Best way to cook a steak indoors?

Slimpsy1647545505

I'm out of gas in my grill and too lazy to go swap for another tank...so I'm turning to my fellow steak lovers here and asking what's the best way to cook a steak indoors with the oven/stovetop? I've never been too good with doing it on the stovetop, as you really can't beat that fresh grilled taste. . . .but I'm making steaks for dinner and it's my only option.

Throw me some ideas. . . I know I could google it and look up a ton of recipes, but I figured I'd ask the question from a man, to a man.

Either george foreman for a more "well done" steak, or broil it in the oven. You should have a special setting for it on most ovens. Nothing like biting into a steak covered in blood that is steaming hot.

Damn I want a steak now.

If it's a good steak, it deserves to be cooked outside.

Quit being lazy, you didn't stay up that late last night.

Actually the boards were dead and so I watched a few movies on the california king =) But you're right. . . nothing beats the taste of a grilled steak. And I only get good steaks.

<3

Solid metal skillet, none of that pussy non-stick crap. Little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste on the raw steak. Get pan hot, have lid ready. Apply steak, put on lid, let 1 minute go by. There will be smoke, it should stay under the lid. Flip steak, replace lid, turn off burner, let 2 minutes go by. This is where the quality of the pan you are using comes into play. If it's a good pan, you should still hear sizzle after 2 minutes. If so, it's done, eat up! If not, you may have to apply some more heat, your pan pussied out. This should result in a 'rare' steak, cut of meat, pan, heat of stove can vary cook time. You can also deglaze the pan afterward, and make gravy if that's your thing.

Edit for the naysayers: Sufficient skill and a good pan will result in a steak that is in every way as good as one from a grill. Open flame is a myth perpetuated by grill companies. Don't believe the hype!

Solid metal skillet, none of that pussy non-stick crap. Little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste on the raw steak. Get pan hot, have lid ready. Apply steak, put on lid, let 1 minute go by. There will be smoke, it should stay under the lid. Flip steak, replace lid, turn off burner, let 2 minutes go by. This is where the quality of the pan you are using comes into play. If it's a good pan, you should still hear sizzle after 2 minutes. If so, it's done, eat up! If not, you may have to apply some more heat, your pan pussied out. This should result in a 'rare' steak, cut of meat, pan, heat of stove can vary cook time. You can also deglaze the pan afterward, and make gravy if that's your thing.

Edit for the naysayers: Sufficient skill and a good pan will result in a steak that is in every way as good as one from a grill. Open flame is a myth perpetuated by grill companies. Don't believe the hype!

+1

Guest Subjugator

turn your oven to 350, salt or season the steak with whatever you want to use. If you like your steak still mooing or medium rare, let the salt pull the juices to the surface for a minute, it will make for a more flavorful sear. dredge steak in oil, and brown quickly on ALL sides in a HOT pan. Finish in the oven if needed and then REST the steak for 5 minutes under foil. Serve with a little melted butter on top.

PS. times are only good if your cooking the same size steak witht the same amount of heat.

This was one of the best steaks I've cooked or ever had and it was outside on my gas grille.

Special dry rub

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/misc/DSCN4717.jpg

After

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/misc/DSCN4718.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/misc/DSCN4720.jpg

This was one of the best steaks I've cooked or ever had and it was outside on my gas grille.

Most culinary schools teach that you taste with your eyes first. It must have been absolutely incredible tasting to overcome what I can only describe as looking like something I pooped. Where are the grill marks?