Computer Geek Question

Drewhop

Ok i know enough about computers to handle the basics. I can also handle little bit of advanced stuff.

Here is background

I have a belkin (random junk router) hooked up with wireless access. The router is 2.4 Ghz and my home cordless phone is 2.4 ghz.

We have 3 home computers running off of it then have password protocted wireless for my brothers IPhone.

Now i can understand that if he is using the Iphone on wireless connection that he might lose connection with the wireless. But I lose interenet connection on all of my computers whenever i recieve a phone call.

I currently have Time Warner Cable package for Digital Phone/Roadrunner/Cable TV.

So why is my cordless crashing the whole router when it should only effect the wireless. What am I missing or dont understand.

There fighting each other for frequency, the phones more powerful bottom line, so you get booted. Try changing the channel on the router, should be channel's 1 - 12, until you get one where this doesnt happen.

truth +1

or you could also ditch the 2.4ghz phones and just get either 5.8 or 6.0

So even tho the home pcs are hardwired to the router the one wireless signal will drop all of them i guess that is what is confusing me. I plan on going to buy a 5.8 phone i just dont understand it i guess lol.

Either change the channel of the wireless router, disable the wireless part of the router and run wires to your computers, get better cordless phones.

All of my home pcs are hardwired already.

I know how to solve the problem.

I just dont understand why it stops MY HARDWIRED CONNECTIONS when a wireless signal is operated

i had a netgear 2.4ghz wireless... 2.4ghz fones, and a iphone. i never loose connection. Changing channels wont do anything. that is just for wireless connections. I would make sure you have the latest firmware updates on your router. only real things that it could be is router needing firmware updates, or timer warner cable box is bad

call your house and watch the "internet" light on your cable box, see if the light goes out. if not, then turn your wireless off on your router and see what happens.

in case u dont know, u log in to it at http://192.168.1.1

one more thing, is your router wireless? or do u have it on a wireless access point

go here for a firmware upgrade

The signal messes with some routers and cuases them to drop connections, this is a known problem with Belkin routers. I see people return them everyday due to shit like this. Do yourself a favor and go buy a Linksys WRT54G.

All of my home pcs are hardwired already.

I know how to solve the problem.

I just dont understand why it stops MY HARDWIRED CONNECTIONS when a wireless signal is operated

This happens because your router is cheap. Buy a more expensive wireless router. Something in the $100 range would be great. See wireless with 4 port 1gigabit connections as an example.

Ill just buy a cheap 5.8ghz cordless phone and call it a day.

I guess i am just a why type of person. I understand what is causing it i just dont get how it works.

No worries

thx for the input everyone

Ill just buy a cheap 5.8ghz cordless phone and call it a day.

I guess i am just a why type of person. I understand what is causing it i just dont get how it works.

No worries

thx for the input everyone

It is simple to understand but ok you do that :(

It is simple to understand but ok you do that :(

Simply its a junk router. That is the simple version.

What in the programming of the Belkin router would cause it to disconnect. Why would more expensive router not do the same thing if its in the same setting.

If i had a linksys router with 2.4ghz wireless connection would it do the same thing.... if not why?

I understand the simple problem here im just bored at work trying to edcuate myself just a little bit more about things

The signal messes with some routers and cuases them to drop connections, this is a known problem with Belkin routers. I see people return them everyday due to shit like this. Do yourself a favor and go buy a Linksys WRT54G.

Im not spending money so that my brother can move 5 foot from his computer and watch youtube videos on his Iphone rather then sit at his computer and watch youtube videos.

But i have been needing to replace my home phone cause I dont like it. So this gives me a good excuse.

It is a known issue with that brand of router. That is all that should be said about it. Not every router has this issue...

Basically if the phone is sending out a signal that is too powerful it will cause the router to lock up. It is interfering with the radio waves... get an old tv with rabbit ears and set it right next to a microwave. Turn on the microwave full power and watch how it interferes with the tv.

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels in 802.11b/g. 1, 6, 11

If this happens with the router set to either, then you got a problem.

Everyone says 802.11a is a bad protocol, until this happens and they realize they have 13 choices instead of 3.

Anyway, you have a dirty spectrum in your house and since 802.11b/g uses the same freq as your microwave, your phone, baby monitor if you have one (or if the neighbors have any of the same). Either go to 802.11a or 802.11n where you will be avoiding the dirty spectrum by utilizing the a spec.