A NEW King of the 'Ring has been crowned!

Ry_Trapp01647545522

first, the GT-R throws down a crazy time, then the ZR1 subsequently trumps it, and now the dodge viper ACR just threw down! a new king has been crowned, and its time is 7.22! follow the link for a video.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_0811_2009_dodge_viper_acr_nurburgring_record_video/index.html

You know, someone really needs to set a standard for timin on the 'Ring. I mean, I could beat that time too if I set the start and finish at different spots on the track. If you check the time on the vdeo, he does it in 7:25.

Also, what mods are allowed for setting these times? Are race slicks allowed? What about suspension mods? That viper was low enough to scrape the ground multiple times.

Until there's a standard for these claims, I'll just shrug. It's obvous that right now a fast lap around the 'Ring is a good number from a sales perspective, so it's wide open to being manipulated.

That lap really looked like it could be improved upon. A few bobbles and a missed shift? Is this guy a pro? and as much power as that car has you'd think it would pull in 5th instead of bouncing it off the rev limiter, or bouncing it off the rev limiter, or bouncing it off the rev limiter, or bouncing it off the rev limiter, WTF! I was impressed with the car but not the driving.

You know, someone really needs to set a standard for timin on the 'Ring. I mean, I could beat that time too if I set the start and finish at different spots on the track. If you check the time on the vdeo, he does it in 7:25.

Also, what mods are allowed for setting these times? Are race slicks allowed? What about suspension mods? That viper was low enough to scrape the ground multiple times.

Until there's a standard for these claims, I'll just shrug. It's obvous that right now a fast lap around the 'Ring is a good number from a sales perspective, so it's wide open to being manipulated.

x2

x3. Was thinking the same thing.

I agree. They need conformation. On a slightly different note:

PUT IN GT5 PROLOGUE, NOW! :mad:

Why? Did an update furbar something?

I have to wonder about the GTR in GT5PL. Either Sony's emulation of it sucks, or the magazines that have been singing its praises are lying. IT's so unstable and unpredictable in turns. It'll just randomly bounce between understeer and oversteer...

the cars are supposed to be stock. i can believe the ACR and ZR1, but the fat ass GT-R is a question mark for me. the ACR in this vid is completely stock, it rides on 2 way + height adjustable coilovers and michelin pilot sport cup tires(R compound, optional on porsches and ferraris) from the factory.

hitting the rev limiter has been explained by a racer on a vette board(cant remember the one, i'll try to find it though), he says it was because of the vipers gearing, that it would take longer to upshift then downshift again compared to just bouncing it off the rev limiter. as for the back straight, not sure what the guy was thinking.

the driver IS a pro, he's a driver for zakspeed(euro guys that have competitively raced vipers for years). the SRT guys were only able to rent the track for a half day, and the zakspeed driver had never driven the car before. he said the car was remarkable and like nothing he has ever driven before.

Why? Did an update furbar something?

I have to wonder about the GTR in GT5PL. Either Sony's emulation of it sucks, or the magazines that have been singing its praises are lying. IT's so unstable and unpredictable in turns. It'll just randomly bounce between understeer and oversteer...

Sorry. I meant they need to add the Nurburgring to GT5 Prologue in an update or something.

...hitting the rev limiter has been explained by a racer on a vette board(cant remember the one, i'll try to find it though), he says it was because of the vipers gearing, that it would take longer to upshift then downshift again compared to just bouncing it off the rev limiter. as for the back straight, not sure what the guy was thinking...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Actually if anyone gets Car and Driver, this month they were talking about the huge difference between the 4 GTR's they have tested over the last couple of months. There is an article called "What is the GTR's real horsepower?" There was the first one they tested that everyone was like "OH SNAP" when it ran 0-60 in 3.1s, but in a comparison test in Aug. like two months later that ran 0-60 in 4.1s.

I wouldn't doubt that Nissan/Infiniti sent out a "magazine car" that had the boost turned up to give people an idea of what it was capable of.

Case and point...is the Nurburghring fast lap GTR's boost set at what it will be delivered to the people at? If not....it's just another variable then.

the cars are supposed to be stock.

Key word is "supposed." I think I remember hearing that the GTR was on slicks. Doesn't matter, until there is a standard and an independant doing the timing, no time is official. I won't deny that these cars did the 'Ring in a little over 7 minutes, but when it comes down to seconds or fractions thereof, there's no reliable proof.

the driver IS a pro, he's a driver for zakspeed(euro guys that have competitively raced vipers for years). the SRT guys were only able to rent the track for a half day, and the zakspeed driver had never driven the car before. he said the car was remarkable and like nothing he has ever driven before.

I don't know if the driver they picked for this had experience driving Vipers, what I read is that he currently drives a Seat for WTCC. That's a huge jump in car right there haha.

About the GTR's horsepower: the engines are all hand made so could it be there are huge variations between engines due to how they're built? I imagine they have ways to keep things similar, Mercedes and AMG have been building engines by hand for years without this kind of problem. Just a though...

I don't know if the driver they picked for this had experience driving Vipers, what I read is that he currently drives a Seat for WTCC. That's a huge jump in car right there haha.

did you read that he was a zakspeed driver too? thats what i read, and zakspeed was predomenently(spelling owns me right now) racing vipers very succesfully over in europe. i believe they stopped racing the vipers due to chrysler pulling funding or something though, so that might explain it. every now and then, you can still catch one of the zakspeed dodge vipers on the 'ring(on the webcam) giving someone a ride.