Road Racing...

Wonderboy

So I finally went to mid ohio last weekend and it was fucking amazing. Does anybody on here do any road racing? I think that I really want to get into it and Id like to talk to someone that has some experience. And Im also looking for something old and cheap to buy and start building for this purpose. I was thinking maybe an older sentra or an old honda hatch or something. What do you guys think or know about this kinda stuff?

Sadly, this will be a short thread.

You building something to Race or just do DE's lapping events with?...if racing, decide what division and class you want so you don't build something outside of the rules and have to re-do it later.

Personally I'd build something rear drive. Miata, E36, 944 all come to mind as good starting platforms that won't exactly break the bank. If you're buying/building a track-only car there's pleanty of the 3 cars just mentioned for sale all the time that all run in spec. classes and won't run a ton of money for a fully prepped, ready to go car.

Andy

There are a few of us here into road racing. Crossle, craig71188, and myself just crewed for a team at the Longest Day of Nelson 24 hour endurance race this last weekend.

craig71188 is an experienced road racer, and could probably help you out.

I still am not quite sure what class I would want to run. I figured for my first build I should go as cheap as possible just so I can get some experience because Im pretty sure that ill probably wreck or blow up the first one. The closest thing that I have as experience is driving on country back roads and shit. I have ALOT to learn about racing on a track.

I still am not quite sure what class I would want to run. I figured for my first build I should go as cheap as possible just so I can get some experience because Im pretty sure that ill probably wreck or blow up the first one. The closest thing that I have as experience is driving on country back roads and shit. I have ALOT to learn about racing on a track.

in that case.......

I would take your sentra to a HPDE before doing any sort of "building." This will make sure that you know what you're getting into and if you'll even like it (or for that matter if you CAN do it).

I would love to have an m3 but arent they expensive? And I am looking to do an open track day sometime in the near future I hope. Id like to think that Ill do pretty well but, I guess ill just have to find out. How much does it costfor the open track days? Isnt it like $150ish?

e36s (like mine) are getting pretty damn cheap these days, but you'll want to make sure you get one well taken care of because they can easily become maintenance nightmares. I could go on, but I honestly don't think this conversation should go much further about which car to build or buy.

Instead, you should save up and budget a few hundred bucks to go to a driver's event where you will have an instructor run by a reputable organization. I recommend PCA for a first-timer, but NASA, SCCA, BMWCCA, and a few others work just as well.

if you're looking for a street/track car an e36 M3 would be hard to beat.

Doesn't even really have to be a M3...Find an E36 325i. Even if you don't build it for racing you can purchase alot of the parts that the Spec series guys run on their race cars for little or no money because the serires are setup as entry level race series to be done on the cheap. They don't do anything exotic as far as suspension bits etc, just proven platforms that you can bolt togehter and go with great success.

My short term plans are to get a little more serious about auto crossing next season. I plan to invest in some good wheels and tires that I can throw on the car the morning of the events, and possibly use them for more DE's at various tracks. Add to that some more suspension and brake upgrades and I should do OK. I don't really have the expenses necessary for a purpose built car, so I'm gonna take my daily as far as I can.

I agree that experience with whatever car wherever you can get it is golden. Just in the last few months I feel like I've learned a ton, but I know it's just the tip of a gigantic iceberg, so I look forward to getting more seat time in.

You've got a long way to go, so get started! :)

Climb the HPDE ladder and get your comp license, then worry about race class and car. This will take all of 2009, and things may be different for you in 2010. I bought a cage a while back that is no longer legal. pwnt.

http://www.performancetouring.com/ is a great class to start with. You can do whatever car you want, it can be cheap, and you get familiar with a complex set of rules.

lots of good advice/opportunity to get into the community over at trackaddicts.net. send me a pm with your screen name over there and ill see that you are approved. dont even think about asking for a 12 step program, cause there isnt any breaking of this addiction.