Any Kayakers here?

Nate1647545505

Thinking about picking up a kayak for the spring/summer; wondering about a decent brand, gear, etc. Will probably be trading in the Grand Prix for a truck/suv.

Thanks

from my vague knowledge in kayaking I know that Liquid Logic is a very good brand...

from my vague knowledge in kayaking I know that Liquid Logic is a very good brand...

I too know that liquid logic is a good brand, my parents have two of them. Also, a mistake many people make is getting a kayak that is too short for them = unstable. Be sure to get sized correctly ( do not buy a kayak from Dick's, or Sports Authority, or Gander Mountain ) ...... go to a store specific to "paddlers" they're truly the only places that actually know what they're talking about - and often prices are way better.

Nate: Don't worry about brands and quality for your first kayak. Sounds odd, but the features that make the nice ones seem nice are based on preference. Until you have sufficient experience in a kayak, you don't really have preferences, so just get on the water. :) Rotomolded plastic is tough to screw up, so go get the cheapest yak you can find and enjoy it.

Holler when you get one, we'll have to get out and have a CR rowing day. I've got a 16' scanoe rigged for sculling, I'll race you from a dig.

i have my instructors license for white water and flatwater canoeing :)

What about surf canoing? :)

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5816/boatra6.jpg

My uncle is an instructor and my girlfriend and I just recently started going to roll classes. It's quite fun, basically I've been kayaking around a giant swimming pool on sunday nights. I hope to get into some class two rapids by the end of summer. who know maybe higher? My uncle's advice to me was not to buy anything brand new because you might not like it and you'll lose alot trying to sell it back. He said the best thing to do is find someone that knows whats up and buy a used one.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Jimmy Notchback!!! What the hell is up son?

Carl: I'll give you a buzz soon. I have a box of IT books for you.

Ferris: I'm open as far as budget, just don't want to buy something that will contribute to me becoming a submarine

Eric & Jimmy: Sounds like I need to find myself some classes. Would it be worth while to talk to some of the rowers here at Purdue? (Similar concepts?) Eric, I don't think I'll be going that extreme, but we'll see if I get bit by the extreme sports bug come spring/summer.

Everyone else: Thanks. I'll look into used equipement and keep an eye out for Liquid Logic.

P.S. Cody, I'm switching to an SUV so I have room for Amir and Achmall to fire the RPG at unsuspecting homo GTI drivers. :D

After going to Maine last year and Kayaking on the ocean I really got into the hobby. I bought a pretty crappy one last year, but am looking to pick up a Perception this spring. There are quite a few good brands, but I've made my decision on getting a Perception based on that's what we used in Maine and they were very easy to maneuver.

http://www.paddling.net/ has a lot of great information as well as reviews on equipment as well.

Purdue might even have a club that you could go check out. The classes I went to were 5 dollars a piece and were at a college in wheeling.

p.s. Nate, my life has turn to shambles without you in it.

Sounds like I was replaced!!! :mad:

You used me like a piece of meat!!!!

How do you sleep at night???