mechanics - look here to make some $

evan9381

my dad's g/f has a 2000 explorer. apparently it needs a new (rebuilt would be best) power steering assembly, and some bearing...he took it to his friends shop, but doesnt want to pay the ~700$ he's talking.

so he asked me to see if anyone here wants to do it on the side. if you know where to look for the parts and can give me a price on those, as well as an amount for time/labor to you, so i can relay it back to him, id appreciate it

heres the email i got from him

2000 Ford Explorer

Sport Utility 4x4, 2 door

4 liter - V6

Got any friends in this area? Mike said $700...that tells me the real number is more like $300. Rebuilt parts are OK, but she'd like the option to choose based on price.

Guest Removed
he said something about a bearing as well...is that going to be part of the assembly or another part he needs to get?

what bearing? wheel bearing? hub bearing? theres only about 40 or so different bearings it could be. and when you said bearing is what made me think steering box. cause they have bearings in them. but being a 2000 it should have a rack.

Guest Removed

all the bearings in the steering are inside the rack!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/84861050.gif

so find out what bearing he is talking about.and just why does the rack need replaced?