Its finally here , amazing

Guest 614Streets

It makes you wonder how much intel payed the Gov. for the technology rights from the x-craft...

Edit: I meant sex toys every where REJOICE !

Tesla did it 100 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

But his investors stopped the funding because they couldn't meter it to charge for it.

Correct, I've studied a lot of the stuff Tesla and a few others did. A local guy Thomas Brown was also a name in that era. It starts to get kinda annoying once you know how much we used to know about magnetic and electromagnetic effects, but somehow managed to forget.

The Biefeld–Brown effect (Both guys were local to Licking county) is something that NASA dismissed in the 1950-60's as not viable. Well not viable until a university took another look and found that it did in fact work in the vacuum of space. Then a couple years later NASA suddenly launches DS1 which uses the same technology.

Evan

Correct, I've studied a lot of the stuff Tesla and a few others did. A local guy Thomas Brown was also a name in that era. It starts to get kinda annoying once you know how much we used to know about magnetic and electromagnetic effects, but somehow managed to forget.

The Biefeld–Brown effect (Both guys were local to Licking county) is something that NASA dismissed in the 1950-60's as not viable. Well not viable until a university took another look and found that it did in fact work in the vacuum of space. Then a couple years later NASA suddenly launches DS1 which uses the same technology.

Evan

It all came down to $$$$$$. Same thing with electric cars. Jay Leno has one of the first electric cars, made in 1898 I believe. But there wasn't enough money to be made, so they went the way of gasoline. Same thing happened with wireless electricity. I believe JP Morgan was the original investor in Tesla's work. When he found out there wouldn't be a way to meter and charge for it, he dropped the funding. Its a shame. Tesla also invented neon, florescent lights, radio control, laser, robots, etc.... fyi. I'm a huge Tesla fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8Y93k0pB0

Tesla did it 100 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

But his investors stopped the funding because they couldn't meter it to charge for it.

I thought immediately of Tesla when I read that. Tesla did a bunch of stuff way ahead of his time. He believed the earth was a conductor of acoustical resonance. Genius.

BTW, you'll never see cars powered by this. A magnetic field powerful enough to transmit that kind of power over long range would wreak havoc. This is going to be confined to small area and low-power applications like mobile electronics. Even then, I don't expect it to amount to anything more than a curiosity. Without a way to meter usage, it won't catch on with businesses, which means it won't be common in public places, which means there will be no point to building it in to products.

BTW, you'll never see cars powered by this. A magnetic field powerful enough to transmit that kind of power over long range would wreak havoc. This is going to be confined to small area and low-power applications like mobile electronics. Even then, I don't expect it to amount to anything more than a curiosity. Without a way to meter usage, it won't catch on with businesses, which means it won't be common in public places, which means there will be no point to building it in to products.

About a year ago i read something about how they will have it set up in homes. There will be one device per room (each device covers only a few square feet) that will continuously transmit power, and whatever power isn't being used will go back to the device. Usage can be metered by how much power the device uses.

About a year ago i read something about how they will have it set up in homes. There will be one device per room (each device covers only a few square feet) that will continuously transmit power, and whatever power isn't being used will go back to the device. Usage can be metered by how much power the device uses.

Except that the unused power can't "go back to the device". The magnetic field uses the same amount of power whether it's used or not. So you'd either have to pay a lot of money to transmit power you don't use, or turn the device on and off whenever you use it. How is that more convenient than just plugging stuff in?

Myself, I have the charger for my phone wrapped around my bedside lamp, and I use the phone as an alarm clock, so it's natural just to take five seconds and plug it in.

The only possible apps for this are:

Airports, but the magnetic field strength would have to be EXTENSIVELY tested to make sure it doesn't interfere with any equipment.

Coffee shops, the only eating establishments where computer use is encouraged. And the only reasonable way to make money on it there is by using it to extend the amount of time a user can stay on your pay-for-it WiFi.

The cubicle maze. Ok, yeah, there's a legitimate possibility here. A network of these in an office/cubicle floor would simplify power wiring tremendously, allowing companies with a free-flowing office philosophy(i.e. IT development companies) to further that goal, but only if the company commits to buying a lot of new equipment outfitted with the system. Most offices won't because they already distribute power conventionally. Also, you wouldn't want to have one of these anywhere near your server room.

The drawback here is this, no matter what you do, this system simply can't be as efficient at transmitting power as copper and steel wiring.