horrible in the winter but with Studs, traveling on the highway, it was down right dangerous to go above 50mph. Yeah....83 Hurst Olds.....I'm old, but it was a cool ass car in it's day :cool:

Off-snow and ice, the studs will make traction worse. Don't make a mistake...

Skinny is better. I don't know your car, but on mine with 245/18" up front, I'd switch to 225 17" winter tires. Wider footprints will cause the weight to be spread too far and the car will float on the snow vs cutting through it more.

OK, no studs. Next question.

Lower tire pressure for a bigger footprint, or regular tire pressure like in everyday radials?

Skinny is better. I don't know your car, but on mine with 245/18" up front, I'd switch to 225 17" winter tires. Wider footprints will cause the weight to be spread too far and the car will float on the snow vs cutting through it more.

+1 on skinny for winter/snow

I go from 235/40/18 to 215/55/16 Blizzaks for winter.

Your second question has been answered, and I agree as well... spreading the weight out over a wider area is bad on snow and/or ice. I drove an 87 GTA in just a couple inches of snow, and I knew that would be the last time I would drive a RWD 'sports' car in the winter.

Good luck, man.

OK, no studs. Next question.

Lower tire pressure for a bigger footprint, or regular tire pressure like in everyday radials?

Ever see the snow tires rally cars use? Makes the tires an econo box comes with look like F1 racing slicks.

Go skinnier and run regular pressure. Blizzaks are good, LM25s are a great choice. I just put on a set of Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds. I drove through PA yesterday and the highway was sometimes covered in snow. I'm very impressed with these tires.

Ant, go LM-25V's

Been running them for 2 years now and its been one of the best purchases.

35PSI, and you'll never know your running a winter tire (for the most part).

I went from 235/45 to 205/50 (XL Load).

Truly fantastic tires, so long as you don't get your belly stuck you'll get through just about anything.

I haven't seen a snow covered road here that needed "snow" tires in years. A good All season tire will work, you may only drive with snow on the road 5 times a year, tell her to keep her foot out of it.....

Good grief, even then the traffic is so bad going 5mph that you could run drag radials and be fine. :cool: