Mid-Ohio Rental Anyone?

Sparky

Thanks Niles, hadn't really thought about putting all that up there yet. I know some places won't let convertibles run at all without an aftermarket rollbar, SCCA is like this. They won't even let the S2000 run without one even though the factory stuff is good enough for most groups, though I can't blame them at all.

I'll have to remember the pants rule, I always forget that when I've been to National Trails for the drags. Other than that and checking up on the car maintenance I'm ready to go.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever get a hold of someone at Nelson Ledges?? I've tried contacting them before with no luck. They still have some dates on their site showing available for rent or we could still just see about a group rate for a Funday or piggy-backing with another club. I'd like to go in September or October.

I've been dreaming of driving on Mid Ohio for a couple years now but haven't been sure how. So I want to expand this question...

Besides making sure your car is in good running condition, do you need to be an SCCA or NASA member to join? I, too, have never driven on a race track or auto-x course but have dreamt of being Michael Schumacher lol. I don't really care what the price ends up being, I'd jump at this opportunity of I just knew what hoops I had to jump through, first.

signup for NASA

https://www.nasaproracing.com/joinrenew.html

signup for mid ohio HPDE group1

you don't have to go all 3 days you can do just friday or just sat - sun (might want to check on friday last i heard they were holding it for some reason)

http://racenasa.nasamidwest.com/season/

they usually provide free water but i bring my own anyway lots of it you will need it

bring long pants

long sleeves

helmet

don't miss the drivers meetings

don't set your parking break when you get off the track

bring extra oil

and it's a good idea to read this

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

you can tech early at an approved facility or tech at the host hotel or at the track in the morning either way print some of these out

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/form_hpde_tech.pdf

here is a list of approved tech shops

http://racenasa.nasamidwest.com/pages/tech_shops.asp

here is a track map

http://racenasa.nasamidwest.com/docs/track_maps/midohio.pdf

bring cash for food and numbers or you can use tape

(just can't use 171 i got dibs on that :)

any questions just ask

Andy and I are planning on going to the first funday on April 18th if anybody else wants to tag along. Even if you just want to go hang out and take some ride alongs it's only $5 for that. That way you can see what it'd be like without ponying up the whole amount (although I still just recommend paying the money and driving).

I'd still like to get a CR day up at Nelson though later in the season. It'd be a nice way to meet some people and put faces to names/cars.

I won't be making this first HPDE but I may come up and watch/ride for a bit. I will be at the next one in July at M/O. I know Ray was talking about doing Road America this year and I'm contemplating it if we don't do a day or so at Nelson.

• 3 weeks later...

Might be kinda late to ask, but:

For the HPDE 1 event tomorrow, I'll get there around 7am and I'm supposed to attend the meeting. I have all of my gear, forms and everything ready, so what do I do once I'm actually approaching Mid-Ohio? Where do I go? Also, how long will I be there tomorrow? I have some plans that I must attend later in the day, will they frown if I leave early (assuming it lasts this long)?

Im at Mid Ohio right now. We're on lunch break in between sessions. This is without a doubt the most fun I've ever experienced in a car! The first run was wet as hell but the sun came out a little bit ago and has dried up. Im worried that autox will seem boring now. :(

'Twas an absolutely thrilling experience. I'm really convinced that I need a truck or suv so I can dedicate my car to the track. I've really learned many of the limits of the car.

My brain was completely raped with information. :eek:

I nearly spun out at the same turn that Andretti flipped at last year (although I caused it myself, lol). I recovered well, though. The classes after each session were so helpful and my instructor was such a great teacher. Of course, I only got one dry run, but my instructor showed me the less-wet strips of the course.

Also, every single person I met seemed so thrilled to be there and were so damn kind and helpful. Nobody was stubborn enough not to let you pass and in general were very courteous.

I decided to skip out on the last session because my rotors were so damn hot and it made me nervous. I can't wait to go back.

It was actually really grippy for being wet. The first session was pretty soaked but the tires still held well. The second run was completely dry and it blew me away how much faster the track is that way.

A Vette and 2 WRXs spun off the track. I also saw one of the racers preparing for this weekend, crash his Porsche 911 into a wall. The rear suspension seriously looked like it was hanging off. He was back out an hour later.

'Twas an absolutely thrilling experience. I'm really convinced that I need a truck or suv so I can dedicate my car to the track. I've really learned many of the limits of the car.

My brain was completely raped with information. :eek:

I nearly spun out at the same turn that Andretti flipped at last year (although I caused it myself, lol). I recovered well, though. The classes after each session were so helpful and my instructor was such a great teacher. Of course, I only got one dry run, but my instructor showed me the less-wet strips of the course.

Also, every single person I met seemed so thrilled to be there and were so damn kind and helpful. Nobody was stubborn enough not to let you pass and in general were very courteous.

I decided to skip out on the last session because my rotors were so damn hot and it made me nervous. I can't wait to go back.

Glad to hear it i was hooked after my first time, and it is by far the best bang for the buck out of any other kind of racing.

It was actually really grippy for being wet. The first session was pretty soaked but the tires still held well. The second run was completely dry and it blew me away how much faster the track is that way.

A Vette and 2 WRXs spun off the track. I also saw one of the racers preparing for this weekend, crash his Porsche 911 into a wall. The rear suspension seriously looked like it was hanging off. He was back out an hour later.

Yep, it's surprising how much grip tires really have even on a wet surface. I ran an autox on my slicks and had about 80%+ of my grip with just the wet surface until there was standing water on the surface.

Rob, was Ray up there today? Been trying to get a hold of him to see if he's up there this weekend as I might go up there tomorrow.

Definitely a good time up there today. The rain made things interesting but in a way I'm glad it was wet. I probably would not have gone if I wasn't prepaid and would have missed the chance to work on my wet driving.

Mike, you should have stayed for the last session, most of the track was almost dry. There were only a few real slick spots. After that third session I can understand why you didn't hang around though, especially with doubts about your brakes.

Definitely a good time up there today. The rain made things interesting but in a way I'm glad it was wet. I probably would not have gone if I wasn't prepaid and would have missed the chance to work on my wet driving.

Mike, you should have stayed for the last session, most of the track was almost dry. There were only a few real slick spots. After that third session I can understand why you didn't hang around though, especially with doubts about your brakes.

Were you there in a green RX7?