Outragious overdraft fees from Chase

copperhead

I have no had it happen since I switched to Huntington, but if it does...they take the funds from my savings.

Although, I closed one Huntington acct and opened another one...the closed one was still tied to my paypal acct....I made a purchase from Ebay. Instead of Huntington declining the transaction...they let it come thru....paid it, then charged the shit outta me cause the funds were not there....I called and said "you dumb fucks...I CLOSED The acct"...They said an acct is never "closed"..They reversed it all though...I was pissed. It got crazy though..they were hitting it with $7 a day while it was under.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a savings account with Chase, so overdraft protection just means that what I paid for gets paid for instead of declined. As for people telling me to watch my money more carefully, this is only the second time that I can think of that I have ever overdrafted, and the fees before were nothing like this.

Here in a bit I'm going to drive 10 miles to get to a branch, and see what they can do for me.

Any bank will rape you just as bad when you go over. If you are going to go to Hunington do it because their website and automated systems update faster. And they have more branches where you need them. My second account is through Hunington and they update transactions, and pending activity way faster than Chase. Plus the website is a lot easier and more functional.

If I didnt have my chase account for so long I would have cancelled it.

Just be careful with ur purchases guys it doesn't take much to get 400 in the hole in one day copper head another way u can do overdraft protection is a credit card solely for opd or u can link it to a homeline of credit an if u go over its a 7 doller transfer fee a lot cheaper then 35 bucks per transaction

Just be careful with ur purchases guys it doesn't take much to get 400 in the hole in one day copper head another way u can do overdraft protection is a credit card solely for opd or u can link it to a homeline of credit an if u go over its a 7 doller transfer fee a lot cheaper then 35 bucks per transaction

U should check Chase Privacy Policy, you are not supposed to be speaking about Chase/on behalf of Chase on a public forum. FYI.

If ANY bank would just actually deny the transaction instead of letting it go through and tacking a huge fee onto it, people would start switching overnight. Why isn't there one? They wouldn't make any money! Personally I am fine with the fiscally handicapped paying the bills for my bank while responsible people pay little. That probably sounds elitist, but you guys are all over "let natural selection take it's course" so this should be an easily understood concept.

I just looked at my online statement again and things become a bit more clear. I overdrafted $6. The next day a $55 deposit hit my account, but then immediately came a $64 fee. I didn't check my account for a few days, so I didn't see it. I went on assuming that $55 was there. If that fee wouldn't have happened, I would have had +$3 when my paycheck hit, but because of that fee I was negative the whole time. As soon as my paycheck came in, BAM $160 fee.

looks like chase cares more about a couple hundred bucks in fees than keeping a long term customer. They didn't even TRY to keep me around, beyond saying "oh, we can't close your account until tomorrow. Come back then."

i used Wachovia down in Florida and wish they had them up here. they allowed you up to $200 withdrawal without an overdraft fee if you had enough in your current balance, plus they had free checks/ATM usage and there was no minimum balance for any accounts.

so unlike gay banks like NationalCity where you deposit $500 on Friday and on Saturday you go to find out your current balance might be $500 but your "available" is $000....grrr that makes me so mad.

If ANY bank would just actually deny the transaction instead of letting it go through and tacking a huge fee onto it, people would start switching overnight. Why isn't there one? They wouldn't make any money! Personally I am fine with the fiscally handicapped paying the bills for my bank while responsible people pay little. That probably sounds elitist, but you guys are all over "let natural selection take it's course" so this should be an easily understood concept.

It would never happen and if it did it would be the first feature that customer's would complain about. think about it, who wants to be embarrassed at the check out line by being denied. not to mention financial insitution's make money. If they see a opportunity to do so they will do it.

When I used to basically drink myself stupid every night, I'd go into over draft like crazy it would seem like, $35 everytime you do it sucks. To be honest, use their ONLINE banking. It is always the most up to date, versus calling the 1800 line for balance info. The Powell manager told me, she said they update it almost every 5 minutes or something crazy, it's almost real time.

Overdraft protection FTW:-)

Okay you know Julie handles this sort of thing daily at the branch she works at. She tells me about people getting $900 bucks in fees all because of a late night craving for wendys. Its sick what banks do to people and from what I can tell her banks computer system messes with people on purpose (or at least its not designed to be customer friendly even a little.)

Her 5/3rd branch pulls in $30,000 - $40,000 per month in overdraft and other penalty based fees. That is people who's accounts are attached to her branch.

Evan

That might work. Still have her sign you up for overdraft protection. 5/3 doesn't mention it until your already in the whole. Of course it doesn't stop you from going in the whole, but it does give you 30 days to get back out (with some interest charged if not paid by then.)

Yeah you do a good job with your money, but the banks don't make it easy. It would work against their bottom lines.

Actually I checked with Julie and her branch did 40K last month in overdraft fees. I didn't think that was the only fee on that chart, but she confirmed that it was.

Evan

i used Wachovia down in Florida and wish they had them up here. they allowed you up to $200 withdrawal without an overdraft fee if you had enough in your current balance, plus they had free checks/ATM usage and there was no minimum balance for any accounts.

so unlike gay banks like NationalCity where you deposit $500 on Friday and on Saturday you go to find out your current balance might be $500 but your "available" is $000....grrr that makes me so mad.

They just opened one in Reynoldsburg off of SR256.

U should check Chase Privacy Policy, you are not supposed to be speaking about Chase/on behalf of Chase on a public forum. FYI.

Oh snap son.

Is this considered a public forum? Since you have to sign up to see anything?

Wachovia is my bank and I love em so far anywhere I've been on work travel they have been there which is nice not to get hit with the fees.

Anthony their site doesn't say they are in Ohio yet, I'd be curious how often its updated though.

I'm rather pissed off at Chase right now. I overdrafted a couple bucks, but had it back above zero before getting hit with a $64 fee. Ok, that's not terrible, BUT...I overdraft again. Paycheck hits, everything is cool, but then I get hit with a $160 fee, again AFTER I'm back above zero. So now I've got a total of $224 in overdraft fees, for being thirty bucks in the hole for a few days. What's up with that, when my National City checking account charges me $3 a month for overdrafting???

What are the chances of Chase waiving these fees? If they don't, I'm canceling my Chase account this week, after having otherwise been a happy customer for 5 years. I understand charging a couple dollars for going over, but this is crazy.

I had something similar happen about 5 years ago. I was so pissed off I actually WAS going to switch to National City -- this was when Chase was Bank One. I went to my local Bank One and sat down with a guy and told him what happened and that I'd like to withdrawal everything and close the account. He said he could certainly help me with that, but asked if there was any way they could keep my business. I said sure, refund my fees in full. He said done. Haven't had a problem since. ;) Try the same thing -- the worst they can say is no, and then you just dump them for gouging.