xbox 360 back from the dead... AGAIN

87GT

I don't know how many more times I can fix it. My setup is so wrong at this point.

I have completely removed all of the metal casing on my xbox. The motherboard is sitting on my TV stand with all the components hooked up to it. It played GTA4 for an hour without dying or overheating so FUCK IT.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the horror stories of the 360's. A friend of mine is the only one Ive heard of that hasnt had problems besides scratching a few games from it falling over. With that kind of ratio is why im going with a ps3

If you get the newer "elite" 360 you will be fine. This just happens with the first few they made...

Ive had 3 issues:

1. The first one I bought wouldnt even fire up. Instant red ring of death. I took it back and they (Walmart) were happy to give me a brand new one.

2. I bought a used version of Forza 2 and when I played it, the game worked fine untill i played the Sebring track. It would be fine, then the road would disappear and the game would just lock up. I returned it and they (GameStop @ georgesville sq) were happy to give me a new (used) one.

3. While playing GT4, Ive noticed that when you drive really fast, sometimes the streets lose texture for a split second and then its fine. Its not a big deal, but it does kinda of fuck with your sences. After messing around on the game for a while, i noticed it really only happens in 4 specific spots, so i think its a game issue, not a consel issue.

Ive had 3 issues:

1. The first one I bought wouldnt even fire up. Instant red ring of death. I took it back and they (Walmart) were happy to give me a brand new one.

This is easily explained. Wal-mart is (or at least was) notorious for allowing returns of 360 hardware with no questions and no inspections. You probably got a RROD return from someone out of warranty that they reshelved.

Why is it that someone should have to buy the 'elite' version in order to get one that isn't a piece of crap? MS had such a good thing going when they got the jump on sony, and now they are erasing all that with the ill will of pissed off RROD owners. Apparently the console wars will be waged long into the future.

Why is it that someone should have to buy the 'elite' version in order to get one that isn't a piece of crap? MS had such a good thing going when they got the jump on sony, and now they are erasing all that with the ill will of pissed off RROD owners. Apparently the console wars will be waged long into the future.

It's not just the Elite versions, it's every 360 made now. They all come with new heatsinks, fans, processors and better cooling process.

This is easily explained. Wal-mart is (or at least was) notorious for allowing returns of 360 hardware with no questions and no inspections. You probably got a RROD return from someone out of warranty that they reshelved.

The elite version and everyone made after them have a different heatsink design. I will take pictures of my motherboard soon. They made this thing called and "X-Clamp". Well when it gets warm it warps real easy. Then the CPU/GPU chips are not seeded correctly. This is 1 of the major reasons of RRoD. The chip isn't in the slot all the way.

My x-clamp fix was to remove the clamp and go buy a certain size of machine screws with nylon washers. I screwed the heatsink down with these thus my processor isn't popping out of the slot. Every now and then I have to tighten the screws down again because they come loose.

It is just a worthless design flaw that was fixed with the elite and later versions. This is what happens when you rush to release a console before another one comes up. You make shit designs. I would of rather wait and had the 360 launch with the ps3.

As requested here is what it looks like. See the screws in the back of the motherboard? That is the cheap way on how you fix the RRoD. Towel work does more damage then good.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/xbox%20360/DSCN1091.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/xbox%20360/DSCN1092.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/xbox%20360/DSCN1093.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/xbox%20360/DSCN1094.jpg

It appears that the elite's are having the same issues.

http://loot-ninja.com/2007/04/29/xbox-360-elite-prone-to-same-problems-as-others

I luckily have not had issues with mine and it has seen it's share of playtime, especially CoD4 online.

That article is pretty weak. Show me the consoles or even better explain why they are overheating.

I built an extreme cooling solution for mine lol

Ive had it since beginning of winter and no problems. When I DO play, Ill sit down for 5-8hours at a time non stop and play. The sides of the case stay cool like its never been turned on.

I have a plexiglass stand with 2 80mm fans underneath the 360 and 2 120mm fans out back sucking out air. The air out the back is noticably warmer from the time you turn on the 360.. to the time you start playing and things warm up. Cost me about $85 bucks to make though. Steep yes, however if it keeps me from going RROD Ill take it.

Ive had it since beginning of winter and no problems. When I DO play, Ill sit down for 5-8hours at a time non stop and play. The sides of the case stay cool like its never been turned on.

I have a plexiglass stand with 2 80mm fans underneath the 360 and 2 120mm fans out back sucking out air. The air out the back is noticably warmer from the time you turn on the 360.. to the time you start playing and things warm up. Cost me about $85 bucks to make though. Steep yes, however if it keeps me from going RROD Ill take it.

i built similar for mine.

the intercooler gets are junk. and actually burn shit up on the back.. and void your warranty when you use them. nto to mention the rob power from the xbox itself.

I am curious what this looks like... Could you post a picture?