April NASA Mid Ohio classes/cost/info up...

AI Coupe

April 11, 12, 13 NASA event is up:

https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/show/?event_id=708

If you are interested in going, get a NASA membership and get signed up. HPDE 1 and 2 spots go quick.

Most fun you can have with your pants on... Dan doesn't know yet but I'm taking his 5.0.

Ron

As far as class time... heres the deal. Drivers are grouped as HPDE 1, 2 3 and 4. For the most part, rookies will/should be in HPDE 1 the first day out. You can easily move to HPDE 2 the second day after you have some track time.

You have a general drivers meeting each day at about 7:30/8AM, then you break down to classroom time. HPDE 1 and 2 usually lasts about 30 to 40 minutes, then off to the grid when called.

Each track session is 20 minutes (four per day), then you regroup at the classroom for a Q&A, debrief and hand slapping if necessary. If you miss the debrief you don't go out the next session.

Just a word to those that think they don't want an instructor or classtime... you should go into this as a sponge with an open mind wanting to learn everything you can. I know we all think we are big shots with our cars and never do anything wrong, but believe me, EVERYTHING you do if you don't have an instructor in the car will be wrong!!! They are there to teach you the proper line and how to go fast, and they know the track way better then you do.

I've only been driving in NASA for a year but the learning curve is fast and safe. I ran a fully prepared 330 whp Griggs AI Mustang and still spun 4 times. I promise you your street suspension and stock brakes WILL scare the crap out of you.

I'll try to answer any questions I can. See you in April.

Ron

It's a very safe atmosphere with them, Ray said he had so much fun because the environment was nice and controlled and the instructors were a great help, in and out of the car.

Gray, they still pretty much put you right out in your car as there's no real other way to learn this stuff. You have your class time inbetween run groups then your "download"(debrief as Ron put it) after a session where they discuss how you did and work on what you can do better.

I may not of done this yeat but I got a lot of great insight from Ray doing it all season, I think he's going to stay in HPDE 3 for another event or 2 with going to a different car then moving to HPDE 4 next season. I have some catching up to do!!

I'd like to to do this but I'm a little confuzzled. Is the $175 HPDE for Friday basically a run-around the track with an instructor? All I really want to do is attend some info courses and have an instructor go around the track with me. Would I be okay to just sign up for that first HPDE $175 option?

Go to the NASA site, join NASA for $45 (you have to join to participate in ANY NASA events) and sign on for HPDE 1 for Friday.

Friday is the best day for rookies 'cause it has 1/2 the traffic of Sat and Sun.

HPDE 1 requires an instructor in car, plenty of track and classroom time and a good introduction to the proper/fast way to drive Mid Ohio.

HPDE 2 does not require an instructor but you need a day in HPDE 1 before you can sign on for HPDE 2.

Hope that helps. Your Mini would be a great track car but make sure you are up on new/extra pads and hi temp brake fluid.

***Note to all interested in doing the April wekend... sign on NOW. The available slots fill up quick.

Ron

Ron

I'm rather irritated that they don't let you do single-day sign up for weekends anymore, but I suppose that keeps traffic down. I'll have to ask about bringing multiple cars and lettign others drive them. I have my car, but also another that could use a shake-down and I'd like to put other team members in it.

Signed up. Will be driving the beater though.

What day(s)? I'm thinking friday, as the cost plus missed time form work will be less than sat-sun.

Edit: Anyone interested in camping out up there? I've got a tent that sleeps 8+.

^I don't think they will care as long as the person registers their name with a car, I doubt they will know if it's not "their" care they're driving.

I won't be participating but once I get my membership I'm going to volunteer to work this first event so I can get my free day for the next one and help with the costs.

Go to the NASA site, join NASA for $45 (you have to join to participate in ANY NASA events) and sign on for HPDE 1 for Friday.

Friday is the best day for rookies 'cause it has 1/2 the traffic of Sat and Sun.

HPDE 1 requires an instructor in car, plenty of track and classroom time and a good introduction to the proper/fast way to drive Mid Ohio.

HPDE 2 does not require an instructor but you need a day in HPDE 1 before you can sign on for HPDE 2.

Hope that helps. Your Mini would be a great track car but make sure you are up on new/extra pads and hi temp brake fluid.

***Note to all interested in doing the April wekend... sign on NOW. The available slots fill up quick.

Ron

Ron

Very helpful! Can I pay for the membership and just pay for that Friday only? I'd just like to get some instruction and teachings for 1 day. I was planning on going to the test n tune autox that weekend.

Very helpful! Can I pay for the membership and just pay for that Friday only? I'd just like to get some instruction and teachings for 1 day. I was planning on going to the test n tune autox that weekend.

i was planning on doing the same. maybe see you at both tracks.