Chevy Volt is a go

Guest 614Streets

Anyone know what it would cost to fully charge that thing everyday? Yes, I know that it may charge itself as you drive, I just want to know what this cost this adds to your electric bill. Also, what the yearly maintenance $amount on average for this car will be. Guess I'm curious to see just what the offset financially would be without considering the obvious benefits like lower pollution and less dependency on gasoline.

They need to do this, but with a full-size truck.

All electric with good power, and a small diesel used only as a generator (when needed).

With a truck, weight isn't nearly as much of an issue. Give it a 100 mile range, and that generator will only run when using it for long trips.

This is where GM needs to go. Their biggest market is trucks. People still want trucks/SUV's, but don't want to pay for the fuel. Fix that issue, and they won't be able to sell enough of them.

I saw report somewhere that said it would average $.80 to fully charge the Volt if the battery was completely drained. Not sure of the exact details, but I think they said you could drive 40 miles on a full charge with zero use of gas. About $.02 per mile.

That would be cool for me as I only drive about 17 miles per day round trip, thus I could pretty much save my gas for the weekend and spend less than $150 in electricity for the year. :eek:

Too bad they aren't looking at Panasonic for the batteries. Being biased because I used to work for them. Prolly because they are close partners with Toyota and there may be an agreement in place. I'll have to check. I know they've had the plug in Prius up and running and testing with the newer batteries for a few months now.

Anyone know what it would cost to fully charge that thing everyday? Yes, I know that it may charge itself as you drive, I just want to know what this cost this adds to your electric bill. Also, what the yearly maintenance $amount on average for this car will be. Guess I'm curious to see just what the offset financially would be without considering the obvious benefits like lower pollution and less dependency on gasoline.

Anybody catch the news the other night, There's a 3 wheel vehicle called the Aptera that is about to go on the market in 2-3 months that gets 300 Miles to the Gallon, 10 Gallon Tank, You can drive from New York to LA on one 10 Gal Tank of Gas. Price: $26,900 and $29,900.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/10/apteras-300-mpg-car-available-for-pre-order/

http://www.aptera.com/

Anybody catch the news the other night, Theres a 3 wheel vehicle called the Aptera that is about to go on the market in 2-3 months that gets 300 Miles to the Gallon, 10 Gallon Tank, You can drive from New York to LA on one 10 Gal Tank of Gas. Price: $26,900 and $29,900.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/10/apteras-300-mpg-car-available-for-pre-order/

http://www.aptera.com/

Good luck passing government crash tests.

pdqgp - Supposedly the chemistry of the A123 Systems battery is much more stable than other LiIon batteries out there.

Good luck passing government crash tests.

Doesn't have to, it is titled as a Motorcycle. :)

Based on our wheel layout and our weight,

the Aptera Typ-1 is registered as a motorcyle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In fact, Aptera is a motorcycle manufacturer registered with DOT and CA DMV. This means, among other things, that we are able to issue VIN's. Our 'world identifier number' is '5WT', so all of our VIN's begin with '5WT'. Knowing the public perception of motorcycle safety, we made the decision to make safety a fundamental part of the design of our vehicles. For example, the Typ-1 roof is designed to EXCEED rollover strength requirements spelled out in FMVSS 216 for passenger vehicles. The doors EXCEED the strength requirement spelled out in FMVSS 214. We decided not just to meet many of the specs for passenger vehicles, which are set above and beyond the requirements for motorcycles, but we chose to exceed them whenever possible. Just a few of the many parts of the safety systems on the Typ-1 are airbag-in seatbelt technology, a front subframe and a firewall that redirect energy around the occupants.

from what I've read, the volt will cost between $30,000 & $40,000 and thats dependant on whether or not GM gets the tax breaks its begging for. It won't really be worth it for the average person at first, especially when a prius starts at around $21,000

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/26/gm-looking-for-volt-tax-break-to-bring-cost-below-40k/

Guest 614Streets
from what I've read, the volt will cost between $30,000 & $40,000 and thats dependant on whether or not GM gets the tax breaks its begging for. It won't really be worth it for the average person at first, especially when a prius starts at around $21,000

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/26/gm-looking-for-volt-tax-break-to-bring-cost-below-40k/

But The CEO at Chevy wants it under 30,000. If the public can get press our senators to pass bill HR5351 then the needed government tax credits will aloow a good initial cost.

Guest 614Streets

Grab your latest electric bill and do some math using the numbers below???

http://gm-volt.com/chevy-volt-reaso...t-of-operation/

Now we can see a national index for 2007 average KWH is 10.65 cents.

Now my latest AEP charges on my bill indicated as of 5.7 cents per KWH.

With the 2010 chevy volt , you use 8kwh per 40 miles.

Now with the Volt we can drive a full 40 miles on a fullcharge before its 1.0 gasoline recharge motor needs to kick in.

40 mile = 8kwh usage 8kwh x 5.7 cents = 45.6 cents Raw kwh per 40 mile range with the volt.

Not sure what the average mpg of all combined cars in the united states is but even with the higher current gasoline mpg cars available , non are anywhere near 45.6 cents per 40 mile operating costs.

After 40 miles operation costs rise.

"After the first 40 miles, the combustion engine generator will kick in. This will keep the battery at a 30% state of charge. This 3-cylinder 1L engine will get 50 mpg fuel efficiency. To calculate the fuel efficiency for drives longer than 40 miles use the following formula: Total MPG = 55*M/(M-40)"

Guest 614Streets
$138 per 12000 miles electric , versus gas using a 30 mpg average is $1600 per 12k miles using a $ per gallon figure, double check my numbers please my ears smoke when I do math.

Doesn't have to, it is titled as a Motorcycle. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 3-wheeled vehicle loophole. I'll believe Aptera's claims after I see the test results. There's virtually no crumple zones to absorb an impact. Hell, even a Smart car has more energy absorbing material in the body. In an accident the forces on your body will be much higher. The entire interior had better fill with airbags.

But The CEO at Chevy wants it under 30,000. If the public can get press our senators to pass bill HR5351 then the needed government tax credits will aloow a good initial cost.

he wont get it under 30,000, especially if they want to build it in detroit. IIRC though, the prius used to be more like $30-35k, and its dropped dramatically since then. I hope the volt will get picked up as the new 'cool hybrid' and the price will fall.

Guest schnitzelwagen
last i heard is that it will be FWD and its platform will also be the basis for the next gen cobalt. i cant imagine this thing is going to be cheap. i also heard gm is going to market it as a sports type car but i dont know how that is gonna work with its current acceleration figures. we had an EV1 come into our shop for an alignment a while ago and that thing was actually kinda fast. what we really need is an electric car that cna be pluged in for an hr and have range of 200 miles, but we are still pretty far away from technology

we had an EV1 come into our shop for an alignment a while ago and that thing was actually kinda fast. what we really need is an electric car that cna be pluged in for an hr and have range of 200 miles, but we are still pretty far away from technology

I thought they weren't allowed to be reactivated and put back on the roads. Unless this was 4 years ago.