Got Torque?

koolrayz

I finally got off my butt and started taking the car apart today. Pulled the transmission and gutted the rear axle assembly. Two years ago I put a spool in because the detroit locker didnt engage as much of the axle splines as a spool did and the splines were showing wear. Here is what I found when I pulled the axles. This is the passenger side. There was a little twist on the drivers side but I needed a straight edge to see it. I would have thought the driver side would have taken more of the torque than the passenger due to the torque twist? Maybe this was a defective axle (incorect metal properties)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/koolrayz/DSC01430.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/koolrayz/shop.jpg

My wife is a senior quality engineer at a manufacturing facility that makes semi axles for dana. Her Boss wants her to bring the axle in for a series of tests. He says the axle should have broken before it twisted that much. So I will be contacting Moser with a report in hand from a PHD in metalurgy.

I feel really lucky to have found the axle like that, instead of after I kissed the wall or another racer in the other lane!

Guest Removed
I'm still amazed at how little metal there is that engages the axles and how long they last for the abuse they see.

wonder why 9"s are better then 10/12 bolts

I would have thought the driver side would have taken more of the torque than the passenger due to the torque twist? Maybe this was a defective axle (incorect metal properties)

If I am not mistaken, torque twist plants the passenger tire harder than the drivers tire, the pinion is acting as the pivot point lifting the passender side of the car.

Very nice axle, how is the ring and pinion looking after that much power?

I'm still amazed at how little metal there is that engages the axles and how long they last for the abuse they see.

More splines = more surface are to distribute the load, untill the metal become to thin to bear the load and shears off.

Guest Removed
As stated in the thread It IS a moser 9" with 31 spline axles

thats why i siad what i said .

but then your not suppose to run spools on the street. hence the axle twisting!