Take a guess at what this is...

SPLN SUX

Im trying to figure out what this part is... its nothing complicated, no moving parts... it just sits inline with the fuel line... any ideas? Im thinking its causeing my fuel clog and is the reason im misfiring so bad under high load.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/mrmeanr/DSC00092.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/mrmeanr/DSC00091.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/mrmeanr/DSC00090.jpg

nope, no Vac... fuel just runs through it...

Either way, im getting lean codes and im getting nasty missfires above 10psi when i get over 60 or 70% throttle... its not the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel rail, FPR, or injectors, ive inspected, tested, or replaced all that stuff... that little jigger is the only thing left...

Noone seems to know what it is, but ive seen it in a couple other Volvos so I know its stock. They were only on the 03 cars appearntly... but no other S/V40 has em... im about to just take it out and run a brass fitting there and see what happens.

Fuel pulsation dampener. Looks very similar to an FD one. Does it have a little rubber nipple in the depression on the top?

If it is a FPD, I doubt that it has anything to do with your problem.

Nope, no other nipples on it... just the in and the out. if its not that i dont know what the problem is then... theres nothing else left to fix!

Fuel pulsation dampener, they don't work. never really did work and even GM got rid of them after many years.

They're back on certain applications, namely anything direct injection.

Looks to me like it's a damping champer too. Everytime your injectors open and close they cause a pulse to go through the rail. Rubber hoses and return lines help to damp out the pulses. Some cars have an additional damping chamber in line before the fuel rail.

They're back on certain applications, namely anything direct injection.

Looks to me like it's a damping champer too. Everytime your injectors open and close they cause a pulse to go through the rail. Rubber hoses and return lines help to damp out the pulses. Some cars have an additional damping chamber in line before the fuel rail.

thats a little bit different though because of the high pressure you are working with. on a normal system you, the car, the fuel pump or injectors will never know its not there.

thats a little bit different though because of the high pressure you are working with. on a normal system you, the car, the fuel pump or injectors will never know its not there.

Well under some test condition it was deemed necessary or else an OEM would not pay to put it on the car.

Weather the driver will ever notice it being removed is probably a very, very small possibility. But the pulses in the rail caused by the injectors opening and closing are thoroughly investigated before going to production, including computer modeling. Companies go crazy over a couple cents savings per car, so the cost of the damping chamber would have to be justified due to some observed condition, IMO. The Cobalt SS/SC has one too (forced induction, port injection, returnless rail).

I wonder why they would only be on certian vehicals though? I mean inside of one specific model... None of the Phase1's have it, and only 1 year of the phase2's have it, no other Volvo cars have it... all returnless rails, all port injection, all high pressure systems, and most of them turbo...

Its just got me confused. I dont know what my fuel problem could be then. i havent replaced the pump, but if it wasnt working, the car wouldnt run... I just replaced the injectors, the filters, inspected the rail and FPR found no defaults, replaced the FPR vacuum line, no dice... Im dead set on this being a fuel issue... i dont know how it could be an air or spark issue if im getting lean codes here and there... the misfire codes are more abundant, but its only when you need lots of fuel... and maybe an occasional blip at idel. I guess ill have to replace EVERYTHING untill i figure it out because noone knows whats wrong with it.

Well under some test condition it was deemed necessary or else an OEM would not pay to put it on the car.

Weather the driver will ever notice it being removed is probably a very, very small possibility. But the pulses in the rail caused by the injectors opening and closing are thoroughly investigated before going to production, including computer modeling. Companies go crazy over a couple cents savings per car, so the cost of the damping chamber would have to be justified due to some observed condition, IMO. The Cobalt SS/SC has one too (forced induction, port injection, returnless rail).

but they stoped putting it on the trucks and vettes. even the LS9 doesn't have one and its FI, returnless rail port injection.

Guest GMoney
I wonder why they would only be on certian vehicals though? I mean inside of one specific model... None of the Phase1's have it, and only 1 year of the phase2's have it, no other Volvo cars have it... all returnless rails, all port injection, all high pressure systems, and most of them turbo...

Its just got me confused. I dont know what my fuel problem could be then. i havent replaced the pump, but if it wasnt working, the car wouldnt run... I just replaced the injectors, the filters, inspected the rail and FPR found no defaults, replaced the FPR vacuum line, no dice... Im dead set on this being a fuel issue... i dont know how it could be an air or spark issue if im getting lean codes here and there... the misfire codes are more abundant, but its only when you need lots of fuel... and maybe an occasional blip at idel. I guess ill have to replace EVERYTHING untill i figure it out because noone knows whats wrong with it.

You have replaced alot of stuff not to check the fuel pressure... it still could be a pump.

+1 you need to check the pressure with the car loaded up and at whatever boost it goes lean....

what is stock boost on a volvo? 5-6psi you might be out of injector

Stck boost is supposed to be 8.5psi on S40s, but the T4s run 10. Mine has always run 10 since ive had it... but now it runs about 6. I know the turbo is on its last leg so its going to be replaced with a garrett in the near future, but this crap started before the turbo started going out.

No, im not out of injector... out of tune, but not out of injector. I dynoed twice, once at Brinas, and the oter at IPS, and didnt have any problems.

These injectors are 420's stock, good for an easy 300hp... im making 200. This began one day last summer when I was on my way to work. I got on the interstate hard, everything was fine. Drove 3 miles to the next ramp and got off the exit. After sitting at the light, i made my left turn and got into it hard. It immediatly started breaking up so i backed off. i put it back on stock boost and it was fine. Left it that way for a long time, no big deal. Turned it up about 3 months later just to see... and it was still doing the same thing. Put it back on stock boost.

So after reading a couple threads about other S40s having issues, i found someone else that had the same issue. But thier issue is due to a Phase 1 pump defect. They use a off brand pump, and theres a very short pickup tube on the bottom of the pump so if you have less than 3/4 of a tank, under high load in 4th and 5th gear the engine stumbles. The phase 2 cars have a Walbro 190 pump and dont have this issue.

I was going to put a 255 on it a couple months ago, but decided to wait untill i put the bigger turbo on the car, and do it at the same time. Ill have to go ahead and do it when i get out to CO. It could be as simple as the pump filter being clogged but i dont see there being much there if the FPR was spotless.