Texas man cleared of shooting suspected burglars

Pedro1647545510

I expected nothing else. In Texas, property is a BIG deal. Unless it's changed, if you have a sign warning trespassers at every entrance to your property and every so many feet along your property line and someone trespasses, you are allowed to defend your family and livestock/pets if you feel they are "threatened". This, of course, leaves alot of territory to shoot someone legally.

I don't agree with what he did....

I don't think I do either, however, I think under texas law, a person is justified using deadly force to protect property. i could be wrong though, it's been known to happen.

Texas is crazy. I saw a car repo show where the guy that got repo'd got in another vehicle and followed the tow truck shooting at them. The cops finally pulled them both over and let everybody go.

I cant say I would have killed them, personally, I probably would have just disabled them by nailing them in the legs or something.

I don't feel sorry for them, though.

I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Don't shoot a person to wound them. If you shoot'em, make sure they're dead.

I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again. Don't shoot a person to wound them. If you shoot'em, make sure they're dead.

You are 100% correct. :cool:

I don't care if they are stealing a dollar or a tv from me, they will gain 5lbs in lead rather quickly.

And if you have to drag em inside :) Hell he just saved some tax payers money on top of that. The arresting police, the booking, jail time, feeding them, and clothing them. Hell he saved them loads with only spending maybe $2 on 00 Buck.

And if you have to drag em inside :) Hell he just saved some tax payers money on top of that. The arresting police, the booking, jail time, feeding them, and clothing them. Hell he saved them loads with only spending maybe $2 on 00 Buck.

Not to mention god knows how much per year for incarceration! Shooting theives really helps our economy! :D

I don't agree that deadly force should have been used. I can buy material objects again, but I sure as hell couldn't wipe my conscious of killing two men for stealing something of mine.

Maybe it will make you feel better to think that next time, they might break into a house during the day and kill/rape some innocent women an children.

You would be doing the world a favor honestly.:(

Maybe it will make you feel better to think that next time, they might break into a house during the day and kill/rape some innocent women an children.

You would be doing the world a favor honestly.:(

Stretching petty house thieves to participants in murder and rape is a bit media like.

If you have time to argue with the operator about gun laws while not getting shot at / engaged / approached -- your life is not at risk. period.

'nuff said. Justified in my book and the world is better without them. Before that though, I agree with what he did. We need to have way more harsh penalties for the bad guys.

"The two suspected burglars, Hernando Riascos Torres, 38, and Diego Ortiz, 30, were unemployed illegal immigrants from Colombia. Torres was deported to Colombia in 1999 after a 1994 cocaine-related conviction."

Stretching petty house thieves to participants in murder and rape is a bit media like.

Exactly. A petty thief is not a rapist. If I found someone raping my sister, their ass is getting 2 in the melon. Someone stealing something material is not murder-worthy.

I think anyone would agree the deceased made poor choices and didn't contribute to society - but that's not that issue at hand; nor would anyone oppose harsher sentences for criminals, which again, not the underlying issue here.

He was ordered not to shoot, he willingly did, from the sounds of it, knowingly expecting casualties. If you can't aim 00 buckshot at 15 ft towards a man's lower torso - you shouldn't be holding the shotgun in the first place.

I would like to know how an undercover or uniformed Police officer would have handled the situation put in a similar spot.

From CBS:

Dispatcher: "I got ultras coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house. And I don't want you to have that gun in your hand when those officers are poking around out there."

Horn: "I understand that, OK, but I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the First and you know it and I know it."

Dispatcher: "I understand."

Horn: "I have a right to protect myself ..."

Dispatcher: "I'm ..."

Horn: "And a shotgun is a legal weapon, it's not an illegal weapon."

Dispatcher: "No, it's not, I'm not saying that, I'm just not wanting you to ..."

Horn: "OK, he's coming out the window right now, I gotta go, buddy. I'm sorry, but he's coming out the window. "

Dispatcher: "No, don't, don't go out the door, Mister Horn. Mister Horn..."

Horn: "They just stole something, I'm going out to look for 'em, I'm sorry, I ain't letting them get away with this ----. They stole something, they got a bag of stuff. I'm doing it!"

Dispatcher: "Mister, do not go outside the house."

Horn: "I'm sorry, this ain't right, buddy."

Dispatcher: "You gonna get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun, I don't care what you think."

Horn: "You wanna make a bet?"

Dispatcher: "Stay in the house."

Horn: "There, one of them's getting away!

Dispatcher: "That's alright, property's not something worth killing someone over. OK? Don't go out the house, don't be shooting nobody. I know you're pissed and you're frustrated but don't do it."

Horn: "They got a bag of loot."

Dispatcher: "OK. How big is the bag?" He then talks off, relaying the information.

Dispatcher: "Which way are they going?"

Horn: "I can't ... I'm going outside. I'll find out."

Dispatcher: "I don't want you going outside, Mister..."

Horn: "Well, here it goes buddy, you hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going."

Dispatcher: "Don't go outside."On the tape of the 911 call, the shotgun can be heard being cocked and Horn can be heard going outside and confronting someone.

"Boom! You're dead!" he shouts. A loud bang is heard, then a shotgun being cocked and fired again, and then again.

Then Horn is back on the phone:"Get the law over here quick. I've now, get, one of them's in the front yard over there, he's down, he almost run down the street. I had no choice. They came in the front yard with me, man, I had no choice! ... Get somebody over here quick, man."

Dispatcher: "Mister Horn, are you out there right now?"

Horn: "No, I am inside the house, I went back in the house. Man, they come right in my yard, I didn't know what the --- they was gonna do, I shot 'em, OK?"

That has to make you wonder...

Yes you do, you're just mad you weren't able to throw 230 grain .45ACP goodness at them. :p

As much as I want to see what they do to flesh.....Had it been me, I probably would have shot them, too.....BUT...he was instructed to keep his ass IN the house. Yeah maybe they came onto his land, but had he did what he was told this would not have been an issue. If there was no 911 call and he just ran into the burglars and killed them....fine, but...

NOTE: I am not defending criminals, BUT this guy was instructed to do something and he did the opposite!

"Don't go outside the house," the 911 operator pleaded. "You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun. I don't care what you think."

After the shooting, he redialed 911.

"I had no choice," he said, his voice shaking. "They came in the front yard with me, man. I had no choice. Get somebody over here quick."

See....he had a choice....Do what you WERE TOLD. Stay IN THE HOUSE!!! That's what I dont agree with. His old ass was looking to kill a bitch.