Car Stereo Amp Help

mrs.cos

Not sure if this belongs in Passing lane, or Tech help, mods move if necessary..

I have a JVC KD-SH55 and Myhusband for my birthday last year bought me a 12" Infinity Refernce Series Sub. (1250W)

Any Help appreciated.

I would like to get an amp so i can finally install this thing. I LIke to have a little bit of bump in my trunk so i dont need anything wacky, just a decently prices amp, and a box for the sub.

Stereo Specs

* Power Output: 200W Max. (50W x 4)/w bro

* CD-R/CD-RW Compatible

* iEQ (3-Band Parametric)

* Preamp Fader Control

Sub Specs

# 12" 4-ohm subwoofer

# polypropylene woofer cone with large-roll rubber surround

# frequency response: 23-400 Hz

# power range: 60-300 watts RMS (1,200 watts peak power)

# sensitivity: 93 dB

# top-mount depth: 5-1/8"

# sealed box volume: 1.25 cu. ft.

# ported box volume: 2.00 cu. ft.

I also have Refernce series Crossover Speakers for the doors, i assume that will make some difference in the needs for the amp?

Yeah, i had a pyramid about 6 years ago, wasnt impressed..

I was recomended a Clarion, but i would liket ohave a few optoions to look at, before picking one.

I am also looking for specific models if possible since i dont know exactly what i am looking for.

• 4 weeks later...
the best amps to go with are the top brands alpine rockford kenwood audiobahn infinity. with amps more times then not you are getting what you pay for. If you were to buy say a pyramid or a jensen amp they say the wattage is 1000 when in all reality its only about 600 but if you bought a top brand like audiobahn or infinity they say the wattage is 1000 its 1000. now not all top brands are high dollar you can get some for rather cheap say 200 for a 600 watt but if you bridged it it would be 1200 which is were you need to be to get the most out of your sub. you always want to get an amp as close to the peak power of your sub without going over. IF you look on ebay than you can possibly get a brand new 600 watt amp for around 100 plus shipping. Hope this helps you good luck with your system

now not all top brands are high dollar you can get some for rather cheap say 200 for a 600 watt but if you bridged it it would be 1200 which is were you need to be to get the most out of your sub. you always want to get an amp as close to the peak power of your sub without going over.

I wouldn't worry so much about hitting that 1200w mark. I would be more concerned with RMS. Stick to somewhere around 250w RMS. It's kinda like a motor. If your max power is 1200hp but you only make that for 50rpm it is useless. RMS is what the amp will constantly operate at. Keep it less then what the sub says. Just like a motor, don't run it on the ragged edge unless you only need it for 1 race. I have 2 Sony Xplod speakers and a 2400w Volfenhaug amp. Both cheap products but, paired together they make a good amount of thump. The speakers handle 380w RMS and the amp puts out 280w RMS. I had some Solo-Baric Compitition 12's and a JBL amp. They pounded hard as hell....for a couple months. Now I have one kick @$$ amp, a paper weight and a speaker with a voice coil barely clinging to the cone. Worthless.

Cliff Notes: Get a decent name brand and pay attention to your RMS not peak watts.

IMO if your not paying about a $1 a watt you're getting junk, just as a basic rule of thumb. Find something with about a 300W RMS or 600W peak for your sub and your head unit shoud power the rest of speakers fine. Good luck with your project.