Once again lt1 issues (time to burn it!)

Reed44

Bottom would be great if you have access to a lift. Without a lift, you just need a partner or an engine leveler. A guy sitting on the windshield guiding the engine with his feet works best in my experience.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring it out the top. If you have a hoist your fine. I just jack up the rear to get the driveshaft out and then jack up the front and put it high on jackstands to take the tranny out. I have done our Lt1 in 3-4 hours while taking my time and I still use the hoist with only 10ft ceilings. I might have an extra set of bearings laying around. I will try to get out to the garage to check in the next couple days. If you have any questions on taking that thing out let me know, I have done it over a dozen times and that was just on one car.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showt...+engine+bottom

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

These are making me want to do it from the bottom. I havent decided yet. I wish I could find a write up on how to do it from the top like I found here. What was the worst part about doing it from the top?

The cam makes the power up there and the valve train that it has is supposed to handle it also. Apparently the bottom end didnt though. Its getting set back to 6k.

I've heard that this is relatively common with people running the CC306. I think that's why I went with the CC503...

The clearance.

Google "happy hooker", which is an attachment for an engine hoist that makes removing the LT1 from the top a piece of cake.

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=pht20020701ch

This right here. So do you sugest going from the top or bottom? How difficult is it to unbolt the trans?

If you have a leveler on the hoist it won't be that hard. Hell if you want practice you can come take the motor out of the formula for me. It has to come out yet again due to a cracked block. The biggest thing in my opinion is making sure all of the wires are plugs are not still attached but that is regardless of out the bottom or the top. I have no desire to take one out of the bottom.

When you drop the tranny mount and let the trans sag a little bit there is just enough room for a swivel. Thats why I say wrap it in electrical tape, becuase it is easiest to lay behind the tailshaft and use the extension for all the work. If you dont have one it is no big deal you can still get them with little effort.

No drop the crossmember and put a jack under the tranny to move it up and down for retrieval and install. I think one of the most PIA part of the engine removal is getting that tranny back in some times. I have had it slide in within 30 seconds and I have spent an hour just getting the input shaft into the pilot bearing.

Lol, I am. Especiallyy since I just got the car a few weeks ago and it decides to spin a bearing. I like having a plan all ready to go and I gett getting tied up between the bottom or the top. Camaroz28.com says bottom and you guys say top, I know the people on here so I want to go from the top now. It seems real intimidating, like I dont know where to start and usually I can find alot of info on doing things on my cars and I have been having trouble getting info with this piece. I dont know yet when I am doing it. I am trailering it home from cleveland thursday after school and depending on when I get the motor for it (I have one lined up for $400) I will decide. Every two weeks starting this week, I have thursday-sunday off to come home back to columbus and work on this car and my new house. I would greatly apprecaite you throwing in a hand on this project. Thanks.

I know Camaroz28 always stress going from the bottom. It irritates me because I never even care to attempt it. Dont even try to have any type of plan, it will never work out and you will just fuck yourself in the long run. Go into like you are doing it as a hobby, just another night in the garage. I have wed-sat off so I can help some I am sure. I also have a bunch of spare LT1 parts+performance parts laying around. I am thinking there might be another complete motor in there out of an impala. I am not sure. The only thing we would have to do is swap the heads and accessories. I am going to try to get out to the barn and see what is left in there. We have been through so many LT1 parts between both cars that I can't keep track. Let me know when you get it home and I can try to plan some time to come help. We can get it out in one evening as long as everything cooperates.

Sweet. let me know what you find. I am always up to modifing it :) Will you always have those days off? I dont know yet if I am going to work on it this weekend. That would be nice to get it out in one evening. I thought it would be a love story. I am on the west side of columbus so I dont think you are far.