Car accident questions

87GT

So my wife got rear ended a few days ago. It seemed the damage was just on the bumper sagging all over and kind of popped out on the left side of the car. Also there was 2? holes in it and some major scraping lines.

Anyway the claims adjuster explained the lady at fault does not have an active policy with them anymore. Fanfuckingtastic. So my insurance will pay for everything plus no deductible. The inspector will be coming out in a few days to look the car over.

The car is a 97 saturn sl2 with 148,000 but the engine was rebuilt when she bought it at around 120,000 some miles? Can't remember exactly. The car now is probably not worth more then $1000 and I bet they will total out the car. I've never had a car totaled before. We kind of want to keep it since the engine is rebuilt.

What would I have to do if they total it out? We really can not afford buying a new car right now.

You'll probably have the option to buy it back from the insurance company...BUT it'll have a salvage title and you'll have to fix the car and have it inspected by the state prior to being able to register it again. So if they give you $1000 for the car to total it...even if you buy it back for next to nothing if the repair costs are more than what they give you then you're going to end up spending out of pocket anyhow or else you won't be able to drive it at all.

Sucks for you. I had an uninsured motorist hit my wife while she was driving my car a few years back...nothing good came of it, lots of headaches even though my insurance company was first class with the whole thing.

Andy

PITA, just went through all that earlier this year with my Buick. Asshole pulled out in front of me, I was lucky not to get hurt. Anyway, I would just take the money and walk away. Nothing against Saturn, but with it's value you could end up spending money to fix it, seeing as how it's not worth much.

When the shithead on 71S came into my lane and destroyed my Ranger, the guy's insurance company gave me a list of Rangers similar to mine, in the event that I wanted another similar one instead of just cash. I took the cash, because I got more from them than I paid for the truck.

Don't know what it was, but yours might do that too.

honestly doubt they will total it out if its just a bumper cover..

but if they do total it out, just buy it back, with the money they give you through the insurance check, youll have to have it inspected and then get a rebuilt salvage title for it.

I did that once.

I a Mustang that I bought for 750. The hood was tied down with a string. I bought a hood, had it in the grage. The hood flew up and smashed the sun roof, dented the roof between the windshield and sunroof. also smashed the cowl, the area between the hood and windshield. they totaled the car out.

they give me a check for 2800 and sold me the car back for 50 bucks. I had to go and get a salvage title before the would give me the check. then i put a sun roof back in and put the hood that I already had on. After that you have to take it to the Highway Patrol inspection station in order to get plates for it. Keep all reciepts for any parts or labor you have done to fix the car. They just want to make sure you are not stealing cars and building new ones.

JJ

I did that once.

I a Mustang that I bought for 750. The hood was tied down with a string. I bought a hood, had it in the grage. The hood flew up and smashed the sun roof, dented the roof between the windshield and sunroof. also smashed the cowl, the area between the hood and windshield. they totaled the car out.

they give me a check for 2800 and sold me the car back for 50 bucks. I had to go and get a salvage title before the would give me the check. then i put a sun roof back in and put the hood that I already had on. After that you have to take it to the Highway Patrol inspection station in order to get plates for it. Keep all reciepts for any parts or labor you have done to fix the car. They just want to make sure you are not stealing cars and building new ones.

JJ

How did you get the car to the OHP inspection facility? Did you have to trailer it there?

I'm about to go thru this process as well. The T-Bird I have was totaled by the insurance co. and it only needed a fender and hood. After reading on http://www.oplates.com what you need to do to get the inspection I found that you need to have a receipt for any major body part replacement. They said nothing about fixing the parts that are on the car and they could care less if the car is road worthy or not. Like Crawdad said they're just making sure you're not using stolen parts.

If you do end up buying the Saturn back, you'll have to buy an inspection package from the BMV for $50. That'll give you a number that you give to the OHP when you make the appointment to get the inspection done. (at the Alum Creek Dr. BMV)

It's really a shame that these older cars get totalled so easily. The insurance co that totaled my T-Bird said that the cost of the hood alone totaled the car. He said it would cost a little over $1600 for the hood. Funny I bought a perfect condition one for $100 and what was even funnier was the insurance co. told my buddy that they would give him $400 for the car if HE kept it. If the insruance co. had to dispose of it they would only give him $200. That's why I got it for free.

