thinking of getting a new car

smokin5s

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

might want to check on the braking distance i know the 2002 body accord has a breaking distance of 209 feet from 70 and thats unacceptable.

but it looks like they made some improvements for 2008

2008 accord 60-0 is 137 feet

2008 altima 60-0 is 131 feet unless you get the SE-R it's 111 feet

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_midsize_sedan_comparison/specs_and_%20road_test_data.html

saturn ion....my girlfriend has an 04 and its roomy for a small car, hauls 2 baby seats just fine, has a 12 gallon tank and highway we get almost 400 miles to the tank.....when we drove the trip to md round trip we drove over a thousand miles and averaged city/highway mileage of 35mpg

might want to check on the braking distance i know the 2002 body accord has a breaking distance of 209 feet from 70 and thats unacceptable.

but it looks like they made some improvements for 2008

2008 accord 60-0 is 137 feet

2008 altima 60-0 is 131 feet unless you get the SE-R it's 111 feet

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0802_midsize_sedan_comparison/specs_and_%20road_test_data.html

good stuff in there

Why waste a bunch of money buying new? Buy 2 years old, use the remaining warranty to fix any issues, and save a bunch of money.

Though I've never understood buying a new car to save on gas money; the difference in cost of the car will be more than the difference in gas cost in most cases.

And even with the gas costs I pay (which are more than $60 a fillup), I still wouldn't give up my daily to save a few bucks at the pump.

+1 for the Fit, i drive my mom's around when my DSM is broken (oh wait.. that's all the time) and it has enough pep to keep on the highway and gets easily over 30MPG a tank. I can fit my Tri-Cross bike in the back and still have a passenger shotgun. Also, at higher highway speeds it feels really stable, which i did not expect, i'll be cruising at 80+ and not notice it.

Though I've never understood buying a new car to save on gas money; the difference in cost of the car will be more than the difference in gas cost in most cases.

And even with the gas costs I pay (which are more than $60 a fillup), I still wouldn't give up my daily to save a few bucks at the pump.

+1. I never understood this either. My F-1fiddy gets about 14mpg. Would I like to get a more economical truck? Sure. But it wouldn't make sense because you end up with negative equity from your current vehicle. It would take like 10 years to make up the cost difference in gas.

The reason why I'm considering it is because I'm on my 4th transmission... my warrenty is now up.... anything happens to it again... guess what, that's 3500 dollars out of my pocket. The Power Steering just went out, and I have a coolant leak also...

it just doesn't make sense to keep this car. I'm luckily out of negative equity in the car and I can at least break even on trade-in which is good.

I thought about a couple year old Accord or something along those lines, but they are almost the same cost as buying new. (I test drove an '08 Accord EX for 18,000...) just doesn't make sense to pay 14-16 when I can get a new one for 2k more.

The reason why I'm considering it is because I'm on my 4th transmission... my warrenty is now up.... anything happens to it again... guess what, that's 3500 dollars out of my pocket. The Power Steering just went out, and I have a coolant leak also...

it just doesn't make sense to keep this car. I'm luckily out of negative equity in the car and I can at least break even on trade-in which is good.

I thought about a couple year old Accord or something along those lines, but they are almost the same cost as buying new. (I test drove an '08 Accord EX for 18,000...) just doesn't make sense to pay 14-16 when I can get a new one for 2k more.

Is this car w/ the issues the "GP" in your sig? A Grand Pricks :)? I'm just wondering as my uncle and best friend have GTP's....I can't remember them having any problems.

if one is going to buy new, make it a Camery or Accord. The resale is stupid high so buying used and saving money means higher miles and wear. I paid $27k for my 03 loaded up with wheels, nav, etc....nothing missing and sold it leaving money on the table, with 33k on the ODO at 2.5yr old for just under $20k. I can't get near that out of my GXP with only 13k on the ODO....but it's a lease so who cares.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/image/34018760/small.jpg

Is this car w/ the issues the "GP" in your sig? A Grand Pricks :)? I'm just wondering as my uncle and best friend have GTP's....I can't remember them having any problems.

yes, BUT, my car was the FIRST BATCH of a completely new body style and motor... My car was built in early '03 and was an '04 model. I think mine just might be a lemon with issues that is typical in early line up cars.

Tim, I am tending to agree with you about the resale... but the Altima is just so much nicer... everything I've read, they have lower cost of ownership... and their resale value is pretty good as well.

I'd look at a used Lexus IS250 manual (those seem to sell for a lot less used than the IS250 auto/250 AWD/350. They started making them in 06, and are VERY nice cars. Far nicer than any Accord you will sit in. A couple year old G35 would be nice too.

Since the new CTS came out, the price of the used ones have went down quite a bit. Worth a look.

I've not looked at the Altima since the 02-03 body. I do feel the new ones would make an older body Maxima owner dream......they are nice, even in the base trim.

The main reason I went Honda was for quality...which while not perfect was better than the Altima in 03....now ??? don't know. Also, resale. I'm so torn myself on what to get next. Everything from a G8 to Civic goes through my mind....crazy I know :D

Keep us posted. Rates sure make it a good time to make a move.

Tim, I am tending to agree with you about the resale... but the Altima is just so much nicer... everything I've read, they have lower cost of ownership... and their resale value is pretty good as well.

• 3 weeks later...
honda fit!!

there is alot more room in those things than you think. they get rediculous gas milage, and since they are a hatch back you can haul tons of shit in them. be worth checking out.

you can get them in paddle shift as well. and you really cant beat the price on one

Picking mine up this spring/summer in place of my 2000 Jeep Cherokee :D

I will agree that Fits are very nice for what you pay.

I didn't want an IS250...

any why would I ever even consider buying a Camry??? The Nissa and Honda are both by far nicer than the Camry as well as got higher ratings in cost of ownership.

I'm happy with my choice to go with the Nissan.... at least for now.

+1. I never understood this either. My F-1fiddy gets about 14mpg. Would I like to get a more economical truck? Sure. But it wouldn't make sense because you end up with negative equity from your current vehicle. It would take like 10 years to make up the cost difference in gas.

Go Diesel, you'll see real milage and cry. Not uncommon to see diesel's push well over 20MPG with a few mods IE, Cold air intake, turbo back exhaust, and a flash programmer.

I didn't want an IS250...

Why?

- Faster

- Nicer

- Base model = in trim level to your loaded model, for about 3k more new MSRP vs MSRP.

In 3 years, that IS will be worth WAAAAYY more than the Altima, most likely by 8-10k, making the IS a cheaper car to own. A G35 would be in a similar situation without quite the resale.