Headunit done?

Guest mrhobbz

Guest mrhobbz

So my amp just showed up today so I decided to install the 12's in the camaro. Now when I turn the gain on the amp up even the slightest amount my components distort to the beat of whatever song is on at the moment.

With the RCA's unplugged from the headunit no distortion.

With the gain turned all the way down, no distortion.

With the sub out turned off on the headunit, no distortion.

So far I've tried grounding the headunit to the chassis, three sets of rca's.

Running 4ga power on the pass. side, remote on the pass. side. RCA's down the drivers side. Any suggestions?

Since you've eliminated the RCAs as a possible cause the next thing I would do is eliminate the amp. Do you know anyone who has one sitting around that you could borrow for a day? If so put theirs in and see what happens. It sounds like that is the most likely culprit at the moment. What you described sounds like there is feedback coming out of the RCA inputs on the amp. If that's the case you'll have to send it back because the power supply in it is not regulated right.

The next step would be to try another deck for a day.

If that doesn't work out I have some questions that will help figure it out:

- What are you hooking the amp up to? The subs I'm guessing

- Is it a 1, 2 or 4 channel amp?

- Are you running it normal or bridged?

- What ohm load are the speakers that you're hooking up to? Single voice coil or dual voice coil?

- What is the preout voltage from your deck?

Ken

Guest mrhobbz
Since you've eliminated the RCAs as a possible cause the next thing I would do is eliminate the amp. Do you know anyone who has one sitting around that you could borrow for a day? If so put theirs in and see what happens. It sounds like that is the most likely culprit at the moment. What you described sounds like there is feedback coming out of the RCA inputs on the amp. If that's the case you'll have to send it back because the power supply in it is not regulated right.

The next step would be to try another deck for a day.

If that doesn't work out I have some questions that will help figure it out:

- What are you hooking the amp up to? The subs I'm guessing

- Is it a 1, 2 or 4 channel amp?

- Are you running it normal or bridged?

- What ohm load are the speakers that you're hooking up to? Single voice coil or dual voice coil?

- What is the preout voltage from your deck?

Ken

Amp is mono block class d, running 2 12's dual 4ohm coils wired in parallel to 1ohm.

I've tested a junk pyramid amp and the problem seems to go away.

I just tried to read the voltage on the amp and it fried my multimeter as well... Taking it back

It really sounds like you have wires switched on the amp. I'd hook it up one more time and try it out. If not, wth, I'd try swapping the wires no matter what it says on the amp itself, though the chances they're labeled or connected incorrectly inside the amp is pretty small.

Guest mrhobbz
What is the model of the head unit ?

Pioneer DEH4800MP. Same headunit I had in the buick after i smashed the faceplate on my clarion. Im pretty sure its the amp at this point, almost like im getting feedback from the input on the amp. I've tested that purple pyramid of thornes and the problem goes away.

At this point I'm thinking either the RCA inputs are not grounded in the amp or the powersupply is fucked up.

Guest mrhobbz
Get out the volt meter and check continuity on all the wires. You have a bad ground somewhere.

Done and done. Ground at the amp is fine, ground at the HU is fine, even grounded it to the chassis to be sure.

I had this once b4, Is the Power ran to the Amp on the same side of the car as the RCA's... I dont know how but this can effect it sometimes... I learned this from Mike when Import Xtremes was alive.

Guest mrhobbz
I had this once b4, Is the Power ran to the Amp on the same side of the car as the RCA's... I dont know how but this can effect it sometimes... I learned this from Mike when Import Xtremes was alive.

Nope, complete opposite sides. Hell even if I did with the RCA's I have i doubt it would cause that much noise :)

Guest mrhobbz
Just tryin, good luck on finding the prob.

Thanks, I may go ahead and try some different power wire, the shit im using now is junk and a really odd gauge for car audio (5ga? :x)

Guest mrhobbz
I have the answer sould have called.

The stock moonson amp does not take kindly to adding more power the inputs. Your options are to build a RCA conversion OR Bypass the stokc amp

I don't think im connected to the monsoon amp...\

**Went and checked again, the mount for the monsoon amp is there, but the amp is no where to be found.

I have the answer sould have called.

The stock moonson amp does not take kindly to adding more power the inputs. Your options are to build a RCA conversion OR Bypass the stokc amp

You are WRONG. I have a Sony Deck in my car with factory monsoon and as long as your using the rca's on the new headunit there should be NO static on those wires. I am however still using the factory wiring etc.. for my stock speakers. I got my deck at Circuit City, got my mounts and harness at Wal-mart. Then wired it all up myself, ben working fine for the past 2 months. I still think one of your grands is bad, or the deck you have has a short inside of it. Have you tried another aftermarket deck?

Guest mrhobbz
You are WRONG. I have a Sony Deck in my car with factory monsoon and as long as your using the rca's on the new headunit there should be NO static on those wires. I am however still using the factory wiring etc.. for my stock speakers. I got my deck at Circuit City, got my mounts and harness at Wal-mart. Then wired it all up myself, ben working fine for the past 2 months. I still think one of your grands is bad, or the deck you have has a short inside of it. Have you tried another aftermarket deck?

The only after market deck i have does not have low level outputs on it.

I was thinking the same thing, even if the monsoon amp WAS hooked up there wouldn't be a problem with my outputs, the monsoon amp would be completely oblivious to the fact anyway.

Second note, checked out my wheel well. The monsoon amp has been removed (mounting bracket is still there) So either way that wouldnt be an issue. I've double checked, and tripple checked my grounds. Went ahead and spent more money on some new wire all around. At this point I'm going to guess its maybe a ground at the factory electrical system. Maybe I should just go ahead and upgrade that while im at it. I also very seriously doubt its the headunit, I've tried another amp and the problem goes away.

The only after market deck i have does not have low level outputs on it.

I was thinking the same thing, even if the monsoon amp WAS hooked up there wouldn't be a problem with my outputs, the monsoon amp would be completely oblivious to the fact anyway.

Second note, checked out my wheel well. The monsoon amp has been removed (mounting bracket is still there) So either way that wouldnt be an issue. I've double checked, and tripple checked my grounds. Went ahead and spent more money on some new wire all around. At this point I'm going to guess its maybe a ground at the factory electrical system. Maybe I should just go ahead and upgrade that while im at it. I also very seriously doubt its the headunit, I've tried another amp and the problem goes away.

Walmart sells mp3 cd player decks for about $100, try one that has TRUE low level outputs and see if that helps your cause. I still say its the deck. Last time that happened to me it was the deck, no matter what I hooked into it it would be noisy as hell. And yes I had plenty of speakers/amps traded with the brother weekly when he went through that phase ;)

Guest mrhobbz
Walmart sells mp3 cd player decks for about $100, try one that has TRUE low level outputs and see if that helps your cause. I still say its the deck. Last time that happened to me it was the deck, no matter what I hooked into it it would be noisy as hell. And yes I had plenty of speakers/amps traded with the brother weekly when he went through that phase ;)

I really doubt its the headunit at this point, i've thrown 3 amps besides mine on it and the problem goes away. I'll the alpine out of the truck and try that tomorrow night for shits and giggles though.

I misread what it was. I had a Mustang with the "upgraded" sound system. If I touched the volume it would go nuts i had to do a amp bypass. I was pretty sure I had to have the same thing done in my first camaro but my second one never left the stock radio. (I added subs)