thinking of getting a cruiser, opinions plz

Slimpsy1647545505

Hey all. . . I haven't rode a bike in about 5 years now. . . and I'm much bigger than I used to be (by about 100 lbs. . . . eee) and want to get into riding again, but want a nice big cruiser. Now my first choice would have been a fatboy, but since I'm on a budget. . . my new options are an Honda 1800VTX or perhaps a Yamaha Raider.

So my question is, after not riding for 5 years, and not owning anything over 750cc, will bumping up to an 1800cc 800lb bike rock my world? And what are your opinions on the two bikes I'm considering.

Thanks!

the vtx is a great bike. lots of power, lots of room. tons of options to customize. and they sound wicked with pipes. they dont sound like the other honda cruisers, they have a dual pin crank and they have there own distinct tone.

mever really heard much about the raider, but looks like a nice bike. my dad rides a yamaha roadstar and it has been nothing but reliable and a really nice ride.. as well as my grandfather and uncle.

im partial to hondas, but i think either bike would be a nice power cruiser for you.

my suggestions is go check them both out in person and see what you like better. sit on both see which has a mroe comfortable seating position.. trust me the more comfortable seating position the better. especially on a rides that your gonna be travel any decent distance

Thanks for the replies guys. I went and sat on both an 1800vtx and a yamaha road star 1700, and listened to them both run today. . . I honestly liked the feel and sound of the road star better, so I think that's what I'm going with. I may be picking up a used 2004 road star with a lot of extra accessories and such for just over 8,000 with just over 9,000 miles. . so not a bad deal. Going to look for another week, I know now is a good time to buy before the weather gets good and people get that spring fever and take all the used bike inventory :p

Just something you may want to check on but I believe the older Road Star's had transmission problems. Find a Road Star forum and see if it's true.

Never heard anything bad about the VTX but I have heard some people with them say they got to ride a 1300 and liked it better......the 1800 is a beast.

Guest mrhobbz

If your looking for something in that power range. You may want to check out the kawa meanstreaks too.

-Just saw nurkvinnys post.. My father has an 02 meanstreak 1500 and the thing is nasty. Fuel injected, shaft driven, thing shits and gets and makes for a very comfortable ride.

I am in the exact same boat. I had a 02 GSXR 600 rode for 2 years, just got bored and sold it, have since put on about 60 pounds or so, and I am looking at the Raider and the M109R.

From test riding a Sportster 1200 and a dyna wideglide, they have alot more torque than the gsxr did, but really are not fast. It feels alot more comfortable riding than my gsxr ever did though.

• 2 weeks later...