There are a few options...

If the car is a reliable drivable car, one option is to write you a check for 80% of the vehicle value to not total it.

The other is the insurance company can replace the car with a comparable like model car.

Or they can total it and you can buy it back.

Being a 97 an insurance company is going to write used or aftermarket parts. This will save money and keep it under a total loss situation. I would guess the estimate would be around 800 to replace the cover on your car.

Keep us up to date on what happens.

Since you have the right to have it repaired at the shop of your choice, is it possible to request a shop do it that will agree to only quote you for just under the total-out value? Say for example the quote was for a replaced bumper and rattle-can spray painting, could you then elect to use that shop, have the insurance company cut you the check, and keep the money and the car?

Or put another way, is it insurance fraud if you get a shop to *under-quote* a repair?

Here is the car that hit her. She owns an Infinity and no insurance = FAIL

Not pictured on the left of the saturn the bumper is popped out and pushed up.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/CR/3.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/CR/1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/trowabarton420/CR/2.jpg

Get on autotrader or any other car site and find some cars in the somewhat same condition within your area, with the same mileage and show them the average of what the car is worth in similiar condition. That should help bring up the value of what it is worth.

If you can find a shop that will give you a "contract price" to repair the vehicle that is under the vehicle value less the salvage value, your insurance company should have no problem cutting the check and calling the claim closed. For that matter, you can enter into a contract price agreement with the insurance company to keep the vehicle under the total loss threshold.

My Contour was nearly totaled a few years ago due to hail damage, I told my insurance company I couldn't afford to let the vehicle total, and told them I would give them an agreed price for the damage, and there would be no supplement. I got my check in the mail a few days later.

A year and a half ago, I hit a deer with the same car, and there was no getting around it, totalled. I had to go to the bmv and get the title status changed to "salvage". Took the salvage branded title to the ins. co. and got my check. I then went to U Pull and Pay, bought my parts (make sure you have the yard put the vin of the vehicle the parts are coming from on the invoice), then went to the bmv and bought a rebuilt salvage inspection receipt. Once you have the receipt, you can call the inspection station and set an appointment to have the inspection done. The whole process took about 3 months as the inspection station stays booked up weeks in advance.

**edit**

I started typing this at 1:30, then got sidetracked with work. Looks like 360Iroc already covered it for ya.

Totally legit way...

Having the paper work right beside you normally gets you on your way if anything were to happen.

it has been a few years since i did this but if i remember correctly. I called the inspection place and that is what they told me to do. Just have my paper work ready to show the officer and there wouldn't be a problem.

Totally legit way...

Having the paper work right beside you normally gets you on your way if anything were to happen.

If you look at the fine print, purchasing the inspection receipt also buys you 1 round trip registration. As long as you've got the receipt with you (you have to have it for the OHP to inspect the car anyway) you have a valid transportation registration on the day of the inspection, to and from the inspection facility.

If you look at the fine print, purchasing the inspection receipt also buys you 1 round trip registration. As long as you've got the receipt with you (you have to have it for the OHP to inspect the car anyway) you have a valid transportation registration on the day of the inspection, to and from the inspection facility.

Exactly!

My advice is to let the adjuster look at it, then immediately start tearing into it. Pull the cover off and inspect the bumper structure, the mounts, and the bulkhead and frame around the mounts. If the bulkhead and frame are damaged, write it off and take the total from the insurance company. If the bulkhead and frame aren't damaged beyond a slight wrinkle here and there, DO NOT let them total it. Go to a junkyard and find the right mounts and cover, and do the repair yourself, then pocket the repair or 80% form the insurance company. You could easily come out ahead in this deal.

you know whats BS, when my old car got totalled out from the hail storm, nationwide told me they "could not" sell me the car back because it would have a salvage title and they couldnt have that responsibility or some BS.

I have State Farm. No Problems at all.