Guns, Fear, the Constitution, and the Public's Health

Sturg1647545502

Im a CPR instructor for the fire department i work for and came across ts tonight while doing some research for a class tomarrow.

There have been alot of gun discussions, so here is some fuel for the fire.

(i also work in an level 1 trauma ER and can vouge for this...)

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/358/14/1421

One paragraph:

In 2005, in this country, 30,694 people died from gunshot wounds; 17,002 cases were suicides, 12,352 were homicides, and 1340 were accidental, police-related, or of undetermined intent. Nearly 70,000 more people received treatment for nonfatal wounds in U.S. emergency departments. The disheartening 30% case fatality rate is 18 times that for injuries to motorcyclists. More than 80% of gun-related deaths are pronounced at the scene or in the emergency department; the wounds are simply not survivable. This reality is reflected in the fact that the $2 billion annual costs of medical care for the victims of gun violence are dwarfed by an estimated overall economic burden, including both material and intangible costs, of $100 billion.1 It's unlikely that health care professionals will soon prevent a greater proportion of shooting victims from dying; rather, we as a society must prevent shootings from occurring in the first place.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell is a medical journal weighing in on this? Does anyone seriously think that a medical science writer has better numbers than the legsilators have access to?

All I see hear is yet another article by someone who wants stricter gun control.

Quite frankly, the person most likely to get shot by me, is the one trying to take away my gun.

• Confused 1

17,002 cases were suicides... They would have found some other way to do it.

12,352 were homicides... this number will increase if you take the lawful persons gun away.

1340 were accidental... It is 1992, and schoolmates Yoshihiro Hattori and Webb Haymaker have been invited to a Halloween party. Yoshi, a 16-year-old exchange student and avid dancer, wears a white tuxedo like John Travolta's in Saturday Night Fever. By mistake, they stop at a house up the block from their destination. No one answers the doorbell.

Inside are Rodney and Bonnie Peairs. She opens a side door momentarily, sees the boys, and yells to her husband, "Get the gun." He does (it is a .44 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver) and reopens the door. Yoshi and Webb, by now back at the sidewalk, start to return. Yoshi exclaims, "We're here for the party!"

"Freeze!" responds Peairs. Yoshi does not understand the idiom. He approaches the house, repeating his statement about the party. Peairs shoots him once in the chest. Thirty minutes later, Yoshi dies in an ambulance. Bonnie Peairs would later testify, "There was no thinking involved." (taken from the article)

this happens. yea, and it shouldn't. if you own a gun you should understand that scenarios like this do happen. the last part says it all "There was no thinking involved."

"It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: . Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent . Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent . Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! . In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed."

-http://concealed.wordpress.com/2007/12/01/•-gun-control-statistics/

Also, there are ~438,000 deaths annually from Tobacco use and there were 44933 (2004) automobile related deaths. Should we ban both of those? Just my $.02 ;)

• Upvote 2

ha. just got my CCW cert today. now just gotta go down to the S.O. and get my permit

I got my certificate that I passed the course also back in mid-March. I just haven't made my appointment to get my CCW permit yet.

Also, the Ohio Senate is supposed to vote on "Castle Doctrine" in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it will pass. Strickland is for it, I like the chances.

Laws like these only take guns away from the people that own and use them responsibly. These laws change nothing for the criminals except that they would know as they enter your house to rob you that you are unarmed, tha Australia numbers prove it.

Spidey hit the nail on the head with the suicides and homicides.

"It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: . Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent . Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent . Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! . In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed."

-http://concealed.wordpress.com/2007/12/01/•-gun-control-statistics/

Also, there are ~438,000 deaths annually from Tobacco use and there were 44933 (2004) automobile related deaths. Should we ban both of those? Just my $.02 ;)

what he said.

yea spelling was never my strong point, coincidentally like peoples ability to look beyond their own views and wants to realize our countries social deficits.

i hunt and really enjoy it, but if i have to give up my gun for 50 some odd weeks out of the year (with a proposal that you can only posses a firearm during hunting season or must live outside city limits to have a hand gun) then so be it. Our jails are packed as it is and so bumping up penalties for illegal possession wont cut it. Im not going to continue with semantics but one doesn't have to work in a hospital or run urban EMS to understand that there are a lot of good and decent people dying for little or no reason. A change must happen.

