Looking to get Geo-Thermal

Akula

I have Geo thermal in my house and it was one of the best investments ever. My house is over 11 years old. My builder installed it. I had a check up recently by Geo Force outside Plain City. They are a Water Furnace dealer and know their stuff. My Geo thermal is a Tetco brand and we are very happy with it. My system paid for itself within the first 5 years(compared to propane)

• 1 month later...

Here is the luck I have had on this.

Geo-Source One - finally got someone to come out and give me a quote, after setting several appointments and no-shows.

Jon's Plumbing - told several times they would come out to quote, no-show/call. Finally they call me to ask where I live and tell me it is not cost effective to work at my house.

There was one other place, they came out and did a 3 hour look around and told me they would get back to me *crickets*. That was 4 months ago.

I think it is strange that this technology is so good and reduces my carbon footprint, not to mention my heating bills, I have told each company that I have a budget and explained my situation yet only one company wants to install this.

I want to compare a little bit with someone, I don't want a single quote.

So, think Electric heat pump. It "draws heat" from the air. But if your air is 30 degrees there isn't much heat.

Dig 4 feet down into the earth and the ground temp is 60ish degrees, year round. So, now my electric heat pump is drawing from a constant 60 degrees and it runs extremely efficiently.

http://tristate.apogee.net/geo/gohow.asp

I am doing a closed horizontal loop.

Here is the luck I have had on this.

Jon's Plumbing - told several times they would come out to quote, no-show/call. Finally they call me to ask where I live and tell me it is not cost effective to work at my house.

Did you talk to Jon personally or his wife Candy?

• 4 months later...

Ok, in the event anyone cares. I did finally get my geothermal system installed.

4 150' trenches in my back yard, slinky coil horizontal loop. Water Furnace and desuper heater (desuper heater makes hot water). No more propane for my furnace, and no need for my propane water heater to run unless I use all the heat in the system.

The installer said we should have the capacity to run up to 6000 square feet of home heat.

Ok, in the event anyone cares. I did finally get my geothermal system installed.

4 150' trenches in my back yard, slinky coil horizontal loop. Water Furnace and desuper heater (desuper heater makes hot water). No more propane for my furnace, and no need for my propane water heater to run unless I use all the heat in the system.

The installer said we should have the capacity to run up to 6000 square feet of home heat.

Nice. Who did you select to do the work?

So some comments. It costs me $800/5weeks to heat in the winter. I have a neighbor with the exact same house that pays $120/month for electric and is on geo-thermal. Thus, the ROI is much shorter and since Propane isn't getting cheaper....

I have 3 acres of land and plenty of room for a slinky-coil rather than doing wells. so I don't have to recirc vertically or pump and dump.

I got a 3600sq ft house all electric and it costs me under 200 per month in winter and no geothermal.

Welcome to the geo thermal club. I am not familiar with the desuper heater. My geo thermal system is tied into the hot water heater. Is this what you are talking about or this an additional piece of equipment?

That is why I have not went for it. I have also been looking at the corn burners, they may be a little easier to manage. My house cost about $300 in the winter. I just moved my office down the road, my gas bill there was $1k/month during the winter. I get tired of send that much money to Columbia Gas.

My buddy just put a corn burner in at his house and loves it.I am going to check it out maybe next weekend.I think it cost him $14k but he will recoup that in under 5 years with what he was paying and his wife said our house is warm now!

The DeSuper heater preheats the water going into the water heater. The thing is, it preheats the water to a higher temp than the tank is set to so my water heater never has to run.

So far, so good. House is warm, not burning propane, I am digging it.