Once again lt1 issues (time to burn it!)

Reed44

Well this thing is something else. Sunday the waterpump went out right before I was heading back up to cleveland to return to school. $190 later and a few hours work I was on my way. I stopped a few miles from my apartment and when I left again I heard this weird sound. My buddy said it was the exhuast but I didnt think so. I stoped poped the hood reved it a little and sure enough sounds like I spun a rod bearing. Its knockin and what not. I am ver pissed at this car. Few questions now. 1. When a rod bearing goes, oil pressure goes up or down, mine is still at 60-80? How hard is it to fix this? How difficult to pull motor? Better from top or drop the cradle?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled the valve covers off and looked at them and wiggled them. They seem to be fine and I even unpluged the coil wire and cranked it to see what was going on. While checking the rockers, what should I be looking for?

The rev limiter is set 1t 6.5 and the shift light is at 6.4. It didnt go past 6.5 before it happened. i did get on it though right before. WIth afetrmarket parst in there it should have handled that rpm, right?

Why in the fuck are you spinning a stock LT1 to 6500?

That's suicide on the motor. No wonder you have metal shavings, you had that bottom end screaming.

The cam makes the power up there and the valve train that it has is supposed to handle it also. Apparently the bottom end didnt though. Its getting set back to 6k.

Out the bottom. FTL!

Find a lift, it's really the only way.

I have heard thats the easiest? Can I get some details please. I have an engine lift but not a in ground car lift which it sounds like you are talking about.

I have heard thats the easiest? Can I get some details please. I have an engine lift but not a in ground car lift which it sounds like you are talking about.

Yes a vehicle lift, not neccisarily an in-groung. You have to remove the wiring, cooling system, exhaust, basically anything that would come off in any other engine removal, and then unbolt the front suspension, trans mount, and k-member, then lift the body off of that assembly leaving it on the ground. Is that what you were wanting to know?

I would bring an LS1 out the top, that's just me though.

You can do that if you want. If I didn't have access to a lift I might have to try it, but I'd have to pass. These 4th gen f-bodys just aren't for the average DIYer.