Bmw Gina

thorne

That's one of the most unique applications of modern technology to a car that I have ever seen in my life.

I dig it. A lot.

Only drawback in my mind would be the replacement cost for torn/worn out panels. I would imagine it's a lot of money...

That is sweet. I'm glad they showed the way the headlights worked. It's almost organic.

However, it's not for the public, but only to open the minds of designers and engineers. Saying that, any damage to the skin would be cheap on labor as it only takes about 2hrs to reskin the car. I am curious how tough the material is, ie; how would it handle bugs, rocks, people leaning on it or rubbing up against it? (I'd rub up against it. :p ) Will it always go back to shape or after awhile would it need botox? Again, none of the answer to these questions is important at this time, but I am curious just the same.

Guest Zerolift Autolab
BMW has had some pretty wild engineering lately - anyone seen the Carbon Fiber roof on the new M6 up close ? Thing is pretty wild.

Guest schnitzelwagen
as far as accidents go, the body panels dont save you, the frame does, so a production car would probably crash just fine just be wrinkly, the car looked like it had several sections of skin on it so it wouldn't need to be completely re skinned. the big question is how well will paint work on it.

as far as accidents go, the body panels dont save you, the frame does, so a production car would probably crash just fine just be wrinkly, the car looked like it had several sections of skin on it so it wouldn't need to be completely re skinned. the big question is how well will paint work on it.

Wouldn't be painted at all I bet, The fabric would be dyed before application. If you wanted to change the color of your car, it would take 2 hours :)

This is a totally do-able idea. Wouldn't even need to have all the fancy moving parts. I love it.

How well does the skin hold up to air pressure?

What about someone deciding to go at your car with a box cutter?

It looks awesome, and I love the idea.. I just think it won't be practical. :( Which is too bad, because I'd love to have a car like that.

No more fender-benders if your fenders bend. ;)

How well does the skin hold up to air pressure?

What about someone deciding to go at your car with a box cutter?

It looks awesome, and I love the idea.. I just think it won't be practical. :( Which is too bad, because I'd love to have a car like that.

No more fender-benders if your fenders bend. ;)

what if someone goes at your paint with a box cutter? you have to repaint your whole car, which isnt cheap and takes way more than two hours. With this you would just replace the fabric, which probably still isnt cheap but atleast its quick and easy.