Anyone framiliar with Nitrogen for tires?

Sparky

air is 70% nitrogen... pure nitrogen sustains temp changes better than standard air, but is only necessary for extreme heat changes, i.e. nascar/ slicks where you're doing a large burnout or a high amount of friction/increased heat is being applied to the tires. the only benifit I could see for a regular car is that nitrogen molecules are smaller than regular air so it may reduce the speed that air leaks out of tires naturally.

the only benifit I could see for a regular car is that nitrogen molecules are smaller than regular air so it may reduce the speed that air leaks out of tires naturally.

so if your lazy and don't check your tires nitrogen fill them. lol

air is 70% nitrogen... pure nitrogen sustains temp changes better than standard air, but is only necessary for extreme heat changes, i.e. nascar/ slicks where you're doing a large burnout or a high amount of friction/increased heat is being applied to the tires. the only benifit I could see for a regular car is that nitrogen molecules are larger than regular air so it may reduce the speed that air leaks out of tires naturally.

Fixed ;)

I have a chemist friend and we were having this discussion one day at lunch at Wendys. There was a garage next door with a huge sign advertising a Nitrogen special:-)

I explained that the theory going around about it was that Nitrogen wouldn't leak out as fast due to the molecules size. He then drew me pictures of Oxygen, Nitrogen, and even some rubber molecules and explained that that theory didn't hold water in his understanding. I don't have the ability to take it that far so who knows, but I do know that air is already 70/20 nitrogen/oxygen or so with some other stuff mixed in.

Evan

Airplane tires are filled with nitrogen because they're made of quite different materials than car tires, because they pass through vast temperature extremes within a matter of hours, and because they are enormously more stressed in terms of speeds and weights than are car tires.Race-car tires are filled with nitrogen because it is virtually unaffected by temperature. Travel at 150 or 175 mph on a tire filled with compressed air and the heat that speed generates will soon raise the tire pressure by as much as 15 or 20 psi, and in a serious race car (a Formula One car, a Nascar Cup car) just a one-psi tire-pressure difference can affect handling substantially. In anything from a Toyota Corolla to a Ferrari 599 traveling at Interstate speeds, even Michael Schumacher

wouldn't notice the difference.

The best thing you can do for your tires is to check the inflation pressure once a month, or certainly before any road trip. And the worst thing you can do is fill them with a gas that might persuade you to ignore them.

But boy, do I have a deal for you! For only $50 a tire, I'll inflate yours with helium. It'll make your car lighter, reduce unsprung weight, and give you better gas mileage. Works for the Goodyear Blimp, what's not to like?

Trust me, nitrogen DOES change with temperature, more than most people think. I am a commercial aircraft mechanic, and I speak from first hand experience. If we check the TP with the tires warm (warm, not hot), the pressure is generally about 25-40 lbs. higher than after they have sat for about an hour and cooled to the ambient temp. The hydraulic accumulators are also precharged with nitrogen, and the pressure listed for 0 degress F is 900 psi, and 130 degrees F is 1400 psi. Thats 500 psi for only a 130 degree change in temp. And it will leak out of tires, and it doesn't explode if mixed with air (at least not in our work vehicles ;) )

I used to work for Tire Discounters and got interested in the topic while working there, so here are the facts.

1. It is an inert gas (no it will not explode under any circumstances)

2. When filtered out of regular air it is simply the biggest molecule, and hense why it is supposed to take longer to leach out of the tire, so tires still lose pressure

3. When it is filtered water vapor is removed which helps keep pressure fluctuation down. Depending on where you get your compressed air from water vapor varies greatly so I think this would be the biggest benefit.

So is it safe definetly, is it better sure but not by much, arguably a sales gimmick

I tried mixing air with my nitrogen tires once... Talk about one mistake I will never make again. Car exploded almost immediately following the introduction of the air. Thank God I got the diluted Nitrogen so the reaction wasn't as bad and I didn't die. I was just horribly maimed and still suffer from it to this day.

I have a chemist friend and we were having this discussion one day at lunch at Wendys. There was a garage next door with a huge sign advertising a Nitrogen special:-)

I explained that the theory going around about it was that Nitrogen wouldn't leak out as fast due to the molecules size. He then drew me pictures of Oxygen, Nitrogen, and even some rubber molecules and explained that that theory didn't hold water in his understanding. I don't have the ability to take it that far so who knows, but I do know that air is already 70/20 nitrogen/oxygen or so with some other stuff mixed in.

Evan

i don't think it has anything to do with it leaking out the advantage to using nitrogen is how it reacts to changes in temperature.

meaning if you fill your tires up in hot weather then it gets cold the pressure decreases.

or when your tires get hot the air inside them expands and therefor the pressure increases. nitrogen does not expand when heated like regular air does.