Outragious overdraft fees from Chase

copperhead

By the way, I'm an employee. Have been for 6 years. I tried a few times to get them to take back close to $150 in charges. They didn't do shit for me when I called the employee banking line.

I just work here and get a pay check. That's all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if you have to pay to open a Chase checking account?

Pay as in fees? No you shouldn't, just drop the money and they'll send you a debit card when you open a checking account. Get the leisure and rewards if you use your card a lot. Basically can cash the points in for gift certificates and other stuff. 4 points per $1 you spend on your card. I plan on cashing it in by Christmas to take care of gifts :)

• Upvote 1

just food for thought, dont overdraft and you dont have this problem. i have 5/3 and had an issue with paypal. i purchase a car off ebay and payed for it through paypal. it didn't go through the first time, so i thought, so i sent it through 2 other times thinking it didn't go through again. after looking at my paypal and seeing it did go thorough, all 3 times, call paypal and they say there is nothing they can do.

Call my bank that night, this is at about 9:00pm and the note the account. call the bank the next day, tell them what happen, he says not sure i can do anything but i'll look into. (keep it mined after the 3 total withdrawls go through i'm in the hole some 8k. yes 8000.00$) he calls my wife about an hour later and says since you called when it happen we will refund ur money. 204$ i think. thats my only experience with overdraw and i thought that was pretty cool of them.

Pay as in fees? No you shouldn't, just drop the money and they'll send you a debit card when you open a checking account. Get the leisure and rewards if you use your card a lot. Basically can cash the points in for gift certificates and other stuff. 4 points per $1 you spend on your card. I plan on cashing it in by Christmas to take care of gifts :)

Thanks. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

The problem it sound like alot of you are having with fees is related to floating charges. Most banks used to allow you to charge something on your check card then make a deposit (cash, check, or transfer) and you'd be ok as long as the charge didn't post (meaning it was still pending). However, most banks (including Nat City, Chase, Huntington, and 5/3) have reverted back to the VISA/MC card agreement that goes off of "Begining Day Balance". That means that if you didn't have the money in the account the time that your card was swiped, then you will get an OD fee even if you make a cash deposit or check deposit that will post the same night.

Also, for those of you that don't know... banking is one of the industries that is suffering the most from the economy and mortgage/declining home value crisis that we are seeing. Banks are cutting positions and expenses. They are for profit organizations and OD fees are a huge source of income that the banks project in their profit each year. In short, most banks are being more strick with their fee waivers.

~Jennifer

It amazes me that banks are allowed to blindside customers with these ridiculous charges, yet the government goes after payroll advance places which will soon be nomore.

It takes a little while to setup, and a while to get used to, but what I have found to work the best for me is having a checking account, a high yield online savings account, and an american express card. Deposit check into checking account. Transfer most to online savings (keep some in checking for emergency). Money sits in online savings accruing interest. This account also allows you to pay bills online for free. Buy everything with American Express. Make sure you dont spend more than you have and pay off in full every month. You money collected a little intrest through the month, and Amex pays you a rebate every year for your spending, which for me equals almost a grand, and I didnt pay any interest. So they payed me to use the card, and I made some interest on the cash until the statement comes around. i dont know if that made much sence, but it works.

dude chase bank sucks total dick. I was like 20 years old and my mom was putting money in my account here and there just to help me with some bills ect. one day i check my accont and theres 250bucks in there so me thinking that it was from my mom go and spend it. i get a letter from chase 4 months later saying that i owe them 250bucks because they put money into the wrong account. im like that isnt my problem that your bank doesn't know how to run its own company. they tried putting their 250 dollar mistake on my credit history, i had to dispute it. Im not paying them for their own fuckup. So in short...Fuck Chase!

Guest mrhobbz
dude chase bank sucks total dick. I was like 20 years old and my mom was putting money in my account here and there just to help me with some bills ect. one day i check my accont and theres 250bucks in there so me thinking that it was from my mom go and spend it. i get a letter from chase 4 months later saying that i owe them 250bucks because they put money into the wrong account. im like that isnt my problem that your bank doesn't know how to run its own company. they tried putting their 250 dollar mistake on my credit history, i had to dispute it. Im not paying them for their own fuckup. So in short...Fuck Chase!

Reading that gave me a headache...

if you fight it hard enough, it will be at least cut in half. get on the phone, and dont stop there get in your branch.

Ur besty bet is to go to ur branch...if ur willing to make some form of payment they will work with u

I recently over drew my account with usbank on accident....my fault so I payed it

Its in ur serivce agreement the fees it sucks that but its not the banks fault for u spending more money then u had just be careful guys

• 3 weeks later...
If you just go into your bank and talk with someone, they almost always will take care of anything. Chase has always taken care of anything that I have had an issue with.

I'll say this much, every time I've ever gone into my Chase branch they've done everythign possible to help me out. when a banker noticed a BS 10$ fee she corrected it, refunded the money and fixed the problem.

On top of that, in a different situation, a banker took the time to explain online bill pay and helped me set it up to pay my eclipse car payment for which my loan is through Telhio. In addition to other products I might be interested in.

A side note, Chase online bill pay is the easiest fucking thing I've ever done and cant believe I never tried it before. I dont know if every bank has it but its kickass.