People smarter than i conduct these studies...the body count and monetary figures are there, how you want to justify it is up to you.

I can see we went way off topic from the OP.

So I will add. As everyone else has pretty much stated. Its not the law abiding citizens that we need to take guns away from. Its (i didnt know what to put with out offending someone) all the bad people.

Youll take note that to get a CCW you can not have any felonies. So much for those "bad" people. But they will carry them anyway.

And on a side note. Im sure there are many people getting CCW's to be "cool" as Im sure they are here with us today. But we can only do so much. I see no reason to take away from what is rightfully ours. If those people want this, they should move to another country tells them how to live. And if we want it vote DEM.

Another point that most people are missing is that criminals are not going to follow ANY gun control laws that are passed. They are CRIMINALS, therefore they have already shown their apathy towards laws. I think we should focus on helping those criminals that we can and punishing those that we can't, instead of arbitrarily deciding that taking away a certain type of tool will stop crime. My .02 YMMV

Another point that most people are missing is that criminals are not going to follow ANY gun control laws that are passed. They are CRIMINALS, therefore they have already shown their apathy towards laws. I think we should focus on helping those criminals that we can and punishing those that we can't, instead of arbitrarily deciding that taking away a certain type of tool will stop crime. My .02 YMMV

+1. Gun laws do nothing to stop criminals. Studies prove this fact as well. The only people that are going to give up their weapons are law-abiding citizens.

I like the fact that a criminal has to think twice before deciding who his next victim is going to be, these days you never know who has a CCW permit.

How many people do you know that have been shot by a registered gun owner?

Now ask yourself....

How many people do you know that have been diagnosed with Cancer?

Outlaw cancer!!!!! Do it now!!!

Everyone, turn in your cancer this weekend please

Im a CPR instructor for the fire department i work for and came across ts tonight while doing some research for a class tomarrow.

There have been alot of gun discussions, so here is some fuel for the fire.

(i also work in an level 1 trauma ER and can vouge for this...)

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/358/14/1421

One paragraph:

In 2005, in this country, 30,694 people died from gunshot wounds; 17,002 cases were suicides, 12,352 were homicides, and 1340 were accidental, police-related, or of undetermined intent. Nearly 70,000 more people received treatment for nonfatal wounds in U.S. emergency departments. The disheartening 30% case fatality rate is 18 times that for injuries to motorcyclists. More than 80% of gun-related deaths are pronounced at the scene or in the emergency department; the wounds are simply not survivable. This reality is reflected in the fact that the $2 billion annual costs of medical care for the victims of gun violence are dwarfed by an estimated overall economic burden, including both material and intangible costs, of $100 billion.1 It's unlikely that health care professionals will soon prevent a greater proportion of shooting victims from dying; rather, we as a society must prevent shootings from occurring in the first place.

Chicago continues to be overrun by violent crime and guns. Despite some of the tightest gun control laws in the country, murders are a twice-daily occurrence in Chicago, on average.

Other jurisdictions around the nation in the last decade have come to realize the fallacy of gun control. Thirty-two states now issue concealed-carry gun permits and on average violent crime has dropped 24 percent in those states1, but Chicago, following the dubious example of Washington, D.C., continues with the old tried-and-failed method of legislating criminal behavior out of existence by restricting access to firearms. Even open-carry of a gun is banned here.

Our booming population of murderous thugs love the 'gun-free' atmosphere that such policies create. It leaves them with all the guns, and they use them. In 2001, their exhaustive, murderous efforts put 665 bodies on slabs in the morgue, which made Chicago the murder capital of the nation yet again. Moral cretins like these pay scant attention to the laws that prohibit blowing holes in other people, so naturally gun control laws are of no consequence to them whatsoever.

To the thugs, Chicago is a new Wild West, where bullets can and do fly anyplace, anytime. Even better for the hoods, the law-abiding guy on the other side of the corral has no way to defend himself from hails of illicit gunfire. With only the lawbreakers armed and the law-abiding obeying gun laws, the piles of cold bodies stack up like bloody cordwood year after grim year. The more 'sensible gun laws' Mayor Daley and company pass, the larger the body counts.

http://www.gunowners.org/op0308.